Im a beginner at making guitars and im looking for some cheep wood to make a body so if i mess it up i wont have wasted to much money so i need something taht rather cheep but decent i need something taht gives a more warm tone cause thats what i need for the style of music i play
Usually agathis is the cheap wood used to make guitars. Of course, guitars made out of agathis a generally shitty.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Basswood actually does sound like something you might wanna look into. Its cheap and gives a warm, bassy, resonant sound.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
Quote by ufossuck
Usually agathis is the cheap wood used to make guitars. Of course, guitars made out of agathis a generally shitty.

Agathis is fine. My friend has an agathis guitar and it sounds fine.
It's all about the quality of worksmanship that makes a guitar 'shitty'.
Agathis actually sounds a lot like alder.
I'm starting to think that we also need an "ONLY wood thread"...

Actually Agathis is good as long as you get good hardware and pups.

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
I think a faq thread may be the way to go, itstead of having one thread for every different thing.
But who wld create such a monster of a thread? I can see it becoming a very tedious task.

Oh an I agree that agathis guitars aren't all shitty. Especially if you're building your own, you could probably make a guitar a lot better than some expensive ones.

I heard basswood was a pretty neutral tonewood? And if it's cheap that gives you a good platform to build off when you start thinking about electronics/hardware.
Quote by dave293
I think a faq thread may be the way to go, itstead of having one thread for every different thing.

whatever, the actual "getting started on customizing thread" ins't really good to explain how to do stuff, its more like a where to buy stuff...

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Agreed, that thread should be redone, renamed or whatever.
What i'm suggesting is a thread with popular questions like what wood should I use? etc answered with links and stuff.
Quote by dave293
Agreed, that thread should be redone, renamed or whatever.
What i'm suggesting is a thread with popular questions like what wood should I use? etc answered with links and stuff.

I'm asked xifr if I can make that into a huge thread in a PM a few minutes ago. I've got plenty of hours to burn today.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Cool, if you need any help putting things together i'll help, I've got some time.
I also have a bigger list of websites and stuff than the one that was posted for me in that thread.
Basswood. My Cort G245 is made out of it, and in my opinion, has a very nice tone.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
To hyjack this thread completly, is there any tutorials any reckons would be cool, i'm half way through a pickup winding one and i've got some time to kill.
basswood sounds like a combination of mahogany and alder, which makes it a decent tonewood. agathis is also alright for a cheap tonewood.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
the only guitar i havent built that i own is basswood and a shecter and its sound is good. go with basswood