I am thinking of buying parts from Warmoth.
PS: Its for electric guitar.

These are the woods i am going to use.

Fretboard:
Ebony (Dispyrus melanoxylon):

Very hard, smooth and fast feeling, it has a bright, long sustaining tone. Chocolate brown or dark gray streaks are not uncommon. Ebony has a long history of a preferred fingerboard choice of high end electric guitar builders. An excellent choice for fretless necks. Available primarily as fingerboards and occasionally for full neck construction.

Neck:
Mahogany (Khaya ivorensis):
We use African Mahogany in our body production. It is a medium to heavy weight wood with a Strat® body averaging 5 lbs. or more. Mahogany is a fine grained wood with great musical properties. The tone is warm and full with good sustain. The favorite tone wood of the Gibson® brand name; associated with some of the most famous rock music of our time. The grain is easy to fill. Looks good with clear or transparent red finish.

Body:
Sitka Spruce (Picea sitchensis):
Supplied quartersawn, this is the same wood used for acoustic guitar tops. Lightweight but stiff, the color is creamy white. Available for laminate tops only.
BASE
Ovangkul

The shape will come in a shape of Telecaster and a hollow body with a F-hole option.

Anyone mind telling me how would hollow bodies sound like? Thanks a ton, i dont wanna make any drastic decision before i do a research
Last edited by oreodunk at Mar 16, 2007,
im no expert but i don't think id go for the spruce top. i have one on my acoustic and it is very bright sounding. good for my acoustic probably bad for the tele, may make it too bright. just my thoughts though.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
Personally, I hate trying to finish mahogany. I love maple necks. That being said, there's nothing wrong with your choices. It should sound dandy, but your pickups must be top-drawer to get the most out of it. Hollow body option will add a bit more 'air' to the sound. I think if you use good practices (wiring, etc) and good components, you will have a real winner.
I'm actually in the middle of figuring out what I'm gonna do from warmoth too, so I know what you're working with right now...

The top material you're talking about is available only in a laminate top, any ideas on the base wood for the body?
Maybe base wood i'll go for ovangkul but i dont think its avaliable in Warmoth...

Oh and i didn't know Electric are able to have top and base, cause i thought its mostly a solid wood :P Now i know it hehe.

What kind of shape of the neck should i get?
hrm....never heard of it...*shrugs* if you're going mahogany neck, I'd do the same thing for the body. Unless, of course, you don't like how Gibsons sound.

The other concern I'd have is color matching w/ a light top, dark base and neck, and ebody fretboard.

What kind of tone are you going for, along the bright/warm range, and also, is sustain of great importance?
What kind of tone are you going for?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Well these woods are used on my acoustic, and i like my acoustic sound alot. Hence i want to try to make a similar copy of electric guitar
Quote by oreodunk
Well these woods are used on my acoustic, and i like my acoustic sound alot. Hence i want to try to make a similar copy of electric guitar

You realize you're talking about completely different beasts? Also that combination while probably not unheard of is non conventional at best. I would focus on the type of tone you want and build accordingly.

It also sounds like you're looking at chambering the body not what I would consider a hollow body. Chambering takes two general forms - more about it in this article - Making Electric Guitars That Won't Break Your Back.

Regards,

Rob
Because you said you are using a hollowed out body then these woods will give you a nice warm sounding guitar. They are "good woods". Hollowed out bodies have a much warmer sound and give you a better crunch than solid bodies. Sometimes they can be prone to feedback, but that isn't really commen in something like a thinline teli. The spruce top does add to the possibility of feedback but the ovangkol base is very heavy which takes away from your feedback trouble. If you got a solid body guitar with these woods, then it would be very heavy and very bright with tones of sustain.

Ebony is good durable fretboard material.

African Mahogany isn't that great for necks. It's getting harder and harder to find Honduran mahogany, but if you can find a honduran mahogany neck that would be better. If you can't find honduran mahogany then African is probably the next best thing if you want a warm tone. If you want something brighter with more punch then get a maple neck.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Mar 16, 2007,
Since Acoustic and Electric are completely different even with the same use of wood, I think i'll come out a new set of woods.

FRETBOARD/NECK: Rosewood/Mahogany

TOP: Spruce/Rosewood/Mahogany/Ziricote I need help deciding between the body >.<
BASE: Rosewood/Mahogany

I'll also be making it hollow body as it increases sustain and more warmth tone.

Will this guitar become too warm?

EDIT: I also would like to know is it worth it to get my guitar's forearm cut? It will cost $30 totally with the tummy contour.
If you're afraid if it being too warm, go with a rosewood fretboard with a maple neck.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

A rosewood base will have less problems with feedback and it will sustain longer than Mahogany but in a hollow body guitar, it also has a darker tone.
But Rosewood is heavier isn't it?

Any other warm,light guitar base to introduce?
Basswood?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Quote by oreodunk
But Rosewood is heavier isn't it?

Any other warm,light guitar base to introduce?

Yes, but it's also oily. You have to keep in mind that you are mixing acoustic and electric so some of the rules for electric will apply and some for acoustic will apply.

Dence = bright
Heavy = feedback resistant, sustain, and bass
oily = dark
flexible = warm
rigid = bright
Light = quick responce and bright

As you can see from the list, some things work against each other. For example the weight and the density typically follow each other. So when you get dence heavy wood is it bright because it's dence, or is it bassy because it's heavy?

Ash, alder, and poplar are all pretty light and bright.
Thanks, i am not a shredder so i dont need a very quick response and bright. I also dislike sharp piercing sound hence i dont think i will be going for Ash and Alder and Poplar even though their like.

I have decided to use Mahogany as a base but what wood would be nice for the top?
If you're ordering from Warmoth, their tops are only 1/8th of an inch thick, which does not affect tone as much as the base wood, or neck wood. The tops Warmoth does are mainly for aesthetic purposes. So feel free to choose whatever you want.

Personally, I would go with maple or spruce.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Ok now im having difficulty in choosing the colour i want here the selections of my ideas

Alphine White with white pickguard

Alphine white with black pickguard

Satin finish

Sunburst finish

Alphine White with chrome hardwares

The headstock is in that colour because it will be made out of Mahogany.
The Satin finsih will be in that colour because it will be made out of Spruce top.