So anyway... I've got a Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty Custom 3 Pickup, and my pickups are a little lacking. Supposedly gibson, but as of late, (ive been playing lots of gibsons) im starting to think that theyre the epiphones. So... I was wondering... what pickups should i swap into this beast of a guitar?

I just put a gold bigsby onto it, and my ground got effed up, so i will be having the guitar totally rewired to get rid of the horrible buzzing. I'm really at a loss as to what pickup combo to but in this beautiful chunk of metal and wood, so a little expert advise would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I play a lot of smooth stuff like Carlos Santana, Pink Floyd, etc, but also kick into some heavier Zeppelin, Metallica, and Sabbath time to time.
Les Paul Black Beauty Custom 3 Pickup
Bigsby B7g vibrato
3 EMG's 85/81/85

Martin D-28
Very modest about your guitar aren't you? I've never really been a fan of the 3 pup Les Pauls. Especially when its done to Customs IMO.
Be cool.
Where did you get the guitar? 'Cos if it was new, the Epiphone pickups suck arse. and if they have supposedly been changed, maybe they're not wired correctly or something?

Can you post pics? I wana see what it looks like with the Bigsby.

Oh and I think EMGs would be cool. 89 (B) 60 (M) 60 (M).. Or is it 61? The coil tappable ones anyway... That would make for a HUGE amount of variety.

But that's my only suggestion. I dunno much about pickups.
why don't you check out Dimarzio's pickup finder? i think its useful

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Quote by TheDev01dOne
Where did you get the guitar? 'Cos if it was new, the Epiphone pickups suck arse. and if they have supposedly been changed, maybe they're not wired correctly or something?

Can you post pics? I wana see what it looks like with the Bigsby.

Oh and I think EMGs would be cool. 89 (B) 60 (M) 60 (M).. Or is it 61? The coil tappable ones anyway... That would make for a HUGE amount of variety.

But that's my only suggestion. I dunno much about pickups.

I bought the guitar used. And from the serial number i can conclude that is is infact a 2002, made in japan. unfortunately, i cannot seem to locate any details on the stock p-ups. Anyone else know? Cause I'd feel like an idiot if i threw out 3 gold Gibson 'buckers.
Bigsby B7g vibrato
3 EMG's 85/81/85

Martin D-28
Take off the strings, and take out the pickups to see if there's anything written on the undersides of them.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
^ No offence, but that is the dumbest thing I've ever seen on this forum that was laid out in a proper sentence.

A pickup becomes out of phase when it's WIRED backwards, not installed backwards. In other words, the origional hot wire goes to the ground, and the origional ground goes to the hot.

The threadstarter probably has the middle humbucker installed backwards to get a brighter tone out of the pickup.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Quote by Will_Minus
^ No offence, but that is the dumbest thing I've ever seen on this forum that was laid out in a proper sentence.

A pickup becomes out of phase when it's WIRED backwards, not installed backwards. In other words, the origional hot wire goes to the ground, and the origional ground goes to the hot.

The threadstarter probably has the middle humbucker installed backwards to get a brighter tone out of the pickup.

You hit the nail on the head. having the middle P-up backwards makes a huge difference. I didnt adjust the wiring, i just turned it around. By the way, theres nothing on the bottom of the pickups themselves.
Bigsby B7g vibrato
3 EMG's 85/81/85

Martin D-28
Send an e-mail to Epiphone's customer service or whatever they call it department.

p.s. Check out my new title.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Quote by Will_Minus
Send an e-mail to Epiphone's customer service or whatever they call it department.

p.s. Check out my new title.

Classy. I will. The pickups arent really the problem i think. After doing some investigating, it seems that my wiring is to blame. i dont think things are grounded right. suggestions? completely rewired?
Bigsby B7g vibrato
3 EMG's 85/81/85

Martin D-28
Quote by thedude051
Very modest about your guitar aren't you? I've never really been a fan of the 3 pup Les Pauls. Especially when its done to Customs IMO.

*reported*

ya spammer.

TS, um...
take it to a shop and have them open it up, you aren't describing the problem that clearly.

For new pickups, I'm all for gibsons, and you seem to have plenty of cash to spare

oh, and welcome to the bigsby club

edit: and if the pickups don't say gibson on the back, they probably aren't
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
if your in the UK Bareknuckle pickups are the way to go! I would go for a Blackdog(bridge) Missippi Queen(middle) StormyMonday(neck)

you could go for swinesheads as well but mehh

PSN ID: ArranP
i see.. what about the wiring itself. I think i screwed my grounding up. i believe im just going to get the whole thing rewired, professionally grounded and maybe throw in a 60/85/81 EMG combo.
Bigsby B7g vibrato
3 EMG's 85/81/85

Martin D-28
maybe snap us a few pics of the control cavity?

i suggest seymour duncan pups instead of emgs, cuz you said you like the smoother stuff that includes cleans. SD's are more versatile then emgs, emgs are obviously excellent for distortion, but their cleans leave quite a bit to be desired. But that's your call, you gotta listen to them all.
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
SD's huh? what ones for each position you think?
Bigsby B7g vibrato
3 EMG's 85/81/85

Martin D-28