I know Fender owners are proud of their amps....and hell...they should be! I think I'm about to join the club soon....(i think). I'm thinking of buying the Hot Rod Deluxe. I read that it's the best selling tube amp of all time (? ?)....but anyways, I tried it out at the store...and GOD...it was beautiful! The clean sound was just amazing.....but then again...you knew that! Also tried the Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb. I was going to get it that second....but I would definately need a pedal. The 65 D R was amazingly clean, and with a pedal I thought I might be set...but the guy at the store recommended I'm better off going for the hot rod deluxe because it's got clean and a decent distortion sound to it. And that was true...because it seemed like the distortion was more powerful. BUT....even then...I think i should definitely get a pedal anyways because right now I'm liking the blues, rock, jazz, classic rock...all rock....but also a lot of metal (death, thrash, power metal). And I can't spend more than a thousand on an amp...and the combination of the Hot Rod Deluxe with a pedal (like Boss pedals) seem to be the best way of getting all I want. And....I want a Fender. I know...it's just a name...but..that is kinda important....(not really...but u know???) The name brand that I buy is like....10% of my final decision.

So: What do you guys think? Fender Hot Rod deluxe...u think it's a good first (official) amp? Would it be good with a pedal for the metal sound? Do you think Fender is good enough for me to put a thousand dollars into it? Is there another amp that's pure tubes under a grand with such versatility?

I've read the reviews for the HRD....there's nothing there less than an 8...and everyone seems to love the sound...but are not into the fact that the distortion is so weak.

Please help me with this....thanks guys!
im trying not to lose faith in fender products, cause most are amazing, but i had a fender rumble 100 and it just started cutting out one day and then quit making sound all together, brought it into an amp repair shop and they still havnt found the problem. ive NEVER cranked the volume or abused the amp either. maybe its just the bass amps?
Quote by bassclef
dont wanna burst your bubble but i had a fender rumble 100 and it just started cutting out one day and then quit making sound all together, brought it into an amp repair shop and they still havnt found the problem. ive NEVER cranked the volume or abused the amp either. maybe its just the bass amps?

I hope thats covered by warranty.

And back on topic, i've found that Fender amps really kick ass but i prefer ampeg.
i think with either amp you will want an OD pedal so you might as well get the one with better cleans (DRRI). For an OD pedal, I suggest looking at some different brands like Fulltone, Lovepedal, Caitlinbread, Ibanez (or Maxon), etc. OD pedals sound quite different so find one that has the right amount of gain and whatnot for you.

For around $1000, you can probably get a mesa boogie f series amp. they have great cleans and better OD than the fenders. But if you want a fender, I recommend going with the 65 DR
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
But if you want a fender, I recommend going with the 65 DR

OH man...that's funny you said that!! I went to 3 different guitar stores, and there was one 65 DRR at one store for $850.00. The guy said he'll give it me for $800.00. That seemed like a great deal. It's used from like....2003 or 2005 (i forget..but in that range). I went to another store...and a new one was about $976.00

The Hot Rod deluxe was about $750.00 new! DAMN! I'm really confused now as to what I should go for. Does that seem like a reasonable deal? A used 65 DRR for $800.00 (CDN)? And why do you say the 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue will be better? (Is that a stupid question??)

Right now, I have a marshall mg10! I'm getting excited about this...but I need more info. Thanks!
The Deluxe Reverb is ALL tube. The HRD's reverb is solid state driven...don't get me wrong, the thing sounds great, I have one. I prefer it over my Vox AC15
4 8 15 16 23 42
Damn, don't remember the CDN to USD exchange rates off the top of my head or I could help you more hehe. Anyways, here is more info:

The DRRI has better cleans than the HRD. Neither amps OD will be good enough for what you want so you will need a pedal either way so you might as well get the one with the best cleans. So I'd get the DRRI with a really nice OD pedal and maybe a fuzz hehe.

There are better amps in your price range but you'll have to search around for used ones which requires more work. If you are willing to do so I can make some other recommendations.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
The Deluxe Reverb is ALL tube. The HRD's reverb is solid state driven

What do you mean solid state driven? What the hell is a rectifier tube? Is that what you mean?

