I don't know if this is the right forum, but I want to know what wet/dry sanding is. I want to know because I hear after you put on a coat of paint on a guitar, you wet/dry sand it or something like that, so can anyone help?

Thanx,

- Patrick
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
i always thought it was for plastic and metal but i may be wrong

Quote by Black60Jack
WTF is a scale any way.

You don't want to dry sand a recently painted guitar, dude.

As for wet sand, I don't really know.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
anybody else?
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
You wet sand the clear coats and stuff when rubbing them down to either apply another coat or to buff it up or whatever. Can't remember why exactly, but you should always wet sand lacquer and things. Dust prevention? anti-clogging? I can't remember, but I know that you should do it.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
In wetsanding, you usually soak your fine grit sandpaper for 24 hours (recommended) and you use it to smooth the potential globs or blobs of paint that accumulates when your spraycan or gun spits. It's also useful for smoothing out the demarcation line when you "mask", specially on multi-color graphics design.

For example, if you paint a white star on top of a blue background using a mask, when you remove the mask, the White star's straight lines will be thicker than the Blue background. Before clearcoating, you want to ensure the demarcation lines between the White and Blue is smooth to the touch. If you skip the wetsanding and go straight to clearcoating, the difference in the thickness will be amplified, specially if you're looking to spray 20 coats of clear.