Poll: Do you think the world is getting progressively worse?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you think the world is getting progressively worse?
It's already hit rock bottom......
18 9%
Yes.
109 57%
Slightly.
29 15%
No.
34 18%
Voters: 190.
Page 1 of 3
I mean this is probably the first time in well ever since I've been hit by blows of depression so fast and of this many. I mean I come here for the usual funny topics like the relationship problems and the funny ones and all, but this time I come to see somethings that many would find depressing.

The things I had found was the guy coming up and beating someone's girlfriend and he jumps in and gets beat up, a 16 year old was basically chased then beaten and eaten by dogs then stabbed, then lastly 6th graders having sex in the middle of class! I mean come on people!

I don't know what to think anymore because this is horrible! Okay well anyways I made a poll for you to decide if you think the world is getting progressively worse.
`¯`'~-.,_,..-~'``¯`'~ Random Task~'``¯`'~-.,_,.-~'``¯
.._,.-~'`-¯`'~-., The President of Japan.,_,.-~'`~¯`'~-
I think the world needs a new set of balls. Everybody is becoming a pussy now-a-days.
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
Oh please. If you think that constitutes as being worse than the plagues, genocides, continuous wars, lack of freedoms, hard lives, harships, etc of the past you are just being a typical idiot of these days who complains about unimportant things.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
I'm talking about presently and by todays standards. I mean you're basically acting like I'm comparing the Holocaust to spilling milk on the damn counter. I mean lately is it getting worse.
Take a class in world history; you'll change your mind.

Quote by randomtasko1
I'm talking about presently and by todays standards. I mean you're basically acting like I'm comparing the Holocaust to spilling milk on the damn counter. I mean lately is it getting worse.
...?

Regardless, the world is not getting any worse. Sure, we have millions dying from starvation, genocide, religious war, etc, but it's always been like that.
Quote by randomtasko1

No, it isn't getting worse. How is it getting worse? Because grade 6 kids had sex in a classroom? Oh noes! My morals!
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
I said lately man. I mean by todays standards not by the standards of all eternity. Jesus Christ please read before you post!

Okay you got me. I'm actually really jealous of 6th graders getting putty tang before I ever did and the fact I never got to stab someone after making my dogs eat him.

/sarcasm
the eighties were worse too, and the ninties, did i mention every decade since time began?
Quote by randomtasko1
I said lately man. I mean by todays standards not by the standards of all eternity. Jesus Christ please read before you post!
If you're comparing nowadays with, say, the 90s, then, still - no. We're not getting any worse.
not long ago in the modern world, a gay german dude killed millions of jews and thousands of soldiers in the process. i think we're doing all right.
I thought this was about Global Warming or War with nukes

but its about what school kids do?

we have much bigger problems than that man
Some Guy?
Also don't I fogot to add. Answer the dang poll and get your two cents into it and don't insult my standards of living. I mean I didn't insult yours so please don't insult my I mean come on guys, act like adults.

Oh wait..........

Oh and I was giving examples of lesser known things because I would assume you would know about nukes and Global Warming.
I think that there are too many laws protecting people. It needs to be like back in the good ol' days when someone pissed you off, you dueled with them, and rape = death, and no such thing as abortion. Technology has to stay though. And government needs to trust it's people less. Not in the sense of more restricting laws, but more cover ups.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
we're all a little more selfish and self-centered, but its gettig better...

minorities are getting better treatment than ever and the positive progression in my opinion...
you cant escape war... peace cannot exist without war, its a part of life.
And i guess if you take into consideration the fact that we've replaced culture with technology than yeah, that is getting kind of bad but maybe technology is the new culture...
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
In most ways the world is getting a HELL of a lot better. We're in more than one way setting ourselves up for disaster, but if we can deal with these threats, or even if we can't, we've still done remarkably well.

Looking over the last century or so, let's see; women became people, China learned to read, advances in agriculture saved billions of lives, blacks became people in South Africa, we've made advances in science and technology not long ago incomprehensible, we basically invented the notion of a "war crime" and set up large international bodies to help prevent them (and often failed, but made progress nevertheless), look, the world is becoming a better place. People have higher standards of living and higher levels of education. We're screwing our environment a fair deal and need to deal with it immediately, and there's a lot of dangerous ideology, but none of it is particularly new.

The things you highlighted in the original post are outrageous, and even offensive if you're suggesting that this is proof that the world hasn't improved. Tell a black woman from 1920's South Africa that the world is worse today than it was then. Tell just about any Jew alive that we should go back, even as recently as the 50's. And besides, you think we never had violence or child sexuality before the last decade or two? Then you've got a fair bit to learn about the world.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
I've been realizing this since 10th grade. The more I look around the more I see what horrible creatures we humans are. Peace, love, and unity? Not gonna happen at this rate.

