Poll: Have you heard of Anton LeVay?
Poll Options
View poll results: Have you heard of Anton LeVay?
Yes
96 82%
No
21 18%
Voters: 117.
Page 1 of 2
Simple question, yes or no. He's the founder/leader of the Church of Satan. Have any of you been to a Satanistic church and seen their 'rituals' and procedures? If so, plz explain!

What do we tell our children? Look before you leap. Stop and think. Don't judge a book by its cover. We believe that we are always better off gathering as much information as possible and spending as much time as possible in deliberation.
I saw something on the History Channel about him. The whole thing just seems silly and childish to me. Satanism is lame for the same reason shock rock is lame.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
you dont go to the church of satan and view their rituals unless you are an active member of the church, then you dont talk about it. Plus they dont actually have a church building, member s perform the rituals in their homes.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Everyone knows who Anton LaVey was. And the fact that you said "Satanistic" totally ruined this thread.

They don't worship Satan, by the way. The name is for shock value, and they like what he represents or whatever.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Yes, I've read a couple of his books. LaVeyan Satanism isn't what most people think it is. If your looking for sacrificial rituals and whatnot, I suggest you look elsewhere. However, there are indeed many non-violent rituals involved. Myself, I could not explain exactly how the church works, but I'd suggest picking up The Satanic Bible, or some of his other works to obtain a better understanding.
The man's a nitwit. To me, it seems like he and his followers just sit around, feeling superior to Christians (I'm sure that's a crass generalisation, but it holds some truth).

--Red
"My idea is that there is music in the air, music all around us; the world is full of it, and you simply take as much as you require." - Edward Elgar
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']Yes, I've read a couple of his books. LaVeyan Satanism isn't what most people think it is. If your looking for sacrificial rituals and whatnot, I suggest you look elsewhere. However, there are indeed many non-violent rituals involved. Myself, I could not explain exactly how the church works, but I'd suggest picking up The Satanic Bible, or some of his other works to obtain a better understanding.

+1

Put the basic Satanic principles before any person and they're gonna agree with most of them. No virgin slaughtering involved.

EDIT: Nah, I'm not a Satanist, don't follow the faith, any faith at all really. Satanism is more of a personal philosophy, is what I was pointing out.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Last edited by raise_the_dead at Mar 15, 2007,
Quote by raise_the_dead
+1

Put the basic Satanic principles before any person and they're gonna agree with most of them. No virgin slaughtering involved.

Really, if you put the basic principles of most religions in front of someone, they'll agree with them.

But I know what you're saying.
Quote by dudetheman

Satanism has a few neat ideas, but it seems to be, for the most part, a lame excuse to inflate your own ego and refuse to help the world. basically, a satanist who lives by satanist principles is a waste of space.
Quote by Pharoah
Simple question, yes or no. He's the founder/leader of the Church of Satan. Have any of you been to a Satanistic church and seen their 'rituals' and procedures? If so, plz explain!

Yes, we rape virgins women and slice their vaginas open and feast on their innards for the devil.
And yes, I do know who he is, since I have been a Satanist for over 4 years (not really much anymore). I should hope most people would know who he is and what he has done, since it's always good to have an idea of different religions out there.
LaVey was a great man....misunderstood but great none the less....
And Satanism is NOT evil or strange by any means thats just what the media want you to think...to be frank please watch your words when you speak of Satanism and Satanists cuz there may be some on UG that you may happan to offend...(same with all Religion)
Thank you

~Gampersnaz~
site?
I love music!
I hate how it turns us on each other!
I support music as a whole! not this useless hate!
You also have to realize that LaVey Satanism is only one of the two sects of satanism. While they are both pretty damn similar, there's also paganistic satanism that is what a lot of Black Metal and such is done after that I respect a lot more than Anton LaVey, follows basic principles of honour and the value of life and self-pride (Not arrogance), which is very similar to LaVey, no doubt, but it's more Neitzcheistic. I find LaVey to be far too self-absorbed, corny (Psychic Vampires, ooooooohhhh scary), and gives too much concern to Christians in his 'teachings.'

But what really annoys me is all the ignorance that surrounds people when it comes to Satanism. Never has there been a true Satanist that has sacraficed anyone "for Satan," it simply goes against everything Satanism stands for. Satanism celebrates life, not death, so to accuse someone killing in the name of Satan is foolish. It's a shame that most of the people who value intelligence over all else are already Satanists.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
In The Devil's Notebook, he made a few obvious stabs at other religions. He was a smart man, but he was somewhat prejudice.

