Poll: When Did/Will You Get Your Second Guitar.
Poll Options
View poll results: When Did/Will You Get Your Second Guitar.
Before One Year Of Playing
51 26%
One Year
69 36%
Two Years
47 24%
Three Years
15 8%
Four Years
5 3%
Five Years
4 2%
Six Years and +
2 1%
Voters: 193.
Page 1 of 2
I had my second one after a year. I started with a Strat and bought an Epi SG.
Hi, I'm Peter
I got mine after about a year and a half. New tube amp after only a year though.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Under 2 months of practice and already 3 guitars....

~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Hakael
Under 2 months of practice and already 3 guitars....

Lucky Bastard.
Me personally, this summer (in other words, like 3 months). I've been self-taught since August, and am current at wits with my RG321.

I plan on getting an Ibanez SZ320 or maybe an Ibanez. AR200.

then an new amp by the end of the summer making 1 year and under of play!!!!
Very soon.

and a 3rd Bass also :P
Gear:
Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Jackson CMG Bass
Ibanez BTB575FM 5-String Bass
Vintage 70s Ampeg V9 SVT/ Ampeg 8x10 Cab
Fender Deluxe Blackout Telecaster

Angelus Mortem
6 years later x_x. I started with a epiphone les paul simple model (100 dollar one) and spent six years with it. My parents dont support me in my music career so i had to buy it myself. I got a jackson randy rhoads. Not the simple model. I got the 1k bucks one. Im also planning to get a third one off my friend who's selling his ibanez aria for like 250 dollars.
I got mine just over a year. The Squier strat just sounds awful, and didn't suit most of what I was playing.

Make sure you get something alot better than what you've got and not just getting a second guitar for the sake of it.
I bought a Gibson Epiphone LP100 for $100 just because it was so damn cheap. I got a gig bag, strap, patch chord, and all that with it too. I don't use it much anymore because I'm not nuts about it, but even if I just resold it, I'd probably make money.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
I got my secong guitar when I started gigging. