What tuning key do you think works best for power metal?
well actually im going for like a thrashy powermetal stlye.
1) In my opinion, these types of questions are from idiots who can't think or decide for themselves.
2) I prefer Drop C for newer Thrash.
standard. nuff said.
VAN HALEN - March 13 at the Izod

Quote by xchiefx
What kind of idiot mows the street
Drop c is used by awesome people who can play great guitar like alexei laiho but depends on taste i guess i like the drop c its really good depending on wat you wanna play but shredders like Herman Li use standard i think :S then again you can always play drop d like maiden for some old school metal lol iunno really depends
Epi les paul custom Dimebuckers & Duncan Distortion
Boss ME 50 multi effects
Dime Distortion
Fender Strat with Floyd Rose Tremolo 2 stock single coil & humbucker pups
Fender Chorus Amp
yeah
Boss ME 50 multi effects
Dime Distortion
Fender Chorus Amp
lol i guess but he needs help so i mean its not that bad
Boss ME 50 multi effects
Dime Distortion
Fender Chorus Amp
For math metal(my main style on guitar), def. Standard.

For death metal, B or A.

For black metal, standard.

Those are the tunings I use.

Plus sometime D for grindcore and death metal.
Quote by Everybody
Plus_the_Bear is the entertainment event of the holiday season!

My rig:

Ibanez Custom Chinese Fireball
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
2 Crate solid state half-stack cabinets and ampheads.
Digitech 2000 Whammy/Wah Pedal
Dunlops Picks
Quote by insideac
for power metal, standard, so you dont have to transpose your scales that youll wank

Thank you thats what i was looking for, i just wasnt sure if there was a basis for powermetal tuning or if it was your own taste kinda thing
Yeah, and also, there are certain shapes that are played on standard tuning alot as well. Such as picking a fret on the A string, and then picking the same fret on the E string, it wont work as well in a Drop tuning, for power metal. This is why theres no Drop tuned power metal bands.
That's why I avoided calling my down tunings DROP. Drop tunings are not the same as down tunings.

If you really want to play in C, do it in C standard and Not Drop C.

Btw...the G Major Chord is a bitch to play in A form.
Quote by Everybody

My rig:

Dunlops Picks
Quote by Noob_Cakes12
Drop c is used by awesome people who can play great guitar like alexei laiho but depends on taste i guess i like the drop c its really good depending on wat you wanna play but shredders like Herman Li use standard i think :S then again you can always play drop d like maiden for some old school metal lol iunno really depends

'awsome people who can play great guitar'? That is the most pointless thing to say. People who are 'great' guitarists don't have to play in drop C and playing in drop C doesn't make you a 'great' guitarist.

And 'drop d like maiden'. Uh, hate to burst your bubble but, uh... they played in standard .
Quote by Noob_Cakes12

Wait wait. What?! Dude. Symphony X uses D standard. Necrophagist uses D standard. Yngwie Malmsteen uses Eb. The actual tuning doesnt even matter. If you can play something in standard, you can play it in E, D, C or B standard and itll sound the same, just lower. It wont make you a worse or better guitarist. Same with Dropped tunings. If you can play in Drop D, you can play in all drop tunings. I dont know why you all worry about the letter, followed by "Dropped" or "standard". The threadstarter just wants to know what would be easier, STANDARD in general, or DROPPED in general.
Yngwie Malmsteen would suck no matter what tuning he uses.

EDIT: The thread starter DID specify Drop C...so he was not asking Drop in general.
Quote by Everybody

My rig:

Dunlops Picks
Last edited by Plus_the_Bear at Mar 15, 2007,
I like the sepultra d standard...but any lower and my balls will vibrate and i'll come in my pants (very embarrasing onstage)
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by Plus_the_Bear
Yngwie Malmsteen would suck no matter what tuning he uses.

EDIT: The thread starter DID specify Drop C...so he was not asking Drop in general.

Tru dat, but he didnt mention what standard tuning....I assumed he just thought Drop C was the only Drop tuning...or something. I dunno, some kids think like that.
Quote by insideac
Tru dat, but he didnt mention what standard tuning....I assumed he just thought Drop C was the only Drop tuning...or something. I dunno, some kids think like that.

Trust me, I know guitar n00bs.

There is some kid who has down basic tapping, and he(plus my whole school thinks he is better than I, while I can legato tap, 6 string sweep, hybrid pick(shred style) and so on and so forth. It ****ing bugs the hell out of me. He;s one of those mpopular punk/emo(fake emo) kids who thinks he's the shit. What morons. I'd like to see him try and legato tap and then tell me he's better.
Quote by Everybody

My rig:

Dunlops Picks
Quote by Plus_the_Bear
Trust me, I know guitar n00bs.