The 65 DRR features include a pair of 6V6 Groove Tube™ output tubes, one 5AR4 rectifier tube, four 12AX7 preamp tubes, two 12AT7 tubes

the Hot Rod has a 12” 8-ohm Fender Special Design Eminence speaker fueled by a pair of 6L6 Groove Tube output tubes and three 12AX7 preamp tubes. This has no mention of anything else except the output tubes and preamp tubes. Meaning the rest is not! Right?

The DRRI has better cleans than the HRD. Neither amps OD will be good enough for what you want so you will need a pedal either way so you might as well get the one with the best cleans. So I'd get the DRRI with a really nice OD pedal and maybe a fuzz

I see. I should look into the OD pedal later on...(after deciding on the god damn amp! ) Thanks though. It seems like the best idea...to get the best clean I can afford with something to offset it.

CDN to USD right now is....$1.17. So a brand new 65 DDR will be $835.00 USD. And I can't believe I'm going to be spending this much on an amp! I'm not even in a band or anything......BUT...I'm think the 65 DRR should last me for the rest of my life right?
Last edited by AGL23 at Mar 16, 2007,
If you like metal don't bother with a Fender amp. I have a HRD and its great. I love the thing, but I don't play metal through it, and neither should you. Check out something else.

That said, if you don't plan on getting an amp for metal, its a great amp. The overdrive is ok but I suggest getting a Tubescreamer and getting it modded by Keeley for a really great overdrive sound.
Quote by tstrebeck
The Deluxe Reverb is ALL tube. The HRD's reverb is solid state driven...don't get me wrong, the thing sounds great, I have one. I prefer it over my Vox AC15

This is just a guess, but I'd be willing to bet one of the 12AT7's in the HRD's is used to run the reverb. What else would they be in there for. Thats what those tubes usually do.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
meh

+1 for other amp suggestions because Fender amps are mostly known for their
sparkling clean sounds and will not do Metal tones too good...

but if TS really wants the amp then go...
but don't say we didn't warn you when you regret it...

if in any case you change your mind then you might look into these amps to try out:

Peavey - XXX/JSX/5150/5150 II/Windsor
Marshall - JCM800/JCM900/JCM2000 DSL
Laney - GH50L/GH100L/TT100H/TT50
Mesa Boogie - F series/Mark series

Quote by AGL23
What do you mean solid state driven? What the hell is a rectifier tube? Is that what you mean?

The 65 DRR features include a pair of 6V6 Groove Tube™ output tubes, one 5AR4 rectifier tube, four 12AX7 preamp tubes, two 12AT7 tubes

the Hot Rod has a 12” 8-ohm Fender Special Design Eminence speaker fueled by a pair of 6L6 Groove Tube output tubes and three 12AX7 preamp tubes. This has no mention of anything else except the output tubes and preamp tubes. Meaning the rest is not! Right?

A rectifier converts AC current to DC. On 90% of tube amps, the rectifier is solid state because it allows a "cleaner" conversion. On some amps, the rectifier is a tube which gives you a little bit of "sag" since the conversion isn't as clean.
Hi, I'm Peter
I've got a Fender Blues Deluxe, which is pretty comparable to a Hot Rod. the clean channel is great, the reverb is great, the drive channel is not that great. I've got a Boss DS-2 pedal and I can get a pretty good Alice In Chains sound and a passable Master of Puppets sound. I don't think it would be good for much heavier than that though. but I play about 50% blues and 50% rock, so it works ok for me. If I were more strictly into metal, I would've got something else. honestly, if I had it to go over, I probably would have got a Vox.....cheaper and more options than a Fender.
I wouldn't say SS is any "cleaner" really. SS recitification is just more efficient than a tube rectifier. When the amp needs the most power, the tube recitifier actualy delivers less since there is a voltage drop across the tube rectifier, which is not the case with a Silicon Diode rectifier. This is the reason for the "sag" and lowered headroom.

Like the others say TS, I would look at other options if you play a lot of metal. Some guys around here use clean amps and pedals to get their sound, but I don't know if they are actually going for metal. IMO, I've never heard that setup sound as good as an amp that was designed to play metal. The only ones that have sounded good to me were using something as a preamp, and then using only the powersection from the clean amp.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Mar 16, 2007,
Quote by Erock503
I wouldn't say SS is any "cleaner" really. SS recitification is just more efficient than a tube rectifier. When the amp needs the most power, the tube recitifier actualy delivers less since there is a voltage drop across the tube rectifier, which is not the case with a Silicon Diode rectifier. This is the reason for the "sag" and lowered headroom.

