amp....what does the sound come from? it the output sucks,it doesnt matter how good the input is
Avenged Sevenfold. November 10, 2007
BB King. December 1, 2007
Metallica. November 9, 2008
Avenged Sevenfold. November 23, 2008
A good amp makes a pos guitar sounds good, but a good guitar sounds like shit through a crappy amp.
Skill.
Epiphone Les Paul
T. Haruo Acoustic
Fender MusicMan 210 (130w)
soundwise the amp is more important. However, it is easier to learn the guitar on a good one. An amp will do shit for your studies.
WTLTL 2011
For ease of playing, a nice feel etc then its all about the guitar, but (i would say) about 90% of the tone comes from the amp, which to most people is more important, which is why almost all of the more experience players will say amp over guitar
Diezel, Motherfucker
Soundwise, an amp will always have more effect. But as everyone has demonstrated, there are variables. Do you like the amp you have now? Then upgrade your guitar, you'll be more comfortable playing it, and maybe get better tones from it as well. On the other hand, If you like your guitar, grab up a good amp.
Where the arguement seems to stem from is when you are starting out, what do you upgrade first? Most of the time, the answer really depends on you, and your current gear.
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
The right answer would be an amp. But if you have a good guitar running through a shitty amp it's still gunna sound geat.
For the final product in tone AMP for sure

You could have the nicest guitar in the world plug into a crate amp and its gonna sound like trash.
In terms of tone, a good amp. BUT! You need to have a halfway decent guitar at least, in order to be able to play it properly.
^^^Thats not true, shitty amps ALWAYS have shitty tone no matter what guitar. Anyone who says a good guitar is always better to have obviously hasn't played a high end amp. As long as your guitar works, it'll sound great through a high end amp.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by Silky Smooth
For the final product in tone AMP for sure

You could have the nicest guitar in the world plug into a crate amp and its gonna sound like trash.

Don't bash all crate amps, they have some nice ones as well the shitty ones people hate. And as long as your guitar is comfortable and playable, the amp is more important. (for tone)
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
For sure

A little squire bullet would sound fantastic through a road king!

EDIT : To litnin
^I've heard good things about their tube series (the V and Palomino ones, but not the Blue Voodoo) and bad things about all the others.
Yep, the palominos are nice
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
ok i have a shitty fake strat with a 10 watt amp. i actually dont mind my fake strat, its good condition, and i can still fool around with it and im comfortable with it. should i get new amp or guitar first?
^Definetly a new amp. I used my squier for a while through my stack before i got a REAL guitar, and it sounded awesome. Another point to backup my argument.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Ok, here's what you do. Say you have a Squier strat, a Squier practice amp, a Fender American Deluxe strat, and a Fender '65 Twin Reverb. Now play all the different combinations of guitars and amps, then rank them in order of best sounding. It will go like this:
1. Fender strat and Twin reverb.
2. Squier strat and twin reverb.
3. Fender strat and cheap amp.
4. Squier strat and cheap amp.

Get the picture?
sweet guess ill go for an amp first. but i dont know how much money i wanna spend for a good amp, i wanted a solid state amp that i could record/practice/gig with (im guessing around 50-100 watts) with some distortion and if possible other effects. any suggestions?
the majority of your "sound" comes from you fingers and your picking technique...

a crap player will sound like crap, regardless of what brand his guitar or amp is
mydadisjewish = avatar stealer
oh yeah and can someone explain to me what does preamp mean? i still dont get it after doing some research, is the preamp in the amplifier or is it the the pickup on your guitar? how do you "control" the preamp?
The preamp's the first stage of the amplifier. The EQ and gain knobs all control the preamp. The second stage is the power amp, which does most of the actually amplifying.
its in your amp

its basically the little knobs that you spin to dial in your tone
mydadisjewish = avatar stealer
whats the point in having a fantastic guitar with a crap little 15w amp? AMP!!!
If you want to play some emo music, I recommend using these settings:
Gain:0
Bass:0
Mid:0
Treble:0
Presence:0
Master Volume:0
They both play a very important role...

Amp - majorly for tone
Guitar - playability

They both come into terms of importance...but IMO, I say amp.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Depends on how crap/good were talking, if you have the choice between a good amp + guitar feels like crap and made from cardboard and a crap amp with a decent guitar playability wise than guitar is more important, but if your in the realm of a squier standard, it will do fine and amp is more important.
You are only as good as your weakest link. If you have a crappy guitar you won't sound good just because you play it through a great amp. If you have a crappy amp it doesn't matter how nice your guitar is.

That being said, I still think that a great amp can make a good guitar sound great. A great guitar played through a good amp will still only sound good, not great.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by maXterbat0r
A good amp makes a pos guitar sounds good, but a good guitar sounds like shit through a crappy amp.

+1, amp is much more of your tone than the guitar is
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton