Page 1 of 2
I've been wanting a new guitar for some time. Right now i have a Peavey V-type (idk much more about it. like the year and stuff) and im interested in a Gibson Les Paul. My favorite band is mudvayne (plz dont talk about me liking them, plz only talk about the gibson) and i have noticed that their guitarist uses one. and my fav. guitarist Slash uses one also.

I basically want a guitar that can be heavy and can do a little blues/lighter stuff and soudn good at both. I wa swondering if the Gibson Les Paul can do both since Mudvayne (heavy-ish) and Slash (blues style solos and what-not) use them.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
Wheres that guy who always posts the pictures of the cats? The time when we need him most....
Be cool.
Quote by thedude051
Wheres that guy who always posts the pictures of the cats? The time when we need him most....

ROFL.

Your amp is going to play a bigger part in your tone than the guitar.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Mar 15, 2007,
sorry guys, I'm a dog person.

anyways, i wouldn't recommend the gibson les paul. in my opinion they are overrated. I've played guitars that sound just as good, great tone, and play better for way cheaper. it just doesn't have "gibson" written on it. just look around. buy a guitar for the guitar, not the brand name. unless it's a bc rich. they are gaysauce.
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
Quote by PieceOfMind666
sorry guys, I'm a dog person.

anyways, i wouldn't recommend the gibson les paul. in my opinion they are overrated. I've played guitars that sound just as good, great tone, and play better for way cheaper. it just doesn't have "gibson" written on it. just look around. buy a guitar for the guitar, not the brand name. unless it's a bc rich. they are gaysauce.

I hate cats .

I am also somebody who would be hard-pressed to ever suggest a Gibson Les Paul as a guitar to buy.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
lmao at the cats. I agree about not getting just for the brand, although to be fair I would rather have a Gibson than an Epi just cause its a Gibson
El Gearo:

Fender '69 Reissue Mustang
Fender American Standard P-Bass

Fender Blues Junior
well insted of a gibson les paul would anyone have a suggestion for a guitar that can play heavy stuff but still sound a little 'blues' like?
Quote by Mudvayne_LP
well insted of a gibson les paul would anyone have a suggestion for a guitar that can play heavy stuff but still sound a little 'blues' like?

Answer the cats first.
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by Mudvayne_LP

I thought slash uses Ibanez... and I'm pretty sure they get heavy.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by Mudvayne_LP
oo and my price range is up to....500 maybe

Yea, dont even dream of Gibson, they are 1000 on up.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by Mudvayne_LP
The Les Paul.
Quote by CORT noob
Yea, dont even dream of Gibson, they are 1000 on up.

ooo damn...well i need suggetsions of othe rguitars then
Quote by Mudvayne_LP

from my experience, i think a Schecter diamond series would be good. I think they do bluesy heavy pretty well. but like others said, a lot of it has to do with the amp.
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
Quote by evan1234567
Quote by Mudvayne_LP
oo and my price range is up to....500 maybe

Which Gibson Les Paul were you planning on buying?

Michael Kelly makes some amazing single-cut guitars in your price range. I highly recommend them.

Also take a look at the Agile Les Pauls at www.rondomusic.net.

You might want to stash some cash for a new amp at some point in the near future .

Quote by CORT noob

Watch out, you could get sigged for saying something like that .
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by Mudvayne_LP
ooo damn...well i need suggetsions of othe rguitars then

lol. what did you think a les paul would cost???
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
Quote by evan1234567
nah pauls are so overrated. their neck has always felt a little weird to me (personal preference) and its not as easy to solo on as other guitars. if ur goin for a bluesy sound get a strat with a tubescreamer effect. plus therye cheaper than les pauls. or if u really wanted a gibson get a double cut. theres a g3 show where eric johnson uses a double cut gibson on the g3 version of red house. it sounds pretty cool and it looks like a really fast neck. ok im done
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by PieceOfMind666
lol. what did you think a les paul would cost???

