I have to learn a bunch of song for this play at my school. Its a music theatre course, where we play songs and get a credit. Anyways, the songs are pretty much all chords... not tabbed or in music, just says the chords. And these chords are pretty complex. So I need help on what some of the stuff means and I need some site or resource where I can find them all. This site..http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/ has alot but not all. I cant find stuff like F#7(6)... So where can I fidn all these crazy chords. Also what does the little triangle mean? and the circle? and the crossed out circle in some chords? I need to know what the notes are in these chords so I can tab it in Guitar Pro.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
I recommend the Guitar Grimoire chord book. You can get it for $20 at borders.
If you have guitar pro then just use the chord software on there! On the note toolbar the little button with an A minor chord on it, press that and just enter the chord you need. Also learning about chord construction would be useful for you I think so you know why the chord has those notes in. Chord construction dosn't take all that long to learn and is fairly simple when you understand the basics. good luck!
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

not sure about the little triangle...

but the circle means a diminished 7 chord - chord formula 1 b3 b5 bb7
and the crossed out circle means half diminished 7th- chord formula 1 b3 b5 b7

and you should also look into how chords are formed, and you wont need to rely on programs to make the chord for you...
learn how to build chords, and mess around with that. There are a couple lessons on here.
The triangle means Maj7 (aka A(triangle) is Amaj7.)
The circle with the line through it is Half diminished, aka m7b5.
The circle without the line means diminished.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

mmm Yes im going to learn about chords but for now I havent got the time I msut tab this. So what is E(triangle)7??? and if i have one with the circle... what does that means exactly... diminished... but what would I write? Right now I dont know my chord building and theory but I will get to it soon enough. So if its diminished how would i put that into a program?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
Quote by Devon8822
mmm Yes im going to learn about chords but for now I havent got the time I msut tab this. So what is E(triangle)7??? and if i have one with the circle... what does that means exactly... diminished... but what would I write? Right now I dont know my chord building and theory but I will get to it soon enough. So if its diminished how would i put that into a program?

Etriangle7 would mean Emaj7 (i think it can stand for maj7 or just maj..but whatever).
E diminished would be 1 - b3 - b5. If it were to say E(circle)7, that would be Ediminished7, (fully diminished), which means 1 - b3 - b5- bb7.

Emaj7, Edim, Edim7

e-0---x---x--|
B-9---9---8--|
G-8---x---6--|
D-9---8---8--|
A-7---7---7--|
E-x---x---x--|

Thats probably how i'd voice those. The open high E on the Emaj7 isnt necessary, but helps to make it sound more open.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

ok, isn't Emaj7 the same as E7??
Quote by Johnljones7443

Quote by Aidy Damage
^no. Lots of people get these confused. E7 is called "E Dominant 7". It is the V chord in a major chord progression. It is made up of Root - Major 3rd - 5th - Minor 7th.

Emaj7 is called "E major 7". It is most commonly the I chord of a major chord progression. It could also be used as the IV. It is made up of Root - Major 3rd - 5th - Major 7th.

Dominant 7th chords are usually used for a bluesier feel, while Maj7 chords are used for makign a chord thicker, or somewhat mysterious sounding.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

mm ok, I can't find a E maj 7 on my program? would there be something equivilent?
Quote by Johnljones7443

Quote by Aidy Damage
hmm GP doesnt seem to have that chord... I foudn it online and tryed putting it into the chord thing on GP and it didn't know it.
Quote by Johnljones7443

Quote by Aidy Damage
Don't rely on the chord program, just do it yourself. Heres a few voicings for major 7ths(all Emaj7ths but you can move them around) if your stuck( plus theres the voicing 6DgOfInTb listed):

-------7-------------------
-------5-------------4---
--1----8------8------1----
--1----6------6------2------
--2-----------7------2-------
--0---------------------------

the 3rd ones useful if your playing in a jazz big band or something. The 2nd and last ones are a little tricky but they sound really nice. If you move that last one up an octave it sounds really, REALLY nice. I'd use it to end a song. The 7th on top can give a tune a good ending.
"Isn't it amazing anything's accomplished
When the little sensation gets in your way
Not one ambition whisperin' over your shoulder
Isn't it amazing you can do anything " - Gord Downie

From the song " Fireworks"
Last edited by Mikeoman at Mar 15, 2007,
------0---------------------------------
------0----------------------------------
------0---------------------------------
------2---------------------------------
------3--------------------------------
--------------------------------------

Is that chord^^ a EΔ7?
Quote by Johnljones7443

Quote by Aidy Damage
^No. If you wanted to use the delta sign, you'd just write EΔ to signify it's an E major chord with a major seventh.

Δ is mainly used in jazz, and full chord symbols are never written on jazz sheets.. so for Emaj13 you'll just see EΔ or Emaj7, for G13 you'll just see G7, for C-m11 you'll just see C-7 and so forth... just to give you the basic structure of the chord, as the voicings are shown there's no need to write F7(b5, #5, b9, #9) when you can write Falt and look at the what the alterations are, the same applies to writing EΔ instead of Emaj9.
K thanks... What about F#7(6) what the poop does the (6) mean? Like I said I dont have time to learn how to do this stuff myself before I have to have this thing tabbed.
Quote by Johnljones7443

Quote by Aidy Damage
^F#7(6) means F13 (1 - 3 - 5 - b7 - (9) - (11) - 13). The (6) in brackets is used to show that the 6th/13th is added, so your best bet is to use a voicing of F13 in which the 9th and/or 11th isn't included.
Ok, what would this chord look like... D#(circle crossed out)7
Quote by Johnljones7443

Quote by Aidy Damage
D#ø7 = D#7mb5. It is normally shortened to just D#ø meaning a half diminished seventh chord. (Again, even for D#m13b5, D#m9b5 and so forth - all you will see is D#ø.

Here are 5 different voicings of D#ø (D#m7b5) for you..

|-----5---5---9-|
|-7---7---4---7-|
|-6---6---6---8-|
|-7---x---4---7-|
|-6---6-------9-|
|---------------|