new amp soon. hopefully

i need a few suggestions tho

i play metal and hard rock, so has to be good at that
and blues and jazz. cleans are essential

the way i see it, i would much rather get an amp thats kickass at cleans and then just get an overdrive pedal, rather than having something thats so so with both

my budget is up to $1500. used is an option if i can find it

iv seen a few potential amps

Ampeg, Diamond Blue J12T.

https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=view&id=524

Vox AC15CC1X

https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=view&id=2015

any other suggestions?
Don't you know, I'm the end of what will be?
I'm not sure about those. They'd probably give you the blues and jazz tone you're after, and some rock, but not anything hard or heavy or metal.
if its a clean sound your after, then i would defo say they vox, to be fair you cant realy get much betgter than vox amps, i would buy one if i could afford it
Looks like you want a highly versatile amp...

Genz Benz El-diablo, it's been recc. by Dave and from what I heard--It's quite versatile for what it is.

You can also look into the mesa/boogie amps; F-series and the Mark series. Quite versatile beasts right there.

Good luck to you.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Personally I think if you want a great clean amp to use as a basis for building different sounds using pedals Ampeg is the way to go (I have to say that because of my avatar). Those Diamond Blue's are nice, and if you want something more powerful, check out an old V or VT series from the 70's (VT-22, VT-40, V4, V2). They're amazing, versatile, loud, ballsy amps and can usually be had for very low prices on Ebay. Might be harder to find is Australia but worth the extra shipping charges if you can find a US seller willing to ship to you.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Mar 16, 2007,
Quote by Diamond Dave
JSX? how much are they?

Like 1,299 USD for the head, 1,500 for the combo. Probably the most amazing amp ever.
Mesa boogie mark IV, engl powerball, or genz benz diablo are your best bet.
Quote by unplugtheradio

i dub thee, Knight of Asskickery.

that is amazing

Quote by human-blasphamy
i like my nether regions shaved down till there soft as a babys ass. Cause thats where there going.

The Day Cas Pwnd UG.
Quote by Alreddyded
0mgz Br00tal Gh0st!11!11
Used Mark IV sounds like the ticket - that should be right around your budget, but might run a tad higher. An Engl might be great as well, but I have no clue as to availability in Aussie. I have never played one as they are as rare as anything in the US, but from what people like Dave say they sound quite versatile and can give you a very nice hi fi metal tone. All the soundclips I have heard of them have backed this up as well.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by Jinskee

Genz Benz El-diablo, it's been recc. by Dave and from what I heard--It's quite versatile for what it is.

You can also look into the mesa/boogie amps; F-series and the Mark series. Quite versatile beasts right there.

Good luck to you.

Jinskee didnt reccomend an Orange?!?

Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by igotabcrich32
Jinskee didnt reccomend an Orange?!?

Well we all know Oranges can't do metal on their own.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
Quote by soccerdude3465
Well we all know Oranges can't do metal on their own.

Tis' true, which is why I didn't say to get an Orange! Although...you could def. hit some black sabbath with an orange!

Just saying .

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
^Well, rocker30's can do metal if you have the right pick ups and all...

But hey, he has a 1,500 budget and he wants the most versatile beast he can get .

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Okay but I had to stick up for my amp haha.

I hate budgets 'cos I can't ever even stick to my own, let alone someone elses.

There's a genz benz el diablo 60W combo on Aus eBay for cheap I think. I'll go find it..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Genz-Benz-El-Diablo-60C-All-Tube-Guitar-Amplifier-Combo_W0QQitemZ180094878892QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Has $1500 buy it now. I dare say you can get it cheaper than that if you wait til the end to bid. I've heard great things about this amp but never been able to play one. Seems like pretty good value to me though.
Last edited by TheDev01dOne at Mar 16, 2007,
Check out the Fender Twin amp. 100 watts tube, so CLEANEST cleans possible.
And then you could always use and od for a boost.
same goes for the Twin Reverb and 65' Super reverb which has the 4x10 jensen speakers.

The one I would most recommend tho is the Fender Super Sonic, pretty modern amp and has nice cleans and medium gain dist. so a OD on top of that could do metal! So I say try some of those high gain ones and the fenders. of course cant forget Jinskee's oranges!!

Its hard to find a amp that can do high gain whilst have nice warm cleans but theirs aload you can check out!

EDIT: Ohh AUD, I thought USD my bad, but ya buy the gens-bens that the ebay link is for!! great deal!!
^

Yes, I guess you could always try out an orange amp to see if the high gain suites you well enough! It suites me for all my needs, maybe it'll do the same with you!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
JSX = HUGELY versatile amp. It can do straight metal EASY, great cleans, and anything in between. And no I'm not just saying this cause I own it :P

Another good option would be the Mesa Mark IV as others mentioned, Ive only played it once and it was AMAZING, but the other guys here know what theyre talking about when they recommend a Mark IV ahha.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH MONEY!

EDIT:
(oh, AUD, not USD...)
/EDIT

You posted this amp:
https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=view&id=2015

When other sites like musicians friend has it listed for $600 cheaper.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-AC15CC1X-Custom-Classic-Tube-Amp-with-Celestion-Alnico-Speaker?sku=482626

Price comparison shop!!!!
Well, if you posted those just to show an example of an amp you wanted, then my mistake.
Last edited by greenbox at Mar 16, 2007,
yayy thanks for all the replies guys.

ill defiently look into the amps youv sugested. a store neear my work stocks mesa and engl

i think anything above 30 watts tube is gonna give me internal bleeding, because i will wanbt to crank it.
30 watts is probably pushing bit.

i dunno if there are much 15 or so watter amps?
Quote by stabitha
yayy thanks for all the replies guys.

ill defiently look into the amps youv sugested. a store neear my work stocks mesa and engl

i think anything above 30 watts tube is gonna give me internal bleeding, because i will wanbt to crank it.
30 watts is probably pushing bit.

i dunno if there are much 15 or so watter amps?

You don't have to crank high gain tube amps. Hell, you can't get a high gain 30w tube amp. You sure as hell can't get a high gain 15w tube amp. You're going to be looking at 40w minimum (peavey triple xxx 1x12 combo) but usually the heads start at 50w, 100w and 120w.

Quote by Jinskee

Good luck to you.

Genz Benz sound like a boogie on steroids without the hastle to dial them in. If you like that, fine. But personally, I think they aren't all they're cut out to be. Its way too big/flabby to do anything really player intense and I wouldn't use it for lead either.

The F-series is and the Marks are meh, the Marks can't do metal on its own really(and are expensive) and I never thought the F-series was much of an amp to begin with but if you like the tone than its a good amp for you."

Edit:

****, disregard. its $1500 AUD. You can't get 99% of the suggestions in this thread for $1500 AUD.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
****, disregard. its $1500 AUD. You can't get 99% of the suggestions in this thread for $1500 AUD.

I know.. Got mixed up too..

Is the MArshall Dsl in that range? It can do most of those like..
Oh it's AUD? I thought it was USD. Also, genocide, I'm not much of a boogie fan either (in terms of the F-series) Just a suggestion.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Oh, crud - AUD no USD. My bad - I take back my overpriced suggestions. What is the current exchange rate just to clarify though?
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Yeah as mentioned you guys are suggesting things way over priced and there's more to it than just exchange rates, freight and taxes play a part too. If you want to suggest something maybe have a quick look thru some Aussie sites

http://www.allansmusic.com.au/default.aspx?pg=20&SubDepartment=Electric+Guitar+Amps&category=Combos&categoryID=9

http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/electric/index.htm

https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=browse&id=30

TS the AC15 with Alnico's sounds good, you could go the AC30 without Alnico's too. I've not heard the AC15 but I've read the 30 is better, whether the Alnico speaker makes that much of a difference I don't know. Definatley try a few Fenders, Blues Jnr, Hot Rod Deluxe etc.

Personally I'd go the AC30, love that amp and with the 30 your going to be able to gig more situations than the 15W, not that there's a huge difference in volume. You'll get a little more headroom too.

EDIT: 2nd hand is always a good option too, opens up a lot more possibilities. Just depends what's around at the time.
Last edited by treagar at Mar 16, 2007,
oh the choices

ok so that cancels vox out.
any decent orange, engl or other brand amps i can get new or second hand, under $1500
You could probably get an Orange rocker 30 combo for close to $1500 brand new. Maybe a bit more.
It's not going to do super high gain metal by itself though. You'd need a distortion/OD pedal. But it is a great amp with a amazing clean channel to build off. (Personally I'd rather sacrifice hi-gain for a better clean channel)

ENGL are pretty damn expensive. I don't know if they even make combos but a stack would cost you at least $2500.

Just shopping around is your best bet. Music shops often have second hand stuff that's been traded in or something. But never pay the price on it. They sell it for a LOT more than they traded it for so if they don't give you discount just let them keep it.

I think that El Diablo is a pretty good option for you. It's very good value.

Also if you're interested I can give you the email of a guy in melbourne selling an Ibanez Thermion 120w all tube half stack for $1600 but I don't know what they're like. I've never played one.
Quote by TheDev01dOne
You could probably get an Orange rocker 30 combo for close to $1500 brand new. Maybe a bit more.
It's not going to do super high gain metal by itself though. You'd need a distortion/OD pedal. But it is a great amp with a amazing clean channel to build off. (Personally I'd rather sacrifice hi-gain for a better clean channel)

ENGL are pretty damn expensive. I don't know if they even make combos but a stack would cost you at least $2500.

Just shopping around is your best bet. Music shops often have second hand stuff that's been traded in or something. But never pay the price on it. They sell it for a LOT more than they traded it for so if they don't give you discount just let them keep it.

I think that El Diablo is a pretty good option for you. It's very good value.

Also if you're interested I can give you the email of a guy in melbourne selling an Ibanez Thermion 120w all tube half stack for $1600 but I don't know what they're like. I've never played one.

If an ENGL is $2500, isn't a El Diablo going to cost just as much?

I'd say that an ENGL would be more suited towards clean and low gain sounds (especially a screamer) than an El Diablo would, because the El Diablo didn't really have much for a crunch or anything at all.
Oh noes @ currency.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
aww we still havnt come to the conclusion on what stabitha should buy.
The ENGL has great cleans, especially if you crank the preamp.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
^ is that the powerball?

:O thats 100 watts (wayy too much) and it costs $4000. just for the head

well thats all the info i could find on it in aus.
I have a Sovereign, which is essentially a Savage combo. I'd advise either one of those, or a Screamer. You can occassionally find Screamer combos on ebay for about 1.5k AUD.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure