Page 1 of 3
hey guys i was wonderin who is your most hates or overrated guitarist.

Ill start

Mine is john frusciante. The reason i think this is because everyone thinks hes great and i watched a video of him on youtube playing a guitar solo on stage and it sounded horrific, he was like a little kid with his first ever squire stratocaster.
Jimi Hendrix.

/Thread.

Use the search button from now on.
Founder of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM me to join.
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
ak guitarist doesn't dress in the morning. he kills throughout the day and attires himself appropriately

john frusciante isn't overrated, you obviously don't understand how brilliant he really is. so what if he was sloppy on some youtube vid you saw? hes not trying to be steve vai. john's genius is in his conceptuality, the ideas behind the seemingly simple phrases and solos, the colours and emotions he evokes, ideas that are obviously beyond you.
Alexi Laiho

nuff said

(dont get me wrong he's a competent guitarist, but by no means great)
I think its obvious that Billie Joe Armstrong is massivly over rated to the point it makes me want to kill him, and no im not jumping on the wagon or whatever,and hmmmm i cant really think of anyone else, cos im so ****in tired, but there are plenty out there
Quote by AronRa (Youtube user)
It is better to be proven wrong, than to forever be wrong, and never know it.

Quote by Meths
Bill Hicks rules.

I hate my user name >_<
I would deffintly Jimi Hendrix is overrated, but in his day he was an innovator and was unheard of.

Some bedroom guitarists are far more technical.
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
Seriously? Billy Joe, he was on the cover of some greatest guitar heros mag... also the dude from my chemical romance. and i guess synyster gates and zakk wylde are a little overrated [not saying i dont like them though xD]
I think Steve Vai is overrated actually. He was just another player that was in the wake of guitarists after Yngwie. But i don't care for Yngwie either. Scott Henderson > Them all.
Quote by perko
john frusciante isn't overrated, you obviously don't understand how brilliant he really is. so what if he was sloppy on some youtube vid you saw? hes not trying to be steve vai. john's genius is in his conceptuality, the ideas behind the seemingly simple phrases and solos, the colours and emotions he evokes, ideas that are obviously beyond you.

well with the looks of things in that video a 2 year old could have wrote better guitar licks. and you said hes not trying to be steve vai, youre right on that because 1- he'll never be as good as steve vai and 2 - it looks more like hes tring to be like some guy with mental issues on that video.
Quote by espliam
well with the looks of things in that video a 2 year old could have wrote better guitar licks. and you said hes not trying to be steve vai, youre right on that because 1- he'll never be as good as steve vai and 2 - it looks more like hes tring to be like some guy with mental issues on that video.

do you have the link?

The truth hurts, but denial is what kills you.

Member #2 of the Fight Club Clan.
PM AndrewSchaeffer to join.
geese im gonna get flamed for this but i think all shred guitarists i.e steve vaie, ygnwie malmsteem, etc. because shure there technical and all but theres no feeling theres no i guess catchyness to there songs. when i listen to there music i go whoa great guitarist but to me it just gets extremely boing after a while. personal appinion thats all.

EDIT: ignore the bad spelling!
DONT FEAR THE REAPER!
Kirk hammet. a bit. One is always voted best solo ever. it's not that good :/
Quote by CraigKing
Kirk hammet. a bit. One is always voted best solo ever. it's not that good :/

i agree with One not being a good solo but u ought to hear some of his other stuff hes good at doing quick solos like on metallica's early albums and hes also a good blues and country style guitarist like on some of the solos on the Load and Reload albums
Quote by espliam
i agree with One not being a good solo but u ought to hear some of his other stuff hes good at doing quick solos like on metallica's early albums and hes also a good blues and country style guitarist like on some of the solos on the Load and Reload albums

True, MY main things against him are his oveer use of wah, not saying he uses it badly but, it does come up allot :/ and after hearing No Life Till Leather, where Ehm...allot of the solos from that did somewhat appear in Kill em All, mhm..
i think it is john petrucci, i said to myself try to listen him he must be great but everytime i try to listen to his stuff i dont like it
u mother****** u wouldnt know a note from a chord if they danced naked infront of you waving a tea cosy!!!!!!!!!!!
IF u think hendrix is overrated u either havnt ever heard a single 1 of his songs or you are to busy licking your self to here any of it.And further more if you ever try and diss Hendrix again I'll hunt you down and slap u so hard your dentist will feel it!!!!!!
Quote by slobby
i think it is john petrucci, i said to myself try to listen him he must be great but everytime i try to listen to his stuff i dont like it

theres a part of me that agrees with you.
No guitarist is overrated. their just opinions of alot of people who happen to come accross each other. if there is a guy who loves kirk hammet and thinks hes the best ever, show him a clip of Eruption, or a satch song. he probably doesent know them.
Quote by accousticgod
u mother****** u wouldnt know a note from a chord if they danced naked infront of you waving a tea cosy!!!!!!!!!!!
IF u think hendrix is overrated u either havnt ever heard a single 1 of his songs or you are to busy licking your self to here any of it.And further more if you ever try and diss Hendrix again I'll hunt you down and slap u so hard your dentist will feel it!!!!!!

easy blad, its only an opinion
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
Quote by CryoCarnage
I think Steve Vai is overrated actually. He was just another player that was in the wake of guitarists after Yngwie..

Uhh..
Yeeeeah.

===

Kerry King. Kirk Hammet. Bill Joe Armstrong. People are always saying oh Billie Joe can play mad solos. Well I heard some solos. They're simple. And from what I remember, all pentatonic minor with the same 3 overused licks.
John Mayer is a disgrace to music and society, and he needs to rott in hell.
Quote by el-ECTRO
If your child can breathe, suspect drugs. Only people who breathe take drugs. People who cannot breathe still can, but it is increasingly difficult.
Quote by rocker_46788
John Mayer is a disgrace to music and society, and he needs to rott in hell.

But he's a breath of fresh air to music and has so much to give and lives up to the blues, 21st century style
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
Quote by nick dixon
But he's a breath of fresh air to music and has so much to give and lives up to the blues, 21st century style

Yeah, he can play, I'll give him that, but everyone's all like, he's the next Hendrix, or SRV, and he's just some white guy playin the blues about a life he lives of money, fame, and women. Yeah...it must really be depressing living in a mansion, wearing 50,000 dollar watches, and making tons of money doing something he absolutely sucks at.
Quote by el-ECTRO
If your child can breathe, suspect drugs. Only people who breathe take drugs. People who cannot breathe still can, but it is increasingly difficult.
Quote by rocker_46788
Yeah, he can play, I'll give him that, but everyone's all like, he's the next Hendrix, or SRV, and he's just some white guy playin the blues about a life he lives of money, fame, and women. Yeah...it must really be depressing living in a mansion, wearing 50,000 dollar watches, and making tons of money doing something he absolutely sucks at.

Rascist.
Quote by rocker_46788

I was being sarcastic

I couldnt agree more
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
This is what I think being over rated is.

Having people rave over how such and such is the best guitarist ever and no-one else can ever be as good or come anywhere near. e.g.
Quote by accousticgod

basically I think most guitarists who have fanboys, who won't acknowledge the existence of even the possibility that there are better guitarists than their favourite, are overrated.

to say that somebody is overrated doesnt mean you're saying they're shit. You're just saying that in your opinion they don't deserve as much praise as they do get.

I personally think Jimi hendrix is a good guitarist. Good, but not amazing. There are 100's of guitarists with better technique, loads with greater songwriting abilities and a fair few that make me just go 'wow'. Hendrix has never done that for me. I think he deserves a lot of recognition but not the huge amount of people who praise him blindly as the greatest guitarist ever.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by cptazad
Alexi Laiho

nuff said

(dont get me wrong he's a competent guitarist, but by no means great)

man u r missing children of bodom
i think John Fruscante is pretty piss poor tbh. His tone isn't even that great
mydadisjewish = avatar stealer
Quote by KurrptSenate
i think John Fruscante is pretty piss poor tbh. His tone isn't even that great

god bless you for saying that
his musical ideas, lately, aren't anything new...

i think he reached his zenith back in like 92, and now hes just riding the wave...

honestly, for how many years that nigg has been playing, he should be a HELL of a lot better
mydadisjewish = avatar stealer
kirk Hammet is a great player but his solos are overrated (especially compared to someone like Marty Friedman in the early 90's)
Quote by IED0300
kirk Hammet is a great player but his solos are overrated (especially compared to someone like Marty Friedman in the early 90's)

i think friedman is a good guitarist but hes all speed and no melody. thats why more people like kirk better. playing quick doesnt mean that hes the best. kirk has a mixture of speed and melody
Quote by espliam
i think friedman is a good guitarist but hes all speed and no melody. thats why more people like kirk better. playing quick doesnt mean that hes the best. kirk has a mixture of speed and melody

marty friedman sure has the speed and melody, in fact i think melody is what he is charcterized by. listen to rust in peace and see urself
Page 1 of 3