Really makes me sad to know that we'll kill each other long before we decide to end all this fighting and get along.
progress is inherent in human beings. it's our nature. things get worse before getting better. maybe another world war would help us all achieve self-actualization. rally us all together, striving to improve our increasingly shitty lot... pacifism tends to stagnate progress. violence: a cure for apathy. being comfortable in our lives gives us no reason to improve. we need a motivator, and war is a good excuse when you're talking on a national or global scale.
man this realization came to me a while ago, but in the end what can you do? it doesn't matter. really. live your life the best you can and love everyone and hope that some of that love comes back to you. i know it sounds all hippie but its all we can really do to make the world a better place.
Quote by Metal-X
I think the world needs a new set of balls. Everybody is becoming a pussy now-a-days.

RIGHT ON!
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
The world has hit rock bottom by the end of the 20th century. All we have left to do is wait until we are destroyed by ourselves.

GET RID OF TELEVISION I SAY!
The world seems to be getting worse only because the bad aspects are televised more often around the world. Other than global warming and the "War on Terrorism" thing thats going on, nothing has changed in a long while.
People still got raped, kids had sex at a young age, people got stabbed and attacked by dogs.
Quote by iHurricaneGTR

Goats are like mushrooms.
When you shoot a duck,
I'm afraid of toasters.

Quote by Avedas
South Korea should have their Starcraft league members double as military strategists.
yeah in bout 200 - 300 years the world will probley be a sex, food, alchol and any other type of pleasure derived substance driven society.

hopeful that sentence makes sence. i dont think it does. oh well
you think your thoughts are bad? Just remember, we are all born to die.
Quote by FeatherBreeze
schecter4183 after that comment you are my hero, lol
you opened up a new world of insulting people for me
Quote by sTx
You, sir, are sex.
Quote by Alix_D
But how did you know it was virgin ass? Did you ask the ass?
Until the world is devasted by a new killer disease or virus that will wipe out 1/4 of humanity or we're going back to the stone ages, everything looks just fine.
its not gettin progressively worse
its getting exponentially worse...

woo i feel like a nerd!
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"
The world isn't getting worse.

The fact that medicine, education, technology, living standards and society are much better than 100 years ago is more important than the relationship problems of your stupid schoolmates.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by jammoe
In most ways the world is getting a HELL of a lot better. We're in more than one way setting ourselves up for disaster, but if we can deal with these threats, or even if we can't, we've still done remarkably well.

Looking over the last century or so, let's see; women became people, China learned to read, advances in agriculture saved billions of lives, blacks became people in South Africa, we've made advances in science and technology not long ago incomprehensible, we basically invented the notion of a "war crime" and set up large international bodies to help prevent them (and often failed, but made progress nevertheless), look, the world is becoming a better place. People have higher standards of living and higher levels of education. We're screwing our environment a fair deal and need to deal with it immediately, and there's a lot of dangerous ideology, but none of it is particularly new.

The things you highlighted in the original post are outrageous, and even offensive if you're suggesting that this is proof that the world hasn't improved. Tell a black woman from 1920's South Africa that the world is worse today than it was then. Tell just about any Jew alive that we should go back, even as recently as the 50's. And besides, you think we never had violence or child sexuality before the last decade or two? Then you've got a fair bit to learn about the world.

All this sounds good in theory. But i think the guy was more on about people getting worse as individuals. There's no respect now, Wheres communities and being friendly gone. You can't even look at people without them saying something. Who beats up a girl? Chase a lad strip him then let dogs savage him? This planet is infested with scum. I'd rather have been a neanderthal
We might have technology but that in NO WAY means this world is getting better
Quote by randomtasko1
I mean this is probably the first time in well ever since I've been hit by blows of depression so fast and of this many. I mean I come here for the usual funny topics like the relationship problems and the funny ones and all, but this time I come to see somethings that many would find depressing.

The things I had found was the guy coming up and beating someone's girlfriend and he jumps in and gets beat up, a 16 year old was basically chased then beaten and eaten by dogs then stabbed, then lastly 6th graders having sex in the middle of class! I mean come on people!

I don't know what to think anymore because this is horrible! Okay well anyways I made a poll for you to decide if you think the world is getting progressively worse.

The world has always been this bad. You're just growing up.
Theres a lot worse out there. I think with the population of the Earth now, as compared with it say in the 500's or something, it's the same fraction of badness.

