All right, so I have a Fender acoustic, and I just got an old Squier Strat from my sister. Right now all I have is a cheap silvertone practice amp that my dad bought at a pawn shop a few years ago. Anyways, I'm buying a new Vox amp next week so I can use my sisters electric, as well as my acoustic-electric on it. Besides the obvious of changing the strings on the Squier, what are some other simple and cheap improvements I can do to improve the sound of the Squier. Also, what type of strings would you all recommend. I use Elixirs on my acoustic, but I've never really tried out any types of electric strings, so if you could offer me an opinion on that as well. Thanks for any help.
like, umm, pickups, hardware and other stuff. i guess it doesnt really make a difference what strings you use (except for when playing bass).
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
DR Titewounds are the best. I absolutely love them. As for little things you can do to improve it, get some GHS Fast Fret and wipe the neck down with it, that makes the fretboard as smooth as butter.
UG RPG - Big Band Jazz Group
Buckethead4Prez - String Bass

PM me to Join
D'Addrio regular light gauge. Probably some better tuners. Cheap pickups. thats about all you can do really. Unless you want to get real serious and start changing the neck etc.
Be cool.
I was thinking about getting pickups, but I think that the amp will have more of an effect on the sound than pickups. I'll only have enough for one or the other, so I'll just get the amp for now and save up for pickups later. If strings brand doesn't really matter, will the gauge make a difference? I think I heard somewhere that it does. Thanks
Quote by s0c13tysuckz
I was thinking about getting pickups, but I think that the amp will have more of an effect on the sound than pickups. I'll only have enough for one or the other, so I'll just get the amp for now and save up for pickups later. If strings brand doesn't really matter, will the gauge make a difference? I think I heard somewhere that it does. Thanks

Yes, gauge makes a difference. I wouldn't get a higher gauge then .10. A)they probably will be too thick for your guitar to handle. B)harder to play in some cases. The amp will make more of a difference than the pups, so good choice there.
Be cool.
Quote by s0c13tysuckz

I think it wouldn't be worth it to get new pickups on a squire. Save up your money for a nice guitar.
Gear:

Guitar
Recording king RD 22
Ibanez Jet King JTK2
Dean bass guitar

Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212
Bass Acoustic b100
Quote by Phantom-x
I think it wouldn't be worth it to get new pickups on a squire. Save up your money for a nice guitar.

+1
Be cool.
Get good new pups, and if you ever switch to a better guitar, move the pups over to it.

Consider switching to a HSS pup configuration, which will also require a new pick guard, but I believe all Squier's are routed for that. This way, if you upgrade all your pups, at least some of them will transfer over to a newer/better guitar. Or just get a nice humbucker which will transfer over to other guitars nicely at a later date.

I have an HSS Mexi-Strat that I am upgrading to 2 Vintage Noiseless and a SD Jeff Beck in the bridge. As long as I keep my original pups, if I ever get a better guitar, I can move some or all of those pups to the new one and just put the old pups back into my Strat before I sell it or trade it in.
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
An amp does make more sense with this guitar than new pickups. Maybe look into a Vox or a Roland Cube. If the old Silvertone is SS just about anything would have to be better, although one of the sweetest amps I ever heard was a Silvertone 1481 I had many years ago.

As for the Squier, restring it with D'Addarios or EB Slinkys (nickel wound either way) and do a good setup on it. It may surprise you and ultimately be worthy of at least an inexpensive set of pickups. Something else you might research, since you did say an OLD Squier is to see if it might be MIJ or MIK. Some of those guitars (a lot of them, really) will cut the nuts off a MIM and not give up a lot to a MIA.
Hey everyone thanks for the help. I just got back from the local Guitar Center and I got a set of .10 EB Slinkys. I can already tell a difference from the strings from target that my sisters boyfriend put on it.

I also played around with some amp's with a few of the Squiers that they had there. I was thinking of either getting the Vox AD15VT, or the Marshall MG15DFX. They're both in the same price range and I liked the tone of each. Can anyone give me there opinions on these amps? Or suggest a good one for mainly practicing and recording within a 100$-200% price range? Thanks.
Between the Vox AD and the Marshall MG, the Vox, hands down. Maybe one of the little Epi tube combos? Might be doable with some haggling at GC. Even better, save a few more bucks and look into the 5 watt Crate Palamino for around $279. Definitely worth the wait. I played with one of those a couple of weeks ago and will end up with one eventually.

Check out some used amps. A couple of hundred might come up with something worthwhile.
I was looking at the Roland cube amps and they look like they'd be pretty good. However I know that our Guitar Center doesnt have any out that you can play on. I'm not sure if any of the other music stores around will have any or not, I'm planning on going out later. Between Vox and Roland who makes better amps for the price?