Page 1 of 2

Why does everyone swear by these picks? I got some because UG seems to find them orgasmic, but they're so damn tiny and stiff you can't do anything with them!

I tried to play one power chord and the thing flew out of my hand, I even tried gorilla snot!

Do all you guys that use them just shred? Or am I missing something here?

Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
yeah i dont like them either, they really dont work well unless you only hit the strings lightly.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
It takes getting used to at first, but ever since my friend reccomended them to me I haven't used anything else since. I don't really know what other advice to give you then to just keep trying it out, now that I'm used to them it's hard to play with anything else. If you're having trouble playing chords, try to just glide the pick over the strings rather than pick it like you would a single note. It's easy to get used to by playing open chords, then you can just take the same idea and apply it to power chords.
jazz III's are the best, you just have to have a strong grip on them, and they're not just used for shredding. they give you way more control than flimsy picks
Quote by Gottlos
It takes getting used to at first, but ever since my friend reccomended them to me I haven't used anything else since. I don't really know what other advice to give you then to just keep trying it out, now that I'm used to them it's hard to play with anything else. If you're having trouble playing chords, try to just glide the pick over the strings rather than pick it like you would a single note. It's easy to get used to by playing open chords, then you can just take the same idea and apply it to power chords.

unfortunately, just gliding over them doesnt sound nearly as aggressive as digging in and hitting them hard.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I <3 Jazz III picks...

I find them easier to play with personally... but for some reason i can't play with tortexes well. Wierd huh?
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
unfortunately, just gliding over them doesnt sound nearly as aggressive as digging in and hitting them hard.

exactly, how can I bash a chord if I have to glide over it?

And I use Dunlop 1mm nylons btw.

I like them because they're thick and big, but flexible enough to not feel like you're going to break something.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

I love them. The big thin ones are too flimsy. The big medium ones are also pretty flimsy, and the big thick ones are just too bulky and get in the way.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
Bah, I hate those. I'd use a Fender 50'th An. over a Jazz lll anyday.
Member of the "On the Right Track" club. PM Michelangelo193 or raise_the_dead to see if they approve of your "On the Right Track"-ness
I am Spartikus

Tremulous name: <CD>Mustang?
I like them.
Quote by LochieW
Thats it, attackofnose wins LochieW's Official Trophy of Using His Googling Skills to the Max!

Hooray!
They are stiff and small...the way I like it...just kidding.

They own once you get used to them. They feel alot more precise.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
ive used them ever since i stole one from my friend two years ago. i think they're better for soloing (i don't shred so they're not just for that) and if you have a grip on it digging into a chord isn't gonna cause it to fly out of your hand.
You dont have to bash on a chord for it to sound agressive. It's all in the attack, sure, but you can glide over a string and have it sound just as heavy and punchy. I swear by my Jazz IIIs and I dont play aggresively at all. I play death metal and some shred and it sounds just as agressive. A lot of it is in the tone in the amp and pups as well.
Quote by saxaxe
You dont have to bash on a chord for it to sound agressive. It's all in the attack, sure, but you can glide over a string and have it sound just as heavy and punchy. I swear by my Jazz IIIs and I dont play aggresively at all. I play death metal and some shred and it sounds just as agressive. A lot of it is in the tone in the amp and pups as well.

Meh, you know what I mean, I don't bash for the tone, I just get into things when I'm on stage, I'm an energetic player
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

I've sworn by the blue 1.0 mm Tortex picks from the very start, can anyone compare them to the Jazz III's? I've been meaning to check them out but haven't got around to it.
^ I used to play the blue 1.0's but now I use jazz I's and III's. Jazz III are bitchin' for solos and jazz I's are good for rythm.
-Tox

ಠ_ಠ
WHOT?
I've been using stubby Tortex 1.14mm's for years, and there's no substitute for me. Jazz III's are also great but they have too much pick noise, so Tortexs are the best.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
Quote by hamish5178
Meh, you know what I mean, I don't bash for the tone, I just get into things when I'm on stage, I'm an energetic player

lol yea, I feel ya. Im the same way. The music I play is REALLY energetic, and I get into it on stage. But when I started with Jazz IIIs, it was, you know, just up in my room noodling around. After a while, I got so accustomed to them and fell in love. Once you do, you'll never go back. Trust me. And you'll get the hang of being able to bash at the strings and keep the pick.
I use them for everything.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by hamish5178
And I use Dunlop 1mm nylons btw.

I like them because they're thick and big, but flexible enough to not feel like you're going to break something.

Dude, those are the only picks I use! Great picks
I use Dunlop 0.38 mm nylons almost exclusively, but I do love me some Jazz III's when it comes to soloing.
Quote by Kai-7
You are the greatest. Wow. CaptainWow

Bumblebee of the Mighty Autobots. PM Kankuro to join.
UG Irish Clan - Póg mo thóin
Metals Fetishist of the"Please Sir, I want GORE" Club - UG Horror Fans and Gorehounds Unite!
I love em. No, I don't shred. Not yet.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
yumm

They are the greatest picks in the entire world.

Good for strumming, good for soloing, sound good on acoustic.

Great.
And if ever You come near, I will hold up high a mirror.
Lord, I could never show you anything as beautiful as You.
i love Jazz III's, only picks i use.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Now when people say "Congratulations, I heard you just had a baby" you can say "Thanks! It was delicious."

/#1 reason for having a kid.

PSN: YosemiteSam13
I use the Jazz IIIs because they are sturdy and deliver a punch when I play even without hitting the strings hard. They make the strings last a lot longer IMO and they are easier to pinch with. They really take getting used to though. I can't play with normal picks any more just jazz I-IIIs
Quote by darkstar2466
Ollieyoufool seems like a self-made man.

Quote by MightyAl
If you punched through plasterboard, I'm pretty sure you can fill it.
If you punched through bricks, why are you scared of your dad?

There are two of those bad boys in my pocket right now.
And if ever You come near, I will hold up high a mirror.
Lord, I could never show you anything as beautiful as You.
I picked up some Jazz III picks about 3 weeks ago. I've noticed that they've actually helped me to play faster. I love them to death and will never use anything put those picks.
Member #9 of the Carvin club
I absolutely love the jazz lll's picks! They are the only picks I'll use, and John Petrucci uses them come on.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
tortex blue pick is my favorite.... I can't get them here though so I REALLY take care of it, next time i'm in US i will buy a pack

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Jazz III's are great once you get down your technique, which is how you're supposed to use every pick... use the very tip of the pick. It changes a bit for rhythms. I came from using a bass players 2.0mm picks to the Jazz III's, I can't even play with regular picks anymore. Just give them some time, you'll fall in love.
yeah i use em , there great
Member of Australia FTW Club !

BASS RIG BUDGET $245 / $4900

Quote by UG
thank you zackR .
I like them, they have nice control, and you can use them for a lot of different styles so if you havent used them, try it,
all i can use are blue tortex's and they have to be 1 milimeter or they feel weird to me
Quote by The Leader
You know what they found in Jeffrey Dahmers freezer?
...Ben and Jerry (ba dum bum psh)

Quote by ninemonthmedia
if there was a metal jail, Metallica would be Pantera’s bitch

RIP Kurt Cobain
RIP Dimebag Darrell
Burn in hell Nathan Gale
Page 1 of 2