Page 1 of 2
Yeah I know. Lame. Anyway, I got put on the side that it does for my debate class and I need some situations where it has. Any help is appreciated. It can be any genre, rap, black metal, whatever.
Music conveys feeling. Violent isn't a feeling, it's a behavior.
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
Quote by Metal-X
Music conveys feeling. Violent isn't a feeling, it's a behavior.

I know, but I have to argue that it causes it, or at least facilitates it.
well.....when i want to be violent, i listen to cannibal corpse or something that has violent lyrics and a violent sound..if anything it helps! It only influences someone like that as much as they let it.
Quote by The Necromancer
I know, but I have to argue that it causes it, or at least facilitates it.

Why would you pick an uphill battle?

I hope you are good at BSing.
Random Metal-X fact:

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

There have got to be some psychological studies out there that show how music affects one's state of mind. You could probably look them up on the internet. I know that cases like this have been brought against AC/DC, Marylin Manson, and Insane Clown Posse. That might be a good place to start looking.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by Metal-X
Why would you pick an uphill battle?

I hope you are good at BSing.

Read the thread. He didn't pick it. It was picked for him.
Death to Ovation haters!
This is the biggest bullshit story that parents pin on kids for being depressed/violent/sad/aggressive and whatever other symptom they have.

Music usualy helps people...beucase they can connect with many lyrics and music.
Quote by PatchworkMan
Read the thread. He didn't pick it. It was picked for him.

Oh, I read the post, but I had too much on my mind. I can't remember everything.
Random Metal-X fact:

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

Violence is a result of upringing. My old man used to whoop my ass with a belt for years before he finally reigned me in. And thank god he did.

I joined the Marines after that. Between my old man and the Marines, I was finally buckled down.

Some of these idiots just needed a good ass whooping the first time they screwed up, then maybe they wouldn't have thought of that kind of nonsense.

I listen to a lot of black metal, some of which is satanic, but when I am in the grocery store and see a donation can of a family that just lost their home in a fire, I still stick a 5 or 10 in the can. I listen to black metal, but I still have empathy for others.

Those that can't differentiate between music/films and reality are in trouble to begin with....
Quote by llanafreak44
this isn't true, but say rap makes people want to join gangs and do drugs

A+

That's because some people are stupid and believe everything they hear.
Random Metal-X fact:

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

I wouldnt say music causes actions, because there are countless people who listen to cannibal corpse that dont go out killing and raping people.

like how people say rap makes you want to join gangs and do drugs well, all they do is talk about their life,not what they condone.

just like any other music, its all poetry basicly they just chat bullshit in the musical sense
People who are easily influenced can actually be helped to become violent by music. Much like the Columbine shootings: Did Marilyn Manson's lyrics influence their emotions? Possibly. Is it Manson's fault? No. That it can happen, is all I'm trying to say.
it just doesn't tell your teacher that you can't fight for something you don't believe

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
It may have a small percentage of incfluence of what you are like, but mainly I think if you're violent, you'll listen to some heavy metal, or some dude rapping 'bout how he beat the living shit outta someone...
I'm rude and arrogant by nature. I was that way when I listened to pop crap, and I'm this way now, years later, and I listen to extreme metal. Unless you're really easily led, music shouldn't affect you. If music can affect you so much as to influence your choices then probably just about anything else can influence you just as much, not just music.
Quote by Embodiment
I'm rude and arrogant by nature. I was that way when I listened to pop crap, and I'm this way now, years later, and I listen to extreme metal. Unless you're really easily led, music shouldn't affect you. If music can affect you so much as to influence your choices then probably just about anything else can influence you just as much, not just music.

Love the new avatar, by the way.
Of course it doesn't. Metal barely has any violence and I don't think there is a more violent (musically and lyrically) genre. Besides, just because a member of a music sub culture does something violent doesn't mean they did it because of the music.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
Im sick of people blaming Video Games, Music, and TV for their own dumb irresponsible actions.

TAKE FUCKING RESPONSIBILITY PEOPLE!!!
Odd. Im doing a paper on this same topic for my writing course lol.

Try and check out that Discovery Channel Documentry on Death Metal and its so called "impact" on violence n such.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
It's not a matter of whether I believe in it or, it's a grade. I HAVE to debate it. I already know it doesn't really affect it, but if someone could at least throw some BS my way (that isn't totally mundane), that'd be great haha
My beagle and bulldog fight when I play metal.
Yes, they deserved to die and I hope they burn in hell!
In the rays of the sun I'am longing for the darkness
Funny Canadians : Brandon860, Bodom & Scourge
Leader of the I boobs club
just be funny about it because everybody knows it's BS. go on a mock tyrade about marilyn manson, perhaps?
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
Till human voices wake us, and we drown.

- T.S. Eliot

Quote by Nelsean
Odd. Im doing a paper on this same topic for my writing course lol.

Try and check out that Discovery Channel Documentry on Death Metal and its so called "impact" on violence n such.

I saw that..... it has to be the worst thing that I have ever watched as a documentary.

Quote by The Necromancer
It's not a matter of whether I believe in it or, it's a grade. I HAVE to debate it. I already know it doesn't really affect it, but if someone could at least throw some BS my way (that isn't totally mundane), that'd be great haha

I can't really give you any points to use, but your best bet is to use what the other side is saying and then use it against them.
Random Metal-X fact:

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

there is a story of a man that used to listen to linkin park and metallica before killing someone, i'll see if i can find the article for you...

EDIT: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=33633
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Last edited by x_thurston_x at Mar 16, 2007,
Quote by x_thurston_x
there is a story of a man that used to listen to linkin park and metallica before killing someone, i'll see if i can find the article for you...

EDIT: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=33633

Not a bad argument, thanks! I'm just gonna BS some stuff about church burnings and hyphy shootings I guess along with that haha
Quote by The Necromancer
Not a bad argument, thanks! I'm just gonna BS some stuff about church burnings and hyphy shootings I guess along with that haha

i remembered it specifically cause they said "metallica cause of murder" when the story first came out, so that and some rap initiaton song will get you a pretty good argument
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
You can bring up the church burnings in Norway by insane black metal fans. (probably was stated earlier but I'm not gonna read every post)
There was some guy who shot some people a few months ago and then killed himself supposedly inspired by megadeth's a tout le monde. I think its horseshit but that was the claim. I think this dude lived in canada too.
yes, i think it does. take the case of Pantera, don't get me wrong i really like the band and the guys were all sincere and peaceful people i think, but the fact that music was so intense and aggressive attracted fans who were also intense and aggressive which ultimately led to the death of Dimebag, with a fan so obsessed with violence which was somewhat due to the music.
its a stupid idea u can blame violence on metal, though for gangster rap, there seems to be an alarming polarity between thugs and the music. make the point should beethoven be partially blamed for hilter then, as hilter was an avid listen. Im pretty sure it was beethoven, anyways he was supposed to like his classical. Also metal isnt really violent, its more like a cold shot of soberitry.
it makes a person violent only if the person already has issues. thats wat i think.

Jack my swag
I had a discussion similar to this with my sociology class, who all happen to be stupid.

Personally I think that to take things like music and games seriously (for example the Manhunt incident in England) there has to be something mentally wrong with you already.

But it is arguable that the image that musicians and games present through the media, for example 50 Cent's "I've been shot so I must be a hard ass gangster" image, is absorbed by people. So your argument could be structured more so around the image that this form of media presents and the ideas it presents to it's audience more so than like, the title of a song or whatever.
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
Quote by Darkrunner

Those that can't differentiate between music/films and reality are in trouble to begin with....

I agree. *dodges bullets because i is in teh matrix*
Page 1 of 2