There is some kid who has down basic tapping, and he(plus my whole school thinks he is better than I, while I can legato tap, 6 string sweep, hybrid pick(shred style) and so on and so forth. It ****ing bugs the hell out of me. He;s one of those mpopular punk/emo(fake emo) kids who thinks he's the shit. What morons. I'd like to see him try and legato tap and then tell me he's better.

I know!! Just cuz they dress cooler, they are automatically called better. Theres this kid in my school, a 10th grader. Im a 12th grader. Anyways, he is OBSESSED with Avenged Sevenfold, met them like 3 times, and owns like 12 really expensive guitars, and can play every avenged sevenfold song, I hear. And so, everyone thinks that he is the best. Well, not that many people have heard me at my school, and I dont bring my guitar to school to show off or anything, but at my schools battle of the bands, his band is playing, and so is mine, so Im hoping to show him a thing or two
First off...who ****in' cares? It's a god damn tuning. Don't ask for an opinion on an open-ended question, it's pointless.

Oh, and to be even more of an asshole. *reported* No Vs. Threads.

/thread
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7
i hate you mer der. i hope you get a boner and accidently fall on it.

Quote by rocknrollstar
Excuse my stupidity , but what is a urethra ?

Im guessing anus.
Quote by mer_der_noms
First off...who ****in' cares? It's a god damn tuning. Don't ask for an opinion on an open-ended question, it's pointless.

Oh, and to be even more of an asshole. *reported* No Vs. Threads.

/thread

Dude chill, lol. its not really a VS thread, like a fight to see who sucks and who doesnt, the kinds of VS threads that arent allowed are the stupid ones like megadeth vs metallica, who is better, kirk vs james, etc etc. And of course you have to care what kind of tuning it is. There is a huge difference between a drop tuning and a standard tuning. Its not exactly open ended either, because there arent really any power metal bands that use a dropped tuning. He was just asking because he didnt know, and needed to be informed. If his question wasnt allowed here, it definately wouldnt be allowed in the electric guitar or musician talk forums either, cuz they are more strict about everything, and then he'd have no where to ask his question. Its a freakin forum, let him ask his thing, there was nothing wrong with it

Good day
So he was asking a question about what tuning would work better for Power Metal? I'm not treating it as a stupid thread or anything, just pointless and unneeded. I don't really think this topic warranted a thread for he could have simply asked in either a Power Metal thread, Only Thrash thread, or any other threads open and available to him at this point and time.

I'm not being an "elitist" nor am I trying to cause a problem here. I stated my thoughts in the paragraph above me, there is no need to reitarate.
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7
i hate you mer der. i hope you get a boner and accidently fall on it.

Quote by rocknrollstar
Excuse my stupidity , but what is a urethra ?

Im guessing anus.
Jesus christ...just let him ask. not every post has to be in an "only" thread.
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
doesnt matter both have multiple notes that you can put together to make great riff, in any tuning.
I prefer standard for most stuff except for grind. For that I use Carcass' sexy 2.5 steps down. Standard works best for power metal, and for trash you could try 1/4 step or standard. Your choice, you can make most stuff work your way if you know what you're doing.
i got a tab that had maiden in d :s
Boss ME 50 multi effects
Dime Distortion
Fender Chorus Amp
Quote by insideac
I know!! Just cuz they dress cooler, they are automatically called better. Theres this kid in my school, a 10th grader. Im a 12th grader. Anyways, he is OBSESSED with Avenged Sevenfold, met them like 3 times, and owns like 12 really expensive guitars, and can play every avenged sevenfold song, I hear. And so, everyone thinks that he is the best. Well, not that many people have heard me at my school, and I dont bring my guitar to school to show off or anything, but at my schools battle of the bands, his band is playing, and so is mine, so Im hoping to show him a thing or two

Dude play some dragonforce and pull off herman li's crazy video game sounds in his solos he like double pedals with like a wah and the digitech whammy octaver i was like:O im gonna find the link off youtube i saw and post it back lol
Boss ME 50 multi effects
Dime Distortion
Fender Chorus Amp
and so what the kid can only play avenged :s thats like being very narrow minded on your music and not trying to play a variety of things :S besides that i mean im not trashing avenged either they have their songs that are good and those i tend to dislike but then again back to tunings and wtv
Boss ME 50 multi effects
Dime Distortion
Fender Chorus Amp
This thread = fail

And standard, quite obviously, though technically you can still make power metal in either, and have them sound good, further destroying any purpose in this thread.
Quote by Sheepbane
What tuning key do you think works best for power metal?
well actually im going for like a thrashy powermetal stlye.

Eb.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
if you want some good thrash a band i like unearth uses like drop b i think and they use 7 strings
Boss ME 50 multi effects
Dime Distortion
Fender Chorus Amp
old snyper quote:
its not the tuning you use, its how you use it
My sig is better than yours