Page 1 of 2
So, what kind of guitar player are you? I'm just gonna narrow ti down to three choices. Are you a guitar player who wants to be or is on the level of a professional musician? A guitar player who is a in a band and has no plans on becoming pro and is a decent player. Or lastly, just a once in a while player who impresses people at parties etc?

EDIT: I myself am the second choice. I am trying ti become a decent player, and am in a band. But I just do it for fun, and have no plans on becoming pro.
Be cool.
I don't know what kind of guitar player I am.

I don't care for being in a band or being famous. Though at the moment I am jamming with many bands.

But I take my playing seriously and practice to improve. I try and learn styles of guitar that are appealing to me (for now, Rock/Metal, Jazz, Classical, Shred).

Pretty much, I want to be a good player, but only for myself.

Who cares if you're the best, as long as you are enjoying yourself then that should be fine. I enjoy looking at my progress.
All 3. In a band, looking to be professional, and I show off to people.

I mean, every guitarist shows off at one time or another.
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty
It's not rape if you yell surprise.

Quote by ZanasCross
Girls his dad's age rarely still have nice asses. Gravity attacks.
well, i dont have a band but i do have a drummer. and my goal is to front a band. as far as level going i can play some cob stuff, like everytime i die, hate me, kissing the shadows, silent night bodom night. but i think that i might be the 3rd type of player that you talking about, but im working my way up to be a pro. as far as showing off, why do i practice my ass off everyday for? ( at least 3 hrs a day on work days, all day on off day, i work 4 days 10 hours shift a day at a car dealer ) its to SHOW OFF MAN. i make girls scream when i sweep haha
Last edited by ZombieModeRocks at Mar 15, 2007,
Kind of number 2 but i'm not in a band.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
and to the treadstarter, get that agile man, i have an al2000 and it ****ing rocks.. i totally regret not getting a higher model, but at that time i never touch an agile before so i was skeptical, but its nice man, if u can save up more and get the 3000 the volume pot is a lot better i heard
#2. im 13, so i wont be going pro anytime soon.

i dont really give a f!ck either.

i play guitar cos i love music. i dont care if i have a label. f!ck, ill just release an unsigned record. i want to get my own stuff out there, and hopefully inspire people like i was.

Quote by Arlabester
#2. im 13, so i wont be going pro anytime soon.

i dont really give a f!ck either.

i play guitar cos i love music. i dont care if i have a label. f!ck, ill just release an unsigned record. i want to get my own stuff out there, and hopefully inspire people like i was.

I hope you don't mind me saying.... Anti-Gibson at such a young age? Boy, thats a damn shame. No one should have to suffer the horrible disease of hating a Gibson and playing metal with single coils.
Be cool.
Last edited by thedude051 at Mar 15, 2007,
Quote by thedude051
I hope you don't mind me saying.... Anti-Gibson at such a young age? Boy, thats a damn shame. No one should have to suffer the horrible disease of hating a Gibson and playing metal with single coils.

I dont like Fender or Gibson. Fender would make alot more if they had FR's. I would actually think about playing one then. And gibsons are just ugh.... LP's are too heavy, Flying V are too big, and the explorers need more frets.
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty
It's not rape if you yell surprise.

Quote by ZanasCross
Girls his dad's age rarely still have nice asses. Gravity attacks.
Quote by thedude051

excuse me?

ive played a les paul, a les paul dc and an sg (which was a shame, i didnt like it. i love the shape of sg's.) and they all sucked for me.

plus, ds1 + ts808 + strat = pure sex.

i can be anti-anything i want.

except anti-R_H_C_P. he rox sox.
Quote by AngelOfSorrow
I dont like Fender or Gibson. Fender would make alot more if they had FR's. I would actually think about playing one then. And gibsons are just ugh.... LP's are too heavy, Flying V are too big, and the explorers need more frets.

Ahh dude c'mon. Both are really good brands. Yes each have their faults, but to say what your saying is just stupid. LP's aren't heavy unless your as flat as a pancake and weigh the same as one. If a guy as skinny as Jimmy Page can manage to play one, I'm sure you can too. Flying V's aren't to big, your to small.
Be cool.
Quote by Arlabester
excuse me?

ive played a les paul, a les paul dc and an sg (which was a shame, i didnt like it. i love the shape of sg's.) and they all sucked for me.

plus, ds1 + ts808 + strat = pure sex.

i can be anti-anything i want.

except anti-R_H_C_P. he rox sox.

