I was wondering if anyone could tell me what Fender Stratocaster (or a Tele if it would be better suited) would be good all-round and deliver the best possible tone for around £400?

I want to play anything from The Strokes, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, etc, so I want something versatile which can also handle high distortion well and feels good to play.

Any suggestions about where I could get it in London for a good price would be helpful too.

Thanks.

Maybe an HSS Standard Strat. That should nail the Hendrix and Floyd, and give you some better high-gain sounds.
Well, Fender Mexican Standard strat is the number one choice. You could try the 60's strat, also made in mexico, but with more of a vintage flavour, good for hendrix n' stuff. I think the guy from the Strokes actually uses one of those, although I'm not sure.

However, the Standard has a little more power under the hood and works with gain. It's not the best metal guitar, though. If you want something really versatile, look for one with an HSS setup, cos that gives you the best of both worlds.
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I was also wondering what neck would you prefer to get: Maple or Rosewood and why?

And where I could get it in London would be sooooo helpful.

Thanks
Last edited by walidb123 at Mar 15, 2007,
Well, seeing as Fender is a well-known international brand, just about any guitar shop worth its salt should stock them. As for the neck wood, it's a matter of choice. I went with maple, but some prefer rosewood.
The neck wood is just personal prefernce, i went with maple on mine and i love it. Just try out the maple neck and rosewood and see which one you like better.
david gilmour used a tele for a period of time... also teles are suited more towards gain... and they have a really nice treble bite (which would be good for the strokes)

not sure how well it handles hendrix forgot to play voodoo child when i was trying them out...
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by sashki
Well, Fender Mexican Standard strat is the number one choice. You could try the 60's strat, also made in mexico, but with more of a vintage flavour, good for hendrix n' stuff. I think the guy from the Strokes actually uses one of those, although I'm not sure.

However, the Standard has a little more power under the hood and works with gain. It's not the best metal guitar, though. If you want something really versatile, look for one with an HSS setup, cos that gives you the best of both worlds.

You mean Nick? He plays an epihone riviera with a p-94...

TS, I'd say go for the sixties strat, the standard will do all that stuff, but the sixties just makes it look sweet.

And I'm personally against the HSS ones, they no longer sound like strats, and you can get a thicker tone with the right amp, you don't need a humbucker.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by walidb123
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I was also wondering what neck would you prefer to get: Maple or Rosewood and why?

rosewood is my favourite but have a feel for both
get a fender strat for shure!
stratocasters seem to be more universal and extreemly versatile so ezy to play but is a proffesional guitar they have a great unsurpassable sound i personally dont like telecasters they have a verry twangy sound to them and can only reely play one type of music.
what amp are u using?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
If you're in London try Denmark Street just off Charing Cross Road, a whole street of guitar shops. Also theres a Sound Control in the Virgin Megastores basement on Oxford Street. Don't know if you can get anything at a 'good price' in London though.
Quote by hamish5178
You mean Nick? He plays an epihone riviera with a p-94...

No, not nick...the other guy. They have 2 guitarists, don't they? There's this one guy in all the music videos, whose name I don't know, but he plays a white strat.
Maple fingerboard with give a brighter snappier tone. Rosewood board will give a warmer smoother tone. Bends are usually easier to do on a rosewood board. For Gilmour and Hendrix sound I would go with a maple board. But you might try a maple board and find out you hate it. So my advice is go compare in person. I wouldn't decide which board to get without trying first.
Gear: Yamaha AES 620 Equipped with SD JB+APH-1
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Equipped with BKP Mothers Milk
Fender Pro Jr., Traynor YCV 50, Diamond J-Drive MK3, Fulltone 70's Fuzz, Teese RMC Wizard Wah, Boss dd-3, Boss CE-5, Korg DT-10 pedal tuner.
Quote by yoshima
If you're in London try Denmark Street just off Charing Cross Road, a whole street of guitar shops. Also theres a Sound Control in the Virgin Megastores basement on Oxford Street.

yep
Quote by Burtonjp
Bends are usually easier to do on a rosewood board.

Doubt you'd be able to tell in a blind test. Perhaps this assumption came from playing two 'exact' guitars, one of which slipped through quality control... or had different gauge strings

I went for maple on my tele. I think it just looks alot cleaner.
You won't be around forever girl, you gotta grab life with both hands.

Gear:
USA Fender Telecaster
Tweed Fender Blues Junior
Boss DD-3
Boss RC-2
Boss BD-2
Boss GE-7
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Handmade AB box
MXR Micro Amp Clone
Quote by Matt_M_2002
Doubt you'd be able to tell in a blind test. Perhaps this assumption came from playing two 'exact' guitars, one of which slipped through quality control... or had different gauge strings

You're on. The feel are night in day. I own both and I've played a hell of a lot of both. No quality control here.. The difference of trying to do a bend on a nitro sprayed maple board and a rosewood board is VERY different.
Fender Pro Jr., Traynor YCV 50, Diamond J-Drive MK3, Fulltone 70's Fuzz, Teese RMC Wizard Wah, Boss dd-3, Boss CE-5, Korg DT-10 pedal tuner.
Yeah go with a Strat with a maple neck. Try to get an older one, there's a few around my area that are selling them for $300-400.

But I highly recommend trying out the Tele, you may find yourself liking them more. I like my Tele more than my Strat.
yeah, dude, teles are better, but strats are more universal. teles do what they do better, but strats do more.

also, i prefer rosewood, because that was what my first guitar had.
A relaxed singer is a singer in control.

Quote by whocares09
"HOT DAMN LITTLE JIMMIES TOUCHIN HIS CACK N BALLS!! YEEHAH!"

OMFG!!! HAHAHAHA!

www.myspace.com/johnny_1990
Quote by Matt_M_2002

Should it even matter? The strings shouldn't be touching the fretboard right?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by hamish5178

They sure can be. Depends on Action, Your bending style, Fret height. Fender's 'vintage frets' are quite low meaning your bendin up on that board. Lotta friction on the ol' nitro they use on the maple boards.
Quote by hamish5178

Strings might not touch the fretboard, but your finger will (at least my finger slides across when bending). The finish on the fretboard might have a very different feel (glossy maple vs satin rosewood).