srry guys im a [devoted] guitar noobie. and dont knwo much... about anything lol. i woulda did research on guitars but i thot this was a abetter idea.
no i believe slash plays a gibson les paul and on the velvet revolver album he played a fender for some songs because he liked it.
Quote by VoodooCow229
nah pauls are so overrated. their neck has always felt a little weird to me (personal preference) and its not as easy to solo on as other guitars. if ur goin for a bluesy sound get a strat with a tubescreamer effect. plus therye cheaper than les pauls. or if u really wanted a gibson get a double cut. theres a g3 show where eric johnson uses a double cut gibson on the g3 version of red house. it sounds pretty cool and it looks like a really fast neck. ok im done

Why do people keep referring to necks as "fast" or "slow"? Your fingers dictate your playing speed.

Oh, and get an Agile.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
Quote by Mudvayne_LP
srry guys im a [devoted] guitar noobie. and dont knwo much... about anything lol. i woulda did research on guitars but i thot this was a abetter idea.

haha, no problem. anyways, les pauls are at least over a grand, unless you do ebay or craigslist. like i suggested, the schecter c-1 classic is about 700. i like it a lot. you could get an epiphone les paul. looks a lot like gibson, same company but different, cheaper name. i have no experience with one, but i've heard they are good. I don't know about price, but i'm positive it's way cheaper than it's big brother, gibson. and you can get an epiphone les paul (looks about the same as gibson) for way cheaper.
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
Quote by evan1234567
Quote by auranos
Why do people keep referring to necks as "fast" or "slow"? Your fingers dictate your playing speed.

Oh, and get an Agile.

they mean for sliding up/down the neck...
some guitars feel faster than others.
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
Quote by evan1234567
Quote by auranos

Oh, and get an Agile.

It's not so much playing speed as it is "hand moving speed" - compare a tung oiled neck to a heavily painted neck .
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by FacingUsAll
It's not so much playing speed as it is "hand moving speed" - compare a tung oiled neck to a heavily painted neck .

Yeah, and btw, Cort Sp-3 has the fastest neck in the world.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by CORT noob
Yeah, and btw, Cort Sp-3 has the fastest neck in the world.

I think Hagstrom claims to have the fastest necks.
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by FacingUsAll
I think Hagstrom claims to have the fastest necks.

Touche...
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

I have a Gibson SG Special. The neck is like a log and the finish is kind of...sticky. Ask anyone; the necks are pretty harsh. I tried out an American strat recently. I honestly didn't notice much of a difference in how "fast" either neck felt. I think this whole "fast" neck thing is marketing BS. Whether you want a thinly finished neck or a heavily finished one is just preference.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
Cort M520! Or M600. It has all the ups of a Les Paul except for the headstock name and indiviaual tone/volume knobs for the pups, and none of the downs (such as Gibber's dwindling quality control). End of discussion.
I don't usually bag on guitar brands but all the Corts I've tryed have been cheapola.

I like Les Pauls but I agree about Gibsons being overpriced with shoddy QC. I've been much more impressed with Japanese LP copies such as Burny or Edwards, and they can be had at about 1/4th the price.

Slash playing Ibanez... You guys kill me.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Quote by CORT noob

since when?
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
Quote by fatgraymatt
I don't usually bag on guitar brands but all the Corts I've tryed have been cheapola.

Then you've probably been playing a cheapola Cort... See, Cort doesn't have a dumpster brand like Fender and Gibson do, so the nice and the un-nice Corts are all called "Cort". I know they have some really dodgy models, but the mid- to high-end ones are leaps and bounds better than the low-end ones. The mid-ends really eat up any Epiphones I've compared them to.
erm...unless you've got quite a lot of money, dont get a gibson. I tried a load of em yesterday, and they didnt start feeling good until they were getting into the £1000+ territory...my Silvertone that i payed £100 for plays better than most of the ones i tried.
Quote by auranos
I think this whole "fast" neck thing is marketing BS.

Yes it is. It's totally crap. The condition of the strings is FAR more important.

I suppose if you use a kung-foo grip on the neck, then it might make a difference,
But if you use a light grip -- just enough for balance and stability -- the neck could be
nearly sandpaper and it wouldn't matter. I'd consider that good vs bad technique and
no fault of the neck lamination.
I personally think Les Pauls are amazing. Yes, they are expensive and Gibson's QC has gone down some, but thats why you play the guitar before you buy it. There has been a ton of Gibson bashing going on in the forums lately for some reason. I am actually considering buying a Les Paul Classic soon. If you want real answers look at the pro's who play les pauls. They are one of the ultimate rock guitars. They are played in almost every genre of music by some of the the best musicians. Look at the people who play them...ZACK WYLDE, JIMMY PAGE, Metallica (play LTD's too). Even harder bands like As I Lay Dying, Hatebreed, Underoath, and Norma Jean use them. Pretty much what im saying is dont believe alot of the bull people on these forums say. Many are angry because they dont have the money to buy a gibson. It requires alot of saving. $2000 is alot of cash for a guitar. But if you get a well-made gibson, because there are some shitty ones, it is well worth it. Id wait and save some more cash before you buy a new guitar. Practice and get better then buy one. You should look at explorers too! I love mine. Good luck dude!
joshuaestock.com
The thing with finding a good Gibson is- it's getting harder and harder. They may still feel god, but they look shittier by the day. Things like a noticable shelf on the binding channel, huge epoxy-filled gaps around even simple inlays and an overhang on the neck joint aren't rare sights anymore. So while playability is key, I'd still like to say that I demand a nice build quality and finish when I'm shelling out major buckaroos. Because if playability and tone is the only issue, then there are also really many good Squiers and Epiphones out there.
Last edited by Pikka Bird at Mar 16, 2007,
Alright, bout to piss some people off in here. I have an Epiphone Plain Top, and it is fantastic. But, I have been looking around for gutiar #2. I have found it. There is a BC Rich called the mockingbird special x. It is brand new and sounds awesome. The best sounding guitar for the price,(699).

What I believe has happend is that you UG's pissed off BC Rich so bad, that they decided to make some good entry level guitars. Just take a look for your self.
http://www.music123.com/BC-Rich-Mockingbird-Special-X-Electric-Guitar-i757041.music
http://www.music123.com/BC-Rich-Outlaw-PX3-Electric-Guitar-i757069.music
http://www.music123.com/BC-Rich-Masterpiece-Mockingbird-Electric-Guitar-i757034.music
and my fav.....|
|
|
|
|
V
http://www.music123.com/BC-Rich-Classic-Deluxe-Eagle-Electric-Guitar-i757031.music
These are brand new BC Riches, but I have played one, the Mockingbird Special and it was amazing for the price.
Quote by CarbonDeath
Alright, bout to piss some people off in here. I have an Epiphone Plain Top, and it is fantastic. But, I have been looking around for gutiar #2. I have found it. There is a BC Rich called the mockingbird special x. It is brand new and sounds awesome. The best sounding guitar for the price,(699).

What I believe has happend is that you UG's pissed off BC Rich so bad, that they decided to make some good entry level guitars. Just take a look for your self.
http://www.music123.com/BC-Rich-Mockingbird-Special-X-Electric-Guitar-i757041.music
http://www.music123.com/BC-Rich-Outlaw-PX3-Electric-Guitar-i757069.music
http://www.music123.com/BC-Rich-Masterpiece-Mockingbird-Electric-Guitar-i757034.music
and my fav.....|
|
|
|
|
V
http://www.music123.com/BC-Rich-Classic-Deluxe-Eagle-Electric-Guitar-i757031.music
These are brand new BC Riches, but I have played one, the Mockingbird Special and it was amazing for the price.

i admire your courage to support B.C. RIches. and im not gonna lie, those do look pretty shweettt

but anway, ive been lookin at les pauls too and ive narrowed down to these three, what are your guyss' opinion

Epiphone Les Paul Custom

Zakk Wylde Custom

Gibson Vintage Mahogany
Overdrive of the Autobot Transformers G1 Club

Van Halen, October 16th, All-state arena, Section 213 Row A
Page 1 of 2