Well, the pinky finger on my fretting hand doesn't even come up to ( what I think is called the first digit ) of my ring finger (what I mean is the first joint down from the fingertip).

So is there anything I can do about it? Apart from a medieval rack, which doesn't sound or look like much fun.
R E G G A E
well, I think you are exaggerating. Just keep playing, you`ll soon that your pinky
is not "retarded" ( :P ) as you claim. People say that pinky requires more training than
any other finger,tough. Believe me, there are a lot of great guitarists with short fingers.

Maybe u can try this, I created this excercise right now, I dunno if it`s effective:

-1----4
-........... 4
- ...................... 4
- ............................ 4
- ...................................... 4
- .............................................. 4 (keep fretting the first fret with the index finger)
If you find it too hard simply move the pattern a little down the neck (starting from 5th fret for example) or when too easy switch to such pattern for instance

5---9
.... 9
......... 9
............ 9
................. 9 and so on, so on...
hope it`ll help you to extend your joints a little bit :P
Mine doesn't either and I have no issues....

Practice!
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Take heart. I have been only playing since last October and thought my finger independance would never come. It has finally started after hours upon hours of chromatics and pentatonic scales. Keep up the good fight and it will come to you. Remember to be accurate with practice, the speed will come as if by magic. Muscle memory is a strange thing.

Chris
I had this problem with the ring finger. To everyones whos telling you to just keep playing, yes thats right, but force yourself to incorporate the use of your pinky. i forced myself to use my ring finger, and im so glad i did. my friend whos been playing as long as me (about a year) is so completely useless with his pinky. and he refuses to ever try and use it. i dunno if hes ever gunna be able to solo...
Same thing with my pinky and I have super short fingers and they are not getting any bigger as I am 23 and not growing anymore. My pinky doens't come to my ring finger's first joint (joint from the tip). I have been training it by doing a lot of bends verbrados and scales. My strength is comming pretty fast (couple of weeks) just keep at it and you will get strength.
I've only been playing for a few months and I had never used my pinky because I thought it was "retarded". But the styles and songs I want to learn require "pinky-usuage" so I just started practicing hammers and pulls and using the pinky isntead of my index or some other finger. And it really helps!

or you can try these-

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/accessories/navigation/exercise-gear?EC=30109&N=100005+330054
Member #11 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!

brainwashing
You don't need weights or anything just focus on using your pinky as much as possible. Use it where it is uncomfortable and strength will come pretty fast. I know in 2 weeks mine feels twice as strong.
I'm just gonna guess, are you guys holding your neck around your palm? That's really bad and it restricts mobility terribly, it'd be like trying to jog in pants five sizes too small.
Wow, I thought I was the only one with this problem!!! Here's one: is ne1's ring finger longer than their middle? Mine is by a few millimeters. If I put my hands together like I'm praying the difference between right and left is insane while all my other fingers are equal. This generally freaks ppl out.
Quote by fretboarddragon
Wow, I thought I was the only one with this problem!!! Here's one: is ne1's ring finger longer than their middle? Mine is by a few millimeters. If I put my hands together like I'm praying the difference between right and left is insane while all my other fingers are equal. This generally freaks ppl out.

That's unbelivably wierd.
R E G G A E
people try to tell me all the time it should be an advantage, but it's not. If I wanna do stuff on the lower strings I can reach across with my ring but my pinky's hanging around going "I can't reach!!" If I have to use it, I have to bend my ring finger back a little more.
I've been thinking about switching to lefty since the tip of my right pinky goes past the first joint of my right ring finger, and would probably be easier to play stuff.
It would be a b*&ch to re-learn since I've been playing for 16 years, but I think I could pull it off.
make sure your thumb is positioned as low as it possible can be on the back of the neck

YOUR PALM SHOULD NOT TOUCH THE GUITAR NECK!!!!

just rest the point of your thumb past halfway down the neck, and that allows your fingers to separate alot more.

try it if you don't believe me.

1) touch all your finger tips as close as you can to the tip of your thumb. Try separating your fingers now. Hard isn't it?

2) now pull your thumb down so it touches the part of your palm that's directly opposite of your knuckles. Now spread your fingers. Easier?
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
I have a similar problem , my pinky is double jointed and when i press down harder at some angles it always bends back (the part with the nail lol) and it hurts after a while . I find it annoying.
i never even used my pinky except for chords for about the first 6 or 7 months of my playing... i seriously regret it now... my pinky is double-jointed, so it doesn't move smoothly, it snaps in place, and although i'm getting much better with it, it still can't keep up with the rest of my fingers or my picking hand
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Quote by Evil_Magician
I have a similar problem , my pinky is double jointed and when i press down harder at some angles it always bends back (the part with the nail lol) and it hurts after a while . I find it annoying.

Mine too, you have to get it strong enough to where you can keep it bent forward. I got mine stronger first by just fretting one note and keep it there strumming. Later on I just did pentonics...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I know man. It is strong in normal situations but when i have to do a stretch from 2nd to 8th fret it snaps back.
If it's double jointed, you should be able to lock it up if needed......Not good for speed but it's useful for big stretches...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls