long story short, lately the guitar player in my band has been ticking the rest of the band members off. mostly becasue he's full of himself, and he never comes to practice case he's "already way better, and doesnt need practice".
anyways... we were thinking about kicking him out ( hes holding us back), thing is:
do ya'll think we could pull of a metal band with just a bass, and drums?

also, i just got this new bass for $90 but im not sure if it was a good deal or not. all i konw is, its a washburn and it plays decently, what do ya'll think

anyways, if you have read all this thanks, also thanks in advance for any imput.
Attachments:
IMG_0161.JPG
There are amazing bands with just bass and drums (I'm a huge Death From Above 1979 fan) but you'll need to think hard about how you're going to pull it off.
I'll pass on commenting on the metal band thing, seeing as I'm not really a metal fan anyway. All I can say is that you -could- pull it off if you're not looking to sound like anyone else. If you want that generic metal sound, you'll need guitars.

As for the bass, that's actually a fairly good deal, congrats.

EDIT:
Quote by smb
There are amazing bands with just bass and drums (I'm a huge Death From Above 1979 fan)

DFA1979 ftw! Too bad they broke up
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
^
I was just thinking maybe if death metal don't work we could just switch to like slower marilyn manson style, you know where the lyrics and singing basically make the song
I don't know about metal but for an everything band (prog, rock, touch of metal, jazz, blues, funk, R&B, and motown.) it works great. Although I do have a keyboard to share the melodies with a little bit.
Quote by paranoid joker
^
I was just thinking maybe if death metal don't work we could just switch to like slower marilyn manson style, you know where the lyrics and singing basically make the song

You could certainly do that, you'll just need to be judicious in how you write the songs. In that case you'd want a more on-the-one-in-the-pocket groove sort of song style, rather than bashing out 8th and 16th notes over and over for an eternity.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

kick his ass out

no, youll need a guitar and singer i think

and that bass looks like its a good deal, cause i mean, for 90 bucks, its pretty hard to get a bad deal
Quote by metaldud536
Because there is a bomb in the lasagna!

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
make loud howling noises and throw your feces at them whenever they bring it up, I suggest that your GF does the same.
I suggest you try jamming with just you and the drummer. Try playing with and without overdrive/fuzz and see what you think works best. Forget the lyrics for the time being and try and get a good sound and style just from your instruments. It will probably require a bit of a change in style, but that's great because it means you'll improve as a player. Expect to have to play more melodically and chordally than before.
You can pull it off, but you shouldn't give up on having a guitarist. Go drum and bass until you can find a guitarist (or keyboardist or something) that isn't a twat.

And that looks like a pretty nice bass.
"on-the-one-in-the-pocket groove sort of song style"
what exaccly does this mean?

Oh and as far as getting a new guitarist, we'll get one. It's just in a small town like this it'll probly be months, and i dont wanna stop playing and stuff
Quote by paranoid joker
"on-the-one-in-the-pocket groove sort of song style"
what exaccly does this mean?

Basically it means locking in with your drummer, with only quick little fills or whatnot. No going into free-jazz mode and not playing on the downbeats, because the song can/will fall apart unless your drummer is f-ing brilliant. Always play the root on the first beat of each bar, because you wouldn't have any other instruments to do it for you.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Om is another just-bass band. Hey, many metal bands bass players' seem silent, so if you distort the hell out of your signal and prepare to palm mute, maybe you can! Just be prepared to own a mountain of gear.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..