Like the others say TS, I would look at other options if you play a lot of metal. Some guys around here use clean amps and pedals to get their sound, but I don't know if they are actually going for metal. IMO, I've never heard that setup sound as good as an amp that was designed to play metal. The only ones that have sounded good to me were using something as a preamp, and then using only the powersection from the clean amp.

Yeah, and don't let the word solid state scare you here. This is the one instance where solid state is actually better then tube. That is unless you like the sag you get from tube, which is actually pretty good for distorted soloing. For cleans though I find it muddies things up since your notes are less reactive.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by AGL23
BUT....even then...I think i should definitely get a pedal anyways because right now I'm liking the blues, rock, jazz, classic rock...all rock....but also a lot of metal (death, thrash, power metal). And I can't spend more than a thousand on an amp...

How much is "a lot" of metal? What you're hearing in here is true, Fender's aren't the best metal amps. You might be better off in Canada looking at Traynors. The Blue 50 (whatever it's called!) is supposed to be a very Marshall-y sounding amp.

But if you want the kind of versatility you list above, Fender might just be a good choice for you.

Here's another important consideration: The 65 Deluxe Reverb is a beautiful amp, but it's "only" 22W. The Hot Rod you're looking at is almost twice that at 40W. You can gig with 22, and a lot of people on UG gig with 15, but my personal preference is at least 30. Especially if you play a lot of cleans.

Something else: The Hot Rod is based on the Blues Deluxe, except it has extra circuitry to give the extra gain channel. That might sound nice in the store, but personally, I think it's not so hot. I also believe that extra circuitry muddies up the tone a little bit. Being that you're thinking about getting a pedal anyway, I'd get the BD (better cleans than the Hot Rod, IMHO), and a high quality OD pedal.

And while I'm a big fan of Fender, if metal is going to be your mainstay, it would probably be wise to look around a little more.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Get the 65, then in a little while buy a pod. I think you'll find that a substantial avenue to get what you want. Or just a Tubescreamer (to increase the over drive of the 65 for beautiful cleans) and a decent distortion pedal. I think you'll find either avenue substantial, but deffinatly get the 65. If you do a wikipedia search of the series you'll see the list of famous artists and tones avaliable from that amp, and I think that will greatly effect your decision.
Quote by Erock503
I wouldn't say SS is any "cleaner" really. SS recitification is just more efficient than a tube rectifier.

That's what I meant
Hi, I'm Peter
Laney TT seems to be a better choice to me. Those amps have amazing cleans, very fender-like, and they have really good overdrive. If you wanted more, it would do better with a pedal than a HRD would, in my opinion. I think a Hot Rod's usability drastically declines once it gets past blues rock. A Peavey Classic 30 + a pedal would be another good option.
Try more amps.

The Deluxe Reverb is what you should go for if you want cleans and slight OD, the Hot Rod's OD channel is garbage, honestly.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
hey guys...thanks for all the advise. I'm even more confused now then I started...but that is a good thing!

if you want the kind of versatility you list above, Fender might just be a good choice for you.

I'm really starting to agree with you......I think that's the best bet right now. I think it's also because I want a fender so bad....mainly because of it's "legenary" tone (from hear-say) but also the DRR also made such an orgasmic first impression on me. U know...like that girl who'll give you EXACTLY what you want on the first date! Well....maybe...women aren't the best examples here...but u know what i mean. It was that good!

If you do a wikipedia search of the series you'll see the list of famous artists and tones avaliable from that amp, and I think that will greatly effect your decision.

I tried that...i didn't get anything. Actually that would be a great idea to find out what artists actually used these amps. Did you actually find something like that?

Anyways, I'm learning...and leaning more and more towards the Fender DRR...but going to keep looking.