Easy there Chuck Norris. I wasn't telling you what you can and can't be. I was just saying its a damn shame that you have the disease of hating Gibsons. How cute though, hes going through the rebellious stage.
Be cool.
I'd like to be in a band and become rich and famous off of that but that's not my first choice. I pretty much show off currently! :P
Quote by thedude051
Easy there Chuck Norris. I wasn't telling you what you can and can't be. I was just saying its a damn shame that you have the disease of hating Gibsons. How cute though, hes going through the rebellious stage.

not really.

i just f!cking hate gibson.
Ya, to all the guys who said they show off(which was pretty much everyone), that is one of the cool benefits of playing guitar. You can still be a fairly new player like myself and know a power chord here, a pentatonic minor scale there and non-guitar players think your God. Hehe, I love guitar.
Be cool.
I'm #4

Crap.

But right now I'm rhythm for a band my friends and I started for fun. I think a lot of people would like to be pro, but I play because I love music.
Quote by northerfan666
I'm #4

Crap.

But right now I'm rhythm for a band my friends and I started for fun. I think a lot of people would like to be pro, but I play because I love music.

Same here bro, i know where your coming from. Me and my buddies started a band recently and I was offered the spot of lead guitar. But I am nowhere near good enough so I just filled the spot of rhythm. Music comes first for me to.
Be cool.
I'm....a mixture of a bunch of those, I would like to be a professional musician, I'd love to be a mainstream artist and be succesful and be famous, who wouldnt like that? I'd also like to be in bands and side projects and such, so I'd like to be a mix of all of those.
Number two, but im not in a band, i do solo stuff. Im learning guitar to expand my love of music, and i am planning on making my own music by myself. Thats right, i wanna play drums, guitar, and bass at the same time.
how long have you been playing thedude051? I've been playing for like 8 months or so and I guess I am decent for that amount of time, but i'm still pretty bad :P

Kind of off topic, but has anyone who wants to have a career as a guitar player feel overwhelmed when watching youtube videos and such? Like you'll see these insane shedders and pretty good songwriters who basically went nowhere with it. I wanna play guitar for a living, but sometimes I feel like i'll never make it :P
im a fairly proficient player, but unfortunatly there are very few people into the music im into where i live so i dont have a band
member of the "proud owner of an Ibanez club" PM goldbuddist to join!

gear:
Deluxe Players Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez RG320FM
Standard Stratocaster
Fender FM212R
Digitech RP400
#4. I am a writer and an artist, trying to communicate an idea. I choose the guitar as my medium.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
Quote by northerfan666
how long have you been playing thedude051? I've been playing for like 8 months or so and I guess I am decent for that amount of time, but i'm still pretty bad :P

Kind of off topic, but has anyone who wants to have a career as a guitar player feel overwhelmed when watching youtube videos and such? Like you'll see these insane shedders and pretty good songwriters who basically went nowhere with it. I wanna play guitar for a living, but sometimes I feel like i'll never make it :P

The amount of time I've been playing is in my sig. December 25th 2006. I am pretty decent for the amount of time I have been playing, maybe even a bit better because I practice so damn much. Yeah, I feel overwhelmed when watching videos etc. of those amazing guitar players. The reason most of them never go anywhere I assume is because they might not have any creativity etc. Thats maybe why you see them playing other people's songs.
Be cool.
Yeah which to me isnt very impressive

To make something original and interesting that is what impresses me the most, all of these songs these guys are copying came from a single idea built into a larger one. Make something of your own and even if it sucks to the ears of others at least its yours!
Oh ha ah, stupid me.

Yeah. Or maybe they don't have the charisma to be in a band.

Or they're just too lazy.

But then look at bands like fall out boy. Not exactly the most brilliant players or songwriters, but they have catchy choruses so people like them.
Well I am in a band but we haven't got to play together much. Everytime we want to practice something goes wrong. For example, last time our bassist's string broke for no reason as soon as we got set up.
Quote by thedude051

Lol my friend didnt know the difference in sounds between single coils and humbuckers. We are trying to start a band soon and they want to play metal and punk rock, and I just laughed: no matter what distortion type ive tried I couldnt get a deeper humbucker sound.(He told me a single coil would be okay for deathh metal; it might be if your going for you own type of music style, but if your trying to just do a tribute type band where you play already made songs then uniqueness isnt gonna make the song sound good.)

Anyways, im still learning guitar and we know a drummer and a bassist so we are trying to find a time and place to practice at. Id think it would be awesome to do music for a living, but then if music is your life it wouldnt be a hobby anymore, ive heard soem profesional musicians practice 15 hours a day. If I could id try to play music and have a band, maybe become semi proffesional, but unless I get insanely good at playing guitar would never be my everyday job.
My setup specs:

Guitars: Fender 50's stratocaster
Old jr accoustic crap guitar.

