it seems to be used sarcastically most of the time on this forum, but i was playing battlefield 2 yesterday after about 4 months of not touching a game, and people actually talk like that in real life someone said on the server.

now it also seems to me they probably dont have a life, but thats just me judging them.

i guess my question here is, how did n00b language even start?

bY wIch I meanZ Dis n00bZerz!!one!11leleven
d00d |tz c4||3d t3|-| |337$p34|< n00b
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
gamerz... especially WoW nerds lol.. ive played wow since a couple months after release (december of 04) and alot of them will use l33t speak.
It's called leet, not noob language. Some people would prefer 1337. But I read the entire history on Wiki because I never understood half the stuff. I don't know, I guess I'm old fashioned and prefer regular typing. Throwing letters and numbers together to make words seems like it takes way too much extra time.
I believe John Thompson invented it. Either him or a group of nerds.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
13375p34|< w45 1n\/3n73d |3y (0un73|2-57|21|<3 g4m3|25 |34(|< 1n t3H d4y.

1 4m 707411y 10100111001
Free your mind
Last edited by why1not1try at Mar 15, 2007,
Quote by guitaristehsick
gamerz... especially WoW nerds lol.. ive played wow since a couple months after release (december of 04) and alot of them will use l33t speak.

You sir a a n00b... It has its roots dating back farther than WOW has been around. The main root that is a common acceptance among many types of computer groups is from the hacker subculture. As it is a form of a cypher, a means to disguise a message or create a hidden message. Cryptography is a interest to many hackers and thus leet, l33t, or 1337 speak were, in the beginning, used to help disguise messages or create ways to circumvent keyword filters and/or censorship. Then began the demise into pop culture where it made its ways to places many people of the hacker subculture were also present, such as video games and online chatting.

Note this is not an official definition, but being part of the hacker subculture I've seen it in use way before this person and I do remember when it had not caught on to main stream pop culture.
A guitar is your personality expressed through 6 strings.
Quote by why1not1try
13375p34|< w45 1n\/3n73d |3y (0un73|2-57|21|<3 g4m3|25 |34(|< 1n t3H d4y.

1 4m 707411y 10100111001

WTF?

see this is what im talkin about. its ****ing unreadable
4chan at a guess...

It probably wasn't just the one guy, just a collaboration of nerds; with, I hate to say it, a very good imagination.
i know the word ''pwned'' was invtented on a nintendo game. i am not sure which one. and it probably evolved from there. as for ''noob language'' i seriously doubt this, but if it IS true - sad, sad day for humanity.
Quote by chaoticgeek
You sir a a n00b... It has its roots dating back farther than WOW has been around. The main root that is a common acceptance among many types of computer groups is from the hacker subculture. As it is a form of a cypher, a means to disguise a message or create a hidden message. Cryptography is a interest to many hackers and thus leet, l33t, or 1337 speak were, in the beginning, used to help disguise messages or create ways to circumvent keyword filters and/or censorship. Then began the demise into pop culture where it made its ways to places many people of the hacker subculture were also present, such as video games and online chatting.

Note this is not an official definition, but being part of the hacker subculture I've seen it in use way before this person and I do remember when it had not caught on to main stream pop culture.

dude i know i was just saying that WoW players will use it all the time.
Quote by guitaristehsick
dude i know i was just saying that WoW players will use it all the time.

Well if you read his post you would have realized that he was asking where it came from. If you meant that they use it that is fine but since you never said that in your post one would have thought you were replying to his post. In which case you would be severely wrong. Of different people who use it it can be any group related to technology, so many people on forums, and people who use IM and text message as their main forum of communication. The list could go on and on not just gamers.
Quote by sars
i know the word ''pwned'' was invtented on a nintendo game. i am not sure which one. and it probably evolved from there. as for ''noob language'' i seriously doubt this, but if it IS true - sad, sad day for humanity.

I thought pwned started as an MMORPG in-joke that's now gone out of hand, because someone wrote p instead of o
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I thought pwned started as an MMORPG in-joke that's now gone out of hand, because someone wrote p instead of o

Warcraft III if im not mistaken, which is also the birthplace of roflcopter, when someone masses gyrocopters, the worst unit in the game.
Quote by Alexander_BR
Warcraft III if im not mistaken, which is also the birthplace of roflcopter, when someone masses gyrocopters, the worst unit in the game.

What about the ascii text picture of a helicopter that is all done with the letters "R", "O", "F", and "L"? That was done before Warcraft III came out...
Quote by Alexander_BR

They're good in numbers... really, really big numbers
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
They're good in numbers... really, really big numbers

I had 40 of them once and i tried to kill a demon hunter with them, he did his morph thing and didnt even take half of his life before they were all dead.
Aha4a4a4a!!11!!one!11!! fr00bs4uc3, 1tz c411ed w1ip3di14!!1 roflsauce l0llerc0ast3r!1!!!
l337 sp33k f teh w1n!!11!!!

i beileive counterstrike helped a great deal with it too.
Quote by Alexander_BR
I had 40 of them once and i tried to kill a demon hunter with them, he did his morph thing and didnt even take half of his life before they were all dead.

Gyro's are intented for AA and building destruction,
thats why you gotta get GC bombs + tier them.
But it only works with other teams, if you mass gyrocopters in a FFA you'll get uber pwned.

Oh, and you couldn't have had 40 of em cause they are 3 food per, which would put you over the upkeep cap...
Last edited by natel0083 at Mar 15, 2007,