I just played a Solid State practice Amp that I actually like. It's a 15W modeller from a manufacturer called Tech 21, and I've never seen one before. If I take this Monterey Strat copy off the music store in town, they'll give me about $200AU off the total package, which seems pretty good to me. The Monterey is all ash, so a candidate for a later pickup swap.

Does anyone know anything about this amp? It's a little more than the Roland cubes that were in my price range, but I really like it, total cost of the package would be about the same as the 5W crate tube combo I was thinking of getting, but with a guitar thrown in (always useful unless you just want to put your amp in your room and admire it)

I'm getting it mainly for blues, The artists I aspire to are John Lee Hooker, B.B. King, Tommy Emmanuel and Robert Johnson. It would probably eventully be the practice amp for a nice Tele when I can afford it (and then a later upgrade to a Hotrod Deville, drool). I played a 52 tele re-issue through it today and was well impressed on it's clean and slightly muddy sounds. It's never going to be used for metalcore (my brother has a Randall halfstack in the pipeline that can be used for that)
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
If you're looking for a 'true' blues tone, you'll need cranked power tubes. While I'm no elitist, no SS amps can replicate that sound fully yet. See if you can do a deal with a Valve Jr or something thrown in.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by the_random_hero
If you're looking for a 'true' blues tone, you'll need cranked power tubes. While I'm no elitist, no SS amps can replicate that sound fully yet. See if you can do a deal with a Valve Jr or something thrown in.

Ah the valve Junior, source of weeks of frustration for me. I want one, but you just can't get one in Australia. Every music store I've asked has them on order, at a cheaper list price than a Marshall MG, but can't get one till at least July, maybe. If anyone working for Epiphone is reading this, please send a container full of Valve Jr amps to us poor musicians in the colonies.

I even tried to order one from the states, cos they're $99US on musician's friend. Then of course I realised that I'd have to get a PITA transformer to run on our 240V outlets (America's what 115 or something really low like that) or actually replace the transformer in the amp, which is more trouble than I want to go to for a practice amp.

So unfortunately for me it's going to have to be a modelling amp for a while, unless I shell out $700AU for a 5W Crate, which is the cheapest all tube amp on the market bar the valve junior.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Where abouts in Australia are you? I know for a fact they are available in Melbourne.
This site has Valve Standard and Valve Specials in stock, although I'm not sure how the digital effects would compare to other amps with digital effects.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I dunno were you are but if close to Syd or Melb give Gallin's guitars a call or something. I know they have the valve special/standard and the new triggerman amps so I think they'll have the VJ or could get you one in.
They're awesome dudes too. They'll probably give you discount on shit.

Or... There was some on eBay but they had a different brand name.. They were the same casing/everything as the VJ combo but just a different brand, I can't remember what it was.
Moved.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by TheDev01dOne
I dunno were you are but if close to Syd or Melb give Gallin's guitars a call or something. I know they have the valve special/standard and the new triggerman amps so I think they'll have the VJ or could get you one in.

Or... There was some on eBay but they had a different brand name.. They were the same casing/everything as the VJ combo but just a different brand, I can't remember what it was.

I saw that amp too! I'll try and find a link to it again, I think it was the same price as a Valve Jr combo.
EDIT: The brand was Legacy, they are no longer listen on Ebay...
Last edited by the_random_hero at Mar 17, 2007,
i think the amp you used was the one with the built in GT2 modeller
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Quote by TheDev01dOne

I should give Gallin's another nudge on the Valve Junior, since they're supposed to be the Epiphone agent. I went in to ask, and the guy I talked to said they were sold out of them for ages, and seemed more interested in telling me how good the Orange Tiny Terror was (seeing as how I was looking for a cheap practice combo I have no idea how we got onto that). For some reason they didn't even seem to want to look up when they might actually have a VJ in stock, and I left rather bewildered.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Haha did you go to the Sydney shop? They are quite fond of their Oranges.

The hendrix guy, John, the manager is the best person to talk to at the Sydney shop. He'll help you more than the others just trying to make a sale I've found. I always just do everything through him.

He's pretty helpful, I don't see why he wouldn't get in a VJ if he could. Maybe they just really can't get them yet. I'd say go back and just be straight out with them. If they still won't help just bail I guess and find someone more helpful.
Wow you weren't kidding about the Legacy amps, they really are just an epiphone knockoff with a different badge on them

I found the expired ebay listing at
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Legacy-5-watt-valve-class-A-junior-combo-amp-amplifier_W0QQitemZ150100399835QQcategoryZ10171QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Spoke to Gallin's again, left my number, still none the wiser. Allan's music at least know when they'll have one, trouble is it's july.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Yeah I dunno what the quality of them would be compared to a VJ. I wouldn't trust it, it's only a little cheaper anyway. July is a long time to wait man.. At least you'll have plenty of time to research/make sure you're getting the right amp.
Just got an email from Guitar world up in QLD, and they also say there are no Valve Juniors in the country, and their next shipment is already sold. . Epiphone, please make more 240V valve juniors, we need them.

Looks like I'm going to have to buy a modelling amp, I've gotta have something to practice with. By the time the VJs turn up, I'll be able to buy a Valve Standard, Crate or Fender Pro Junior, which is the amp I actually want.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

I'd say that the Legacy is just a rebranded Valve Jr, seeing as though it's the same price and all.
For me, part of getting a cheap little all tube amp like the VJ, is that after I upgraded to a bigger amp, it would give me a toy to tinker with as I learn more about how sound gear works. Even if it had crap wiring, cheap tubes dodgey transformers and a speaker out of a Toyota Corolla, it would still give me a basic framework to start upgrading, replacing one component at a time to eventually have something really good. It's always easier to start with complete product, rather than trying to build something from instructions.

For this reason I would buy one of those VJ knockoffs, just to give me something to take apart. Before I started playing electric guitar, I started working on bicycles as a kid, then graduated to taking cars apart (got my current car smashed, and with a blown engine). From the time I was a baby I would disassemble anything in the house that would unscrew, torches, phones, anything I could get my fingers around. When I'm worried about something I'll take apart whatever's in my hands, whether it's a pen, a mobile phone or some "non user servicable" part of a car.

But as it seems they're not available at the moment, I'll just have to go with some black box modelling amp that I'll never be able to figure out.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

You could send them a message or something asking them to relist one or see if they're available.

I wouldn't settle for something you don't like. Can't you go to cash converters and get like a $20 POS just to pass the time until you can get something decent? They have really cheap amps like 'quest' for about $20 - $50 at most.

Or if you know other guitarists ask around for an unused practice amp to get free/buy/borrow. I don't like spending money settling for something I don't want when I could find an alternative in the meantime.
I wouldn't say i was settling for something I didn't want. The Roland cubes, Vox Valvetronix and Tech 21s I'm considering sound ok, for practicing in my home. I will enjoy the sound of whatever I buy, even if I don't get a tube amp to start with.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----