I use three fingers most of the time and I find it the fastest way to play when jumping strings a lot, or basically anything where my pick hand is busy. However, for trem picking (trem fingering?) I find it faster to use two. Have been trying to decide whether to persevere and try to get faster with 3, or just hone my two-finger technique for times when playing the same note several times (ie metal). Any hints? Thoughts on the matter? people whove dealt with similar problems?
Ive never heard of trem finger lol but i can like do it lol.I jus rest my thumb on the pickups and get my hand uprgiht for good string jumping.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
If you're willing, you can try Bill Dickens' Buddha Rope method and build up your 3-finger strength. He puts something between the strings and the fretboard as to add considerable tension. Then, he busts out a metronome, and plays 8th notes on each string for 5 minutes each. Then, when he takes away the rope, his fingers are much stronger, and he can pick faster.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
honestly get better with 2 fingers, in any fast metal you will want to be able to play arpeggios really quick, and that is more raking across the strings, 3 fingers is going to take a lot longer to get as fast as 2 would, but its usefull to have (esp for triplets)

if you do decide to build up 3, i suggest learning it as 16th notes/8thnotes/quarter notes
because its sounds a lot smoother and will train each finger equally both physically and mentally(the hard part, esp for jumping strings)
Quote by jaebee
honestly get better with 2 fingers, in any fast metal you will want to be able to play arpeggios really quick, and that is more raking across the strings, 3 fingers is going to take a lot longer to get as fast as 2 would, but its usefull to have (esp for triplets)

if you do decide to build up 3, i suggest learning it as 16th notes/8thnotes/quarter notes
because its sounds a lot smoother and will train each finger equally both physically and mentally(the hard part, esp for jumping strings)

EHHHH,,,,,,now if u saw me play 3 fingers i would say u would change ur mind.And i can play really fast with my fingers forever.So like ya.Triplets r a snap for me.But then thats just me.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
i mean, ultimately 3 fingers is faster than 2, just saying its easier to get good at 2, go look at any of the greats, they all use 3 when going fast, even if its not triplets
i play four and its my fastest i started out with three then decided to go with four it took me about 4 months to get the whole 4 finger picking down but was defiantely worth it i say go with getting your 3 finger picking faster
Quote by Rockman4
i play four and its my fastest i started out with three then decided to go with four it took me about 4 months to get the whole 4 finger picking down but was defiantely worth it i say go with getting your 3 finger picking faster

I do not recommend 4.Ur pinky is shorter then the rest of ur fingers and that would make it harder to reach the string which would cause u to turn ur wrist to a akward postion that would proly make u slow down and feel uncomfortable.But im not saying its impossible becuz it can be faster then 3 if u can do it.
Quote by Damaged Roses

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Your third finger will never be as good as your index and middle, so i think it's better to concentrate on getting face-melting speed with two. I can use my third finger a little, but i have no real serious control over it like the other two. Remember, your index and middle have been used mainly all your life, so they have a good headstart.