I'm having trouble sleeping because I want that tone in my room...NOW! But anyways....we'll see what happens. THANKS!!
Last edited by AGL23 at Mar 17, 2007,
agreed..fender hot rod deluxe's overdrive is a ripoff...basically it just gets louder and muddier..its ok i suppose since its fender but compared to other amps..the overdrive sucks. Ive owned a Traynor YCV50 Blue, it had nice overdrive(think marshall) and the cleans were almost fender like(better cleans that a regular marshall)
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Custom Telecaster
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
I definitely agree with the fact that there are many other amps out there that are much more versitile then the Fender amps in discussion. Fender have immaculate cleans, but honestly, not much more. In all honesty, I've been in your position once, I tried an amp out in store that I was obsessed with, but once I brought it home and jammed on it for awhile, I was very much let down. All I'm saying is, do all the research you can possibly do, on ALL of your options, not just in the fender field, because there are many other brands with even more "legendary" tones then those Fenders. Just to name off a few, Marshall JCM 800/900/2000 have pretty high status tones as well as the Mesa Mark series. Peavey JSX has excellent cleans, amazing crunch and deathly distortion on its ultra channel, incredibly versitile. Just check out ALL of your options, not just in the fender world. Most people on UG know what they're talking about, so keep asking around. Thats my two cents.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
I've been in your position once, I tried an amp out in store that I was obsessed with, but once I brought it home and jammed on it for awhile, I was very much let down.

I TOTALLY don't want something like that to happen! WHY? because i plan on this being my big amp....which i would have to hold onto for at least a few years. I KNOW that i won't be able to spend another +$500.00 on amp again for a VERY long time.

Just to name off a few, Marshall JCM 800/900/2000 have pretty high status tones as well as the Mesa Mark series.

These amps might be really good but they're also expensive as hell! The more and more i think about it, I'm not going to be a rock star...or be in a band! I just need something to jam with and also to practice with from time to time....u know what i mean?

So...i guess the search continue! But what to do??

The Marshall AVT50 sounded really good for an amp that's about $600.00 CDN. I wonder...
I'd say, see if you can find a mesa F-50 or somewhere in that vein. those are pretty sweet, it probably fits what you need. It's not that expensive if you get it used either.
Quote by AGL23
The more and more i think about it, I'm not going to be a rock star...or be in a band! I just need something to jam with and also to practice with from time to time....u know what i mean?

So...i guess the search continue! But what to do??

The Marshall AVT50 sounded really good for an amp that's about $600.00 CDN. I wonder...

Please don't get that Marshall.

If those are your honest and sincere needs, you don't need a lot of power. You could probably get by with a Blues Jr. The '65 Deluxe Reverb might be perfect for you. You could look at the Peavey Classic 30 or Delta Blues, too. 30W of tube is plenty.

You were originally at $1000. If you get an amp in the $600 range, that would leave you a couple bucks to get a nice high-end pedal or two, and really sculpt your sound. I definitely think you'll be much better off with a smaller amp with great tone, than a big one with not-so-great (or just damn lousy!) tone.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Please don't get that Marshall.

LOL...you're begging me not to get that amp? OK...fine. I'm agreeing because...I really think the fender hot rod deluxe is better than that...and is in my price range. And I went tried the HRD with a Boss MT-2....and I honestly got a VERY good rock sound. I was really pleased with it. And all in all, I do want the versatility with my amp anyways. If I want a good clean sound, then I'll have it...otherwise...I'll use the pedal. I think this is a good start for my first "official" amp. Thanks...
for overdrive of both preamp and poweramp saturation, blues jr will be ur choice.
it can't go loud so clean though...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by AGL23
LOL...you're begging me not to get that amp? OK...fine. I'm agreeing because...I really think the fender hot rod deluxe is better than that...and is in my price range. And I went tried the HRD with a Boss MT-2....and I honestly got a VERY good rock sound. I was really pleased with it. And all in all, I do want the versatility with my amp anyways. If I want a good clean sound, then I'll have it...otherwise...I'll use the pedal. I think this is a good start for my first "official" amp. Thanks...

Yo,

where the 65 deluxe would be a really grat choice, so will the HRD... THey're great, and I think the drive channel sounds great. A friend of mine gigs regularily at small venues with his. He uses his Mesa triple rec at the big ones. Both work fine. The bonus you'll have with the HRD is it's smaller, and you'll have essentially three channels. Clean/ drive/ high gain with the MT2 if you buy one.
82 Ibanez artist ar105
94 Fender MIJ 72 tele custom reissue
04 prs se soapbar singlecut
97 Simon & Patrick pro flame maple
05 Art & Lutherie cedar 12
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20