Either way, it's a rubber band baby, and life's gonna snap back into place.
Quote by AzureNight
Oh please. If you think that constitutes as being worse than the plagues, genocides, continuous wars, lack of freedoms, hard lives, harships, etc of the past you are just being a typical idiot of these days who complains about unimportant things.

Plagues are completely out of the control of humans, and there's still cancer and the like killing people nowadays.

Genocides are still happening

There are still wars

There are people lacking freedom

There are people living hard lives and putting up with hardships

However, it's more possible now than ever to stop things like this, but no one even tries.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Look back at living standards during the industrial revolution. The UK was the first country to have a IR and in the big cities, the average life expectancy was 19, or something stupid like that.

I blame things getting worse in the world by choice. More forms of entertainment, better ways to live, and more chance and oppunity, the 1st world has never been easier to live in and people are brought up in that.

Think about it.

On the other hand, civilisation is doing great in terms of the 'system' working well.

So, depends which way you look at things.

In all fairness, there's also far less things being frowned upon, more expression and more power to expression, and explictation and money to make from it.

So many factors.

EDIT: Also, think of old laws, such as losing your hand for stealing, or being whipped and tortured as you are forced to pull your torturer through the street naked. Or being burned alive...
It is also part of human nature to focus on the morbid and the horrible things... go figure.
Quote by ACG

In conclusion, I'm gay.

Mud Sergeant of the Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

"Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join."
Quote by Demonbreed
The world seems to be getting worse only because the bad aspects are televised more often around the world. Other than global warming and the "War on Terrorism" thing thats going on, nothing has changed in a long while.
People still got raped, kids had sex at a young age, people got stabbed and attacked by dogs.

+1

If you think about it.... the same shit has been going on forever. Kids having sex at a young age, violence, ignorance, starvation etc....

It's just what you focus on.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
nearly every generation has thought the world is circling the drain but just look past all the negative and see all the advancements made
I'd say it's getting progressively worse based off war, global warming, etc...
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Quote by Mad Marius
The world isn't getting worse.

The fact that medicine, education, technology, living standards and society are much better than 100 years ago is more important than the relationship problems of your stupid schoolmates.

You know, sometimes you grind my nerves by being a smartass, but I really am starting to appreciate this more and more

Mad Marius FTW. [/asssuckery]

Threadstarter, things are getting a lot better. We're are starting to think of ways to help the environment, even the govenour of California, for pete's sake!
We're not gonna destroy ourselves anytime soon, don't worry. The terrorists we're told to be so afraid of aren't really a major threat. I mean, they can't even fart without being caught and gunned down. Sure, they're dangerous and can kill a lot of people, but in the end, they'll lose.

The only thing I'm worried about is some huge meteor hitting the world before I've fallen in love, had sex at LEAST 200 times and have done LSD, shrooms and a lot more weed.

Quote by JamieB
Plagues are completely out of the control of humans, and there's still cancer and the like killing people nowadays.

Genocides are still happening

There are still wars

There are people lacking freedom

There are people living hard lives and putting up with hardships

However, it's more possible now than ever to stop things like this, but no one even tries.

Dude... you have absolutely NO idea. Seriously.

Do you even know anything about the countries you're talking of? You can't just upsurp a government because it's not democratic or it's corrupt. Look at what happened in Irak.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Mar 16, 2007,
Quote by birdman267
It's human nature.

Human Race was created to destroy itself

Sucks Doesnt it?

Yes, a couple of people were sitting around and came up with the idea "hey let's make a species designed to destroy itself" The world is not getting worse in my opinion, it's the media that makes it seem that way. Global warming for example, is a natural process (along with ice ages) that has been occurring on the planet since long before humans were around but people still believe the crap line of "humans are causing global warming. it's 100% our fault".

End of the world predictions pass all the time without incident, yet people keep believing "next time it's for real though!". War has been happening as far back as history has been recorded and we're still here. Seriously, the world's not going anywhere, so there's no use giving yourselves a heart attack over stupid shit
Last edited by OpposingForce at Mar 16, 2007,
Quote by OpposingForce
Yes, a couple of people were sitting around and came up with the idea "hey let's make a species designed to destroy itself" The world is not getting worse in my opinion, it's the media that makes it seem that way. Global warming for example, is a natural process (along with ice ages) that has been occurring on the planet since long before humans were around but people still believe the crap line of "humans are causing global warming. it's 100% our fault". End of the world predictions pass every day without incident, yet people keep believing "next time it's for real though!". Seriously, the world's not going anywhere, so there's no use giving yourself a heart attack over stupid shit

Except meteors. the thought truly scares me.
Page 1 of 3