I've been playing for 6 months and know very little guitar theory. whatever I try I just can't seem to learn anythng about scales and chord structure. Should I know these things by know? And can anyone reccomend some simple scale lessons.
i've been playing over 5 years and don't know much about those things either. I've only just started learning scales.
I don't think it's that important, alot of the best guitarists ever never took a lesson, never learned to read music and couldn't care less.
Don't worry dude, I think the first six month to a year is for the entirely the fun stuff, I'd say after a year of playing try studying the petatonic scales or modes, I personally prefer the modes but I don't think it matters that much at such a young stage.

Just enjoy the guitar my friend you can get all serious later, and also It depends if you are intersted in learning theory, I recommened you to just play with a few simple scales but that's all for the time being as it can put you off the guitar.
Quote by freedoms_stain
i've been playing over 5 years and don't know much about those things either. I've only just started learning scales.
I don't think it's that important, alot of the best guitarists ever never took a lesson, never learned to read music and couldn't care less.

Umm.. Wrong, scales would probably be the best thing you can learn in your career for soloing and knowing your instrument
Learn a transposable blues scale. They are fun and you can make riffs to entertain yourself and others. In addition you will improve right hand left hand coordination. Once you can do the scales frontward and backward with eyes closed then learn the notes you are playing.