In another chapter of that book, he described how to perform a ritual to transform into a werewolf. At that point, I decided that he was at the same time, a little out there.
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']In The Devil's Notebook, he made a few obvious stabs at other religions. He was a smart man, but he was somewhat prejudice.

In another chapter of that book, he described how to perform a ritual to transform into a werewolf. At that point, I decided that he was at the same time, a little out there.

Behold, the master of understatement
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
i have the Satanic Bible, it is very childish at times, but it does bring up some good and interesting points, the media and pop culture made that book and Satanism look like something it's not

Quote by UndeadPaperclip
(Psychic Vampires, ooooooohhhh scary)

Lol it did make sense though. He said not to care about weak individuals who only took but never gave anything in return. These are his 'psychic vampires.'
I have the Satanic Bible and I love it. There are TONS of flaws in his philosophy, but overall, its a great work of philosophy. I follow a lot of the ideas in it and love it. I wouldnt quite call myself a satanist...brinking on it though. Not to the point of officially joining the church though.
LaVey used odd terms alot but his core ideas etc in most cases are gold!
site?
I love music!
I hate how it turns us on each other!
I support music as a whole! not this useless hate!
Quote by Embodiment
Lol it did make sense though. He said not to care about weak individuals who only took but never gave anything in return. These are his 'psychic vampires.'

Yeah, but still corny as fuck His terminology at times makes me think of a 14 year old girl who found herself some Ann Rice novels.
Kabir
Of course I've heard of him. But, its (or it was) just hard to take the guy seriously when you see an interview with him on a show and he says things like the 'Yes, we have no bananas' song from the ****ing fig newtons commercials has satanic leanings to it.

...uhm, sure it does there chuckles.
i love his spill about trapezoids being evil because they're frustrated pyramids, haha.

i'm not a satanist by any means but i do like reading about him.
Yeah, but still corny as fuck His terminology at times makes me think of a 14 year old girl who found herself some Ann Rice novels.

You too? I had that exact thought as I was posting the "werewolf" comment.
yeah,Anton LaVey's my homeboy.
"Where the Beatles wanted to hold your hand, the Stones wanted to fuck your sister or daughter"

My profile
LaVey was actually a pretty clever writer. The "religion" he founded seems a little silly to me, though. Anti-everything, pro-nothing, it always seemed to me.
Death to Ovation haters!
The rules of Satanism are the funniest things in the world.

"If you are walking in an open territory on a thursday afternoon, whilst kicking a soccer ball and rubbing your stomach, and a clown wearing high heels interrupts you, you must DESTROYYYY THEM!"
And if ever You come near, I will hold up high a mirror.
Lord, I could never show you anything as beautiful as You.
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']

You too? I had that exact thought as I was posting the "werewolf" comment.

Great minds, eh?
Kabir
I know of him and what he's done. I've never read any of his works, but reading about his philosophies always make me think of Lestat from Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles.
Quote by Quintessence153
I know of him and what he's done. I've never read any of his works, but reading about his philosophies always make me think of Lestat from Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles.

What's with the Anne Rice connection folks?
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Everyone knows who Anton LaVey was. And the fact that you said "Satanistic" totally ruined this thread.

They don't worship Satan, by the way. The name is for shock value, and they like what he represents or whatever.

Bitch bitch bitch. Shut, the **** up.
Quote by Mattalac

LOL, where did that come from?
SHEMHAMFORASH, HAIL SATAN!

just kidding, at the Anne Rice, i know a stupid girl just like that

According to the website, he named his kid Satan Xerxes Carnacki LaVey.

kvlt
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Mattalac

No. I was informing the threadstarter.
Quote by dudetheman

Satanism (both true devil worship and LaVey's bollocks) are for immature morons.

No offence.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
I think he's quite clever but at the same time you'd have to be stupid to follow him.

"Religion is terrible! Join mine!"

Perhaps it's just me... but I don't need to call myself a satanist to prove I don't like religion.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I think he's quite clever but at the same time you'd have to be stupid to follow him.

"Religion is terrible! Join mine!"

Perhaps it's just me... but I don't need to call myself a satanist to prove I don't like religion.

We aren't necessarily like that. Most people join the religion because of what they stand for, saying that we're nothing better than animals and shouldn't act like it, and also being in complete control of yourself. The rules might sound weird, but for most of us, they work.

Quote by Anton Szandor LaVey
He who makes a beast of himself takes away the pain of being a man

I agree with this quote.
Glorified atheism.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Page 1 of 2