I realize there's a rap thread going already, but, I was thinking a topic dedicated solely to the topic of people saying hip hop is dead

I mean true, the "rap" put out today is like 9 times out of 10 crap, but i mean there are a few/quite a bit of exceptions, that show that hip hop/rap ISNT dead, jedi mind tricks, immortal technique, etc

Even in the mainstream pop rap there are a few songs that SUCK lyrically but are still great songs (Throw Some Ds for example)

Thoughts?
Member #2 of The Improve UG Forums Movement, PM Musical Meds To Join

[20:35] <Horrid> I'm gonna go gay for you.

(23:03:22) <OptimusPrime> I hate black people

DOES NOT HATE JOSH KLINGHOFFER
SOAD speaks the truth. PUBLIC ENEMY NUMBA ONE!
--"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."--
Quote by Mynabull
SOAD speaks the truth. PUBLIC ENEMY NUMBA ONE!

yes, PUBLIC ENEMY FTW!!!
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
In this day and age theres no such thing as current good music. Whether it be rap, pop, rock, whatever it all sucks now a days with a very rare few exceptions.
Quote by FLrhcpEA
In this day and age theres no such thing as current good music. Whether it be rap, pop, rock, whatever it all sucks now a days with a very rare few exceptions.

yes, because we know that all new rock sucks... like RHCP
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Quote by SOADrox429
yes, because we know that all new rock sucks... like RHCP

If you'll notice I said with very rare few exceptions. They are one of them.
Quote by yawn
Hip hop is no where near being dead...

He's right, turn on the radio and check the first 10 stations, at least 5 of them will be rap or hip hop (at least where I live)
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
So basicaly this argument has been had a hundred times over. Their is good music to be found if you know how to look. Period. The internet gives you limitless acess to all the music on the planet, so instead of wasting your time complaining, start looking for better music.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Quote by pumpkins_rule
So basicaly this argument has been had a hundred times over. Their is good music to be found if you know how to look. Period. The internet gives you limitless acess to all the music on the planet, so instead of wasting your time complaining, start looking for better music.

+1,000,000
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
okay, there are a couple reasons why i hate rap, and most can agree with at least one of these.

1, it's totally womanizing. it sees women as objects, and that's completely wrong.
2, it isn't real music. it's one big electronically done backing track that is almost impossible to do live. Real hip-hop is good, with the actual bass and guitars and singing and drum kit and ect. i like that. but this new crap is...crap. anyone agree?
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by FLrhcpEA
If you'll notice I said with very rare few exceptions. They are one of them.

i was joking
Quote by FLrhcpEA
Unfortunately.

not all rap is bad, just the rap that they play on the radio and stuff... check out Insane Clown Posse, they're better than any popular rap
Quote by cashewchaching
okay, there are a couple reasons why i hate rap, and most can agree with at least one of these.

1, it's totally womanizing. it sees women as objects, and that's completely wrong.
2, it isn't real music. it's one big electronically done backing track that is almost impossible to do live. Real hip-hop is good, with the actual bass and guitars and singing and drum kit and ect. i like that. but this new crap is...crap. anyone agree?

yes, that is very true, but there are, of course, exceptions to that
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Last edited by SOADrox429 at Mar 15, 2007,
Quote by andrew12398
He's right, turn on the radio and check the first 10 stations, at least 5 of them will be rap or hip hop (at least where I live)

^^True here also, it blows.
Quote by SOADrox429

yes, that is very true, but there are, of course, exceptions to that

the're's an exception to almost everything

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by SOADrox429
not all rap is bad, just the rap that they play on the radio and stuff... check out Insane Clown Posse, they're better than any popular rap

Okay, so these guys are decent considering they are a rap group, but come on they don't have as much talent in their whole bodies that the great musicians of the sixties and seventies had in their left nuts. Meanwhile people go around worshiping these talentless rappers while 80 percent of the people you find on the street wouldn't recognize the names of the great rock, jazz, funk, etc musicians like Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Pat Metheny, Jaco Pastorius, Clapton, Larry Graham, etc. These guys are gods, their musical knowledge and skill and influence is just unbelievable and the years it takes to perfect what they have perfected is something they deserve respect for. But they don't get it from people that listen to shitty rap or crap emo, punk, etc. "rock" of today. Most popular music today really doesn't take much talent at all to play or write, from repeated power chords, with a bass playing root notes, or some guy rapping over an electronically created background, its all just simple talentless crap. And its said they steal the spot light from the greats.
Last edited by FLrhcpEA at Mar 15, 2007,
Quote by cashewchaching

2, it isn't real music.

A hiphop vid telling women to respect themselves
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by cashewchaching

UGGHGHGHGHGHGHGHG I HATE PEOPLE LIKE YOU!!!!

Instead of flaming you to hell I'll just post examples of good rap that has been released within the last five years or so.

Cunninlynguists

MF Doom

Ghostface Killah

Lupe Fiasco

Etc.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

Quote by mydarkesthour

Quote by pumpkins_rule

+27694786738067340634630

Quote by pumpkins_rule
UGGHGHGHGHGHGHGHG I HATE PEOPLE LIKE YOU!!!!

Instead of flaming you to hell I'll just post examples of good rap that has been released within the last five years or so.