Amp: Roland cube 20x (Going to probably be traded in for a blues jr soon though.)

Effects: Dunlop gcb-95 wah
Boss dd-6 delay
Last edited by 50's strat at Mar 16, 2007,
I play only Metal on guitar and a bit of Rock and Roll but I suck at playing a lot of the chords so I generally stick to Metal. Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath are helping with the chords, though.
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS
Quote by Arlabester
not really.

i just f!cking hate gibson.

TheDude051 is right, that's cute as hell. What other gear do you f!cking hate?

To answer the question, I guess I'm part 1 and part 2. I've spent time making my living playing in a band but now the current band I'm in plays purely for the fun of it. In some towns you can make an OK living playing in cover bands but I could only manage to do it for a few years. There are inevitably compromises that need to be made, which is fine, until you've compromised yourself into being stuck onstage playing Desperado, Drive by the Cars or Turn up the Radio by Autograph (all because your damn bass player started playing keys and wants to play some keyboard songs) while simultaneously trying to will yourself into invisibility. Moments like that make you realize that the 5 VanHalen, 5 Zeppelin, 3 Hendrix, 3 Clapton and 2 Doors songs you just played don't make up for the embarassment you felt standing next to your singer as he sang "Nighttime, daytime, anytime, things go better with rock!!! The only time I turn it down is when I'm sleeping it off!!!" and then knowing you're going to have to come out from behind the amp to play the chorus and then the Goddamn tapping solo. You know you have problems with just trying to maintain a ghost of musical integrity when you take money to play these songs, and on top of that, it's hard to shave without looking in the mirror. The free drinks, occasional free pot and coke and the always-free bar-skank bangs also loose their appeal eventually.

Now I'm in my dream band-- every player is a monster, we're all friends and no-one has an ego. We have 2 rules in my band--#1 is if a guy dosn't like playing a song, or gets sick of playing it, the song is gone. #2 is no complaning when a song you like gets shltcanned. New song progress can be slow but nobody ever finds himself onstage thinking "I can't wait for this song to be over", so we all love the songs we play every night and it's always a blast. We've never had a fight or even an arguement between anyone in the current lineup, which goes back 5 years. We get paid small potatoes but we play fun shows, oftentimes with National acts, so we're happy. None of us has any desire to expand our fame beyond the clubs we play, we just write and perform our songs our way and we always have as much fun as is humanly possible while still wearing your pants. Every time we've gone into the studio we just give the CD's to friends and family and let our DJ friend play them on Sunday night radio sometimes. We have about as much interest in getting label attention as we do in knitting our balls together into one big, Collosa-Teste.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Mar 16, 2007,
#1. Music is the only thing I'm particularly good at.
'Lovely' does NOT have guitar solos!

Monterey Stage Series Electric
Some bright orange Ashton acoustic
Line 6 Spider 2 112
Variax 300
Quote by fatgraymatt
TheDude051 is right, that's cute as hell. What other gear do you f!cking hate?

yeah real funny.

just gibson.
i think better categories would be
- Advanced player
- intermediate
- begginer

i mean like, who the f**k goes to parties to show off to people while playing guitar?
and also, by saying to be a level 2 guitarist you have to be in a band, your kindof cutting out 3/4 of the u.g population. (dang its hard to get a band together!)
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
I play for myself. I'll occassionaly try learning a song and play along to some. I just play whatever crap comes into my head. If I got the confidence and had the time I'd definatly consider a band.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
I do believe I'm a mix of #1 and 2. I've been playing for about 10 years now. I'm not pro though, but I'm in a band, and want to be in bands all my life. If I make it big I'll be happy, if it's just a hobby frever, I'll still be happy.

I work hard for what I want, but in the end I live for music, so no matter what I'll be happy.
for me it isnt just being good and be a pro or something.. music is what i am.. it is my life, my dna and i cant live without it especially when im playing my music through my guitar.... it is my form of art and form of my expression....

im a guitar player that unites the guitar and my life together...

i am also the type that tries to find new things, ideas and new.. stuff to make me improve and get better coz learning is a never ending process.. new things come everyday.. and i wnated to learn more and more andmore..
My gear:

Ibanez RGR320EX
BOSS DS1 MODDED
BEHRINGER DD100
CHORUS
EQ

LINE 6 SPIDER III 75 WATTS
Page 1 of 2