Only in UG you find spam about this, but we were spamming up a thread with biblical mythology and symbolism about the leviathan and behemoth so I started this thread to stop spamming it up.

UndeadPaperclip, all yours.

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
You acehole, I thought this was actually a discussion about biblical mythology and symbolism
Yes, they deserved to die and I hope they burn in hell!
In the rays of the sun I'am longing for the darkness
Funny Canadians : Brandon860, Bodom & Scourge
Leader of the I boobs club
Quote by Bodom
You acehole, I thought this was actually a discussion about biblical mythology and symbolism

It will be as soon as someone puts up another theme like leviathan on the other thread.

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
well this isnt abotu the leviathan but its more towards the other symbols
The beast Daniel first sees rising from the sea with the giant eye represents the Sellucid Emperor Antiochus IV Epiphanes. The jews hated him, he wasn't exactly kind to them.

in Revalations:
When Revelations was written (100 years after Christ), Roman persecution of Christians was pretty high. To the Christians at the time the world was coming to an end, the perfect time for Christ's comeback. That is Revelations major allegorical meaning. His second coming was symbolized in a couple of gruesome signs. The signs of the Apocalypse/Antichrist include the symbols of the ***** of Babylon and the Beast with the number 666 on its head. the allegorical symbols of the antichrist/apocalypse represent nothing but resentment of Roman captivity. Let us starts with the number of the beast. 666. What does it mean? In the book of Revelations it is explained nothing would be able to be bought without the number, freedoms taken away. However, what we must analyze is the language in which it was written. In Hebrew Gematria (basically alphabet), every letter has a corresponding number. Summing these numbers gives a numeric value to a word or name. Adding the corresponding values yields 666, as shown: 666= Nun(50)+ resh(200) + Vav(6) + nun(50)+ Kuf(100)+ Samekh(60) + Resh(200). In Hebrew this reads translates as Nero Kaiser (Nero Caesar), the greatest persecutor of Christians. Another explanation for the Beast is Roman emperor and specifically only to Domitian, also because he had reigned during the proposed time of origin of the Apocalypse. In addition, Domitian's "secret derisive nickname" had been "The Beast" with Romans, Greeks, Christians and Jews. Either way you take it forms a Roman Emperor who is known for persecution. With the number we can see how the outside world affected the Bibles writing. The ***** of Babylon, is seen as a drinking the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus. (Rev. 17:5-6). However, allegorically she represents the brutality, greed, paganism of the Roman Empire. The Christian and Jewish people saw Rome as an evil and horrible thing, which could be one explanation for it. In addition, earlier in the book of Peter, Rome was referred to as Babylon. Another interpretation for the ***** can be seen as the Israeli people at the time. The ones who did not accept Christ where seen as Harlots/*****s. Earlier New Testament books used the indulgent city of Jerusalem as harlots/*****s. (Isaiah 1:21; Jeremiah 2:20; Jeremiah 3:1-11; Ezekiel 16:15-18; Ezekiel 23). Therefore, this theory is quite possible as well. The other beasts presented in Revelation represent Roman politics, religion and economy. The Roman subjects where forced to worship the emperor as a god and many Christians resented this (worshiping a false god) calling them this a beast. The ruthless Roman armies spared hardly anyone that can be seen as a beast. The Roman greed, based on its economy of plunder of a conquered area, was seen by many in the Judea region as an uncouth way of making money, hence it being symbolized as a beast.

Sorry about the ***** its a 5 little word for ho
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Alright lets summarize my little ramblings in the other thread I accidentially hijacked. This is mostly cut and paste so I'm sorry if it's choppy.

Technically Leviathan first appears in Genesis, "God created the great sea monsters - Taninim."

It's referred to in Satanism only because Leviathan is supposed to be an Earthly embodiment of Satan and Chaos. Interesting legend too, appearently Leviathan's only counterpart was slain by God after he was created because the greatness of it's evil would consume the world easily. And while leviathan is female, Behemoth is her male land counterpart that opposes her, and they're eventually slain by devine intervention when they battle during the armageddon in some interpretations, which is really interesting when you look at Norse Mythological ragnarok is almost entirely godly battles for the future of mankind, Frost vs. Fire, Good vs. Evil, it all falls down to that one way or another in any religion. Which is really a mind-blowing metaphor when you think about it. Land and Sea, Male and Female, both embodiments of "Evil" (though Behemoth much less, because, well..he's male ), and yet they are mortal enemies, consumed by primal desires for blood. Though it was probably all metaphorical speak to begin with, still crazy stuff.

But yeah, Leviathan is used in Satanism as a symbol of power and potential for Chaos, "Evil" if you will, of course Satanists don't beleive in good or evil, they beleive in right and wrong, honor and dishonor sure, but "Evil" is a phrase invented by Christians.

Oh yeah...and I love how in the Bible women are such a great evil that even Leviathan, the embodiment of Chaos, is female, and Behemoth is the male that just chills and eats grass all day until he has to do some killin'

Does anyone know any good Sumerian texts to look into? The similarities that mesopatamian religions have the Christianity is really interesting to me.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
^well the most obvious ones that you prob may haev read are the Epic of Gilgamesh and actually all of Hamurbis law. Surprisingly enough Judaism was a sect of Zoroastrianism, the religion of the Sumerian's. It had two gods a male and a female. But by the time the torah was written she was tossed out. Also the concept of good vs evil as in Satan VS god/christ comes from the Zoroastrianism religion. It was the battle between Tiamat and Murduk that started this
Here's an interesting observation, while Christianity focuses mainly on the Holy trinity itself, which is essentially one being (Not a concept unique to Christianity), it's notable how many other important creatures are brought up in the bible to an almost demi-god status. Leviathan, Behemoth, Ziz being Sea, Earth, and Sky respectively. Much like Yggdrasil and Fenrir of Norse Mythology, or the Titans of Greek mythology, of course those having much greater power, the thought is still the same as these more "primitive" religions. Of course the references in Biblical teachings have become seen as mostly metaphorical, perhaps that is out of necessity.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
^ Well most of those beast are from Judaism(which again has Persian influences. IE Hadhayosh in Persian/Zoroastrian mythology), which surprisingly has a lot more mythological concepts than most people know about.
Last edited by mexican_shred at Mar 16, 2007,