Cunninlynguists

MF Doom

Ghostface Killah

Lupe Fiasco

Etc.

Quote by cashewchaching

Okay, maybe i didn't spell it out for you, but again, nowhere did i say that ALL rap is bad, or that ALL hip hop is bad. The VAST MAJORITY is terrible, but there are some true musicians out there. And how is "i hate people like you" in all caps, not flaming?
Infer a little, use a little logic, and cool your jets, man. Even if i did say all rap is bad, life goes on. Just move on.

^Dude, you know how many frigging times we gotta point out that rap in its entirety doesn't suck? Besides, you should've made yourself clearer in the beginning.
Quote by cashewchaching
Okay, maybe i didn't spell it out for you, but again, nowhere did i say that ALL rap is bad, or that ALL hip hop is bad. The VAST MAJORITY is terrible, but there are some true musicians out there. And how is "i hate people like you" in all caps, not flaming?
Infer a little, use a little logic, and cool your jets, man. Even if i did say all rap is bad, life goes on. Just move on.

Well seeing as I have to defend rap pretty much every day, it gets frustrating. Anyway the vast majority of rap is terrible, but then again, the vast majority of any kind of music is terrible. For ever good rock song written, a thousand bland ones are created. Honestly, thier is a large amount of good rap out there just waiting to be discovered. The rap you see on MTV does not constitue the vast majority of hip-hop music.

Quote by mydarkesthour

Quote by mydarkesthour

Yeah, you all got good points. Sorry, all. I'll be clearer next time.

But i gotta admit, it is kinda fun to argue about something once in a while.

Quote by cashewchaching
Yeah, you all got good points. Sorry, all. I'll be clearer next time.

But i gotta admit, it is kinda fun to argue about something once in a while.

Don't get sucked in like I do, I like to get into arguments or debates on a daily basis.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

Quote by FLrhcpEA

Maybe if you actually went out and looked for it instead of being force-fed what's playing on MTV and the radio you'd find it! There are millions of great acts, and only 9 out of ten times is there actually bad Rap, the underground puts out way more good stuff than is ever on a major. You only hear about it more because there's tons of money behind the shit stuff.
I think good rock music is just as dead as good rap music, if you only perscribe to what the radio tells you. If you develop you own tastes and go beyond singles, you may be surprised.
Don't be derivative. Explore...
Quote by INDUSTRIALMETAL
I think good rock music is just as dead as good rap music, if you only perscribe to what the radio tells you. If you develop you own tastes and go beyond singles, you may be surprised.

People always say that, but the thing is, I never actually listen to the music when it's popular, it always takes me longer to get to t he bands so there's no way I can be influenced by MTV, radio, or whatever else people want to blame.
Quote by Zinnie

Quote by cashewchaching
it isn't real music. it's one big electronically done backing track that is almost impossible to do live. Real hip-hop is good, with the actual bass and guitars and singing and drum kit and ect. i like that. but this new crap is...crap. anyone agree?

I'm sorry, i didn't know you had the authority to decide what's real music and what isn't...
Seriously. anyone who thinks you have to use "real instruments" to make "real music", obviously knows very little about music as a whole, and electronic music in particular. Some of the realest musicians of the 20th century used electronic instruments.

But i do think that hip-hop is moving slowly.
Of course there's still good stuff coming out, but it's not like the "golden age" where countless classics were released every year.

I mean, just consider how many great hip-hop albums were made in 1993 for example: Enter the Wu-Tang, 93 Til Infinity, Midnight Marauders, Doggystyle... and that's just one randomly chosen year. Now we have critics as well as fans naming Fishscale as the best hip-hop record of 2006. Sure it was good, but i wouldn't call it a classic and if that's the album of the year then there obviously isn't that much going.

It's also a style that's too conservative for its on good. For example, at least 99% of hip-hop tracks have a 4/4 beat. Hardly anyone even tries to do somethng different there.
Experimentation almost always leads to commercial failure and heavy criticism by stubborn fans who say it isn't "real hip-hop" and that you sound too white or something.
Eg. Electric Circus by Common. Great album, but many hip-hop fans hated it for sounding different (being heavily inspired by psychedelic rock). It wasn't even that unconventional, and still pretty funky and accessible, but he got so much hate for it that he's now all apologetic about it and promises it was just a phase. What a pussy.
And without experimental musicians pushing the creative boundaries of a genre, it's bound to die eventually.
Quote by SOADrox429

Are you sure?
^*chokes on vomit*
Having to defend hip hop in a hip hop thread is ridiculous.

Anyways I don't think hip hop is dead by any means. Like any style of music you have real artists who are always changing and evolving the genre. I don't like Nickelback and even though I feel that they put out the same less than sub par album 4 times in a row (not to mention half of rock radio bands decided it was good and put it out too) I would hardly say rock is dead. I don't think having alot of bad rappers around is going to kill hip hop. Hip hop will die only when talented emcees dissapear.
Quote by SOADrox429

Your opinion now means nothing......
LOL
Quote by pumpkins_rule

Not sure if that was at ME, but i never said it was dead
Member #2 of The Improve UG Forums Movement, PM Musical Meds To Join

[20:35] <Horrid> I'm gonna go gay for you.

(23:03:22) <OptimusPrime> I hate black people

DOES NOT HATE JOSH KLINGHOFFER