Just wondering what gauge of strings everyone here uses. I use 11. And to anybody else that uses 11's, I played a guitar with 9s on it and it felt like the strings hadnt even been tightened and I cant even really play them like I play 11's. Does anyone else do this?
9's for lead electric, 10's on rhythm electric, 11's for jazz electric, 13's on acoustic.
My Gear:
Godin BG V and BG IV
GK 1001RB w/ 4x10 RBH
Palatino Upright
Ibanez Talman Artcore
Godin LG
Washburn Acoustic
Godin Classical
Traynor YCV80

i use beefy slinkys which are basically 11s and its harder for me to play lighter gauges
I used 13s for a long time and it really does make a big difference in the sound quality you get.
Now I'm using 10s just because they don't rip up my fingers so bad.
9's I'm too much of a pussey to get used to anything heavy
It don't matter what you play ..just tune it and play
Ernie Ball Slinky *10s*

I love that they last so long, without going flat.
i used to use nines but now i have 11s on my strat. It actually wasnt too hard to get used to, but the only problem is if i take a day off i have trouble playing the next day. i still have nines on my les paul, so i cant even play it, im just to sloppy with them now. i have always had 11s on my hollow body, but im thinking about moving those up to 12s or 13s.
i use 11s for the high strings, and my lows go down to a 70s....yesss, they are like bass strings, zakk wylde lo's, they are freakin fantastic for crunching down on.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
dr. 10's

.11s are too thick, i just cant dig into them. .9's are too thin, they got no tone and bust to quick. edit: (just like your mom haha)
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Quote by TonicShredder
what gauge does strings does zakk wylde use? anyone know?

Zakk Wylde uses elevator cables for strings.

Oh and i use a set of 10s on one guitar and 12s on another 2. But when all sets of strings are shot i think im gunna put 10.5s on. I like the lower gauges cuz i like th slight floppy feel of them.
I only use 9's anything heavier and my finger tips can't handle bending. How the hell do you bend 12's at standard tuning?
Gear:
2006 Jackson RR3
2006 Ibanez S520EX
Peavy JSX 120W Head
Roland Cube 30
10's on mine...

Anything lower, I don't like. I need to try some 11's or 13's soon though...but that'll crap up my intonation, etc.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
i use to use 9-42 on my jackson floyd guitars, but i was told to check out DR tite-fit strings well all the store had was 10-46 they were sold out of the 9-42,, and i must say wow DR tite fit strings sound great and play nice.. i use to play daddario for the past 20 years... i found me a new strings to buy.. and new gauge. i play heavy metal megadeth etc.. and wow glade i tried these and went back to tens...

i tried tens years ago but never liked them, but 10s are a big change over 9s.. in sound and feel..
Quote by musicology
9's for lead electric, 10's on rhythm electric, 11's for jazz electric, 13's on acoustic.

You know thats not true, Slash Uses 11s-13s to play. Kirk Hammet uses . 10s to 52s
Quote by Guitargod12345
You know thats not true, Slash Uses 11s-13s to play. Kirk Hammet uses . 10s to 52s

That's what he personally uses. Der.

I switch around between string gauges a lot. I have Blue Steel 13's on one electric for downtuning, Zakk Wylde Boomers (10-60) on my other electric, and I believe I have D'Addario EXP 11's on my acoustic.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I use 12s, they just sound nicer and have better tension when I downtune.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

i use Ernie ball hybrids 9 - 46

useful for lead and riffing

Hey Ibanez - Left hand Xiphos? any chance!!??

Guitars
Yamaha Pacifica
Ibanez RG 270L (with EMG 81/85)
Jackson RR V (with Dimarzio D Activator X)
hell ya Ernie Ball kiks. I use Ernie Ball RPS Custom 9's and 10's
My Gear:
ESP LTD DV8-R
'78 Fender Stratocaster
Ernie Ball RPS Custom 10's and 9's
Dunlop .88mm Picks
DigiTech Metal Distortion Pedal
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah-Wah Effects Pedal
Micro Cube Amp (tiny little thing but kiks)
11-52

currently 11-50 though, trying DR strings. dont like them. too jangly/bright. its like STFU strings
zakk wylde doesn't use elevator cables, but dimebag used barbed wire

LOLZ I"M SO CLVER

i use tens
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
10s or flatwound 13s, depeding on what I feel like playing when its time for a string change

Its definitely awkward going from 13s to 10s though, they feel like toys. And when using 13s, I cant allow myself to play other peoples guitars (with 9s). Just too damn easy too bend them into pieces
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
10s. The strings are DR Pure Blues, and they sound awesome.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
I use John Pearce 10-52 with the wonky B. It's weird, the gauges go .10, .11, .15, .32, .42, .52.. It's for bending, and its actually really useful.