I've been trying to learn pinch harmonics... and I can consistently get them to do that really high-pitched sound. But I'm having a hard time doing the more "subtle" pinch harmonics where it basically just alters the tone slightly, without going all crazy, high-pitched sounding.

Any tips on how to get the milder sounding pinch harmonics? Should I be using more/less pick? Hitting the string faster/slower with my thumb? Applying more/less pressure with my thumb?
Try muting the string with your palm a little bit when you hit the pinch harmonic but not too much and it sounds good without being really loud.
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett
hit the pinch harmonic an octave lower?

try hitting some pinches on your low E string, i think they will produce the sound you want
well i think everyones sound different whether its how you do it or just your style. i know that doesnt answer your question but it is just a thought. and also start doing them slower until u get the sound you want.

peace, jbles
Quote by Andjustice.....

i could see that being liek a sign at an entrace to a theme park ,"remember to always be safe dont litter and remember to have a nice day in my pants!"

Quote by Robbie n strat
"If you listen really carefully, you can hear carrots scream when you cut them."
The sound of the pinch harmonic will change depending on where you strike the string
Quote by Punjab
The sound of the pinch harmonic will change depending on where you strike the string

Win.

If you play a string close to the bridge without a pinch, it'll have less vibration. A pinch harmonic turns the vibrations of the string into a higher frequency, so the closer to the neck you hit, the lower the octave.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
Win.

If you play a string close to the bridge without a pinch, it'll have less vibration. A pinch harmonic turns the vibrations of the string into a higher frequency, so the closer to the neck you hit, the lower the octave.

Generally, yeah, but there are some really high-pitched nodes near the bridge as well. It all has to do with the dynamics of the metal and how the wave is divided. There's a lot of science behind it, but there's no need to go through that. Just try to pinch them closer to the brigde, or closer to the neck. There are plenty of "magic spots", and those are the bright ones. You'll need to find a spot where the wave of the string isn't "willing" (for lack of a better term) to be divided into as many shorter ones.
i had this problem as well, and yes striking the string in different places will produce different sounds, but it also depends on the strength of hte attack as well as far as ive found anyways, if your pick attack is really quick and forcefull it will squeal really high, if your attack is a little more mellow so your thumb kinda grazes it enough to half assed mute it it produces that semi-harmonic tone you want. at least thats how i do mine
member of the "proud owner of an Ibanez club" PM goldbuddist to join!

gear:
Deluxe Players Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez RG320FM
Standard Stratocaster
Fender FM212R
Digitech RP400
If your hitting it between the neck and bridge pickups try hitting it in the middle of the neck pickup for a lower note.
Oh ok, I used to have that problem when I first started out on that, it's nothing ot do with octaves and shit, it's just picking it wrongly, after a couple of weeks, I managed to get it down. It's just practice man, keep working at it and you'll get there. Holla
Current Rig:

Ibanez GRG270dx
DOD 40watt amp (don't know the model)
Dunlop Crybaby (moded)

I know it's sad but it'll do for now.

Member of the Nasi Lemak Appreciation Club!
Hmm, I have the opposite problem.
I can sit there and get the high pitched squeal if I try, but in the middle of a song it mostly comes out as a semi harmonic.
And I pinch in the same place each time.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
It's Because of where your hitting the string when go to the pinch harmonic, like if you do Artificial (Pinch) Harmonics when closer to the neck, they will sound darker, farther away and it will sound higher piched.
Hmm, try to strike the string near the neck pickup... Did anyone already say that? :p
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
I though the money answer would be, "Because its a pinch harmonic."

Anyway, try directly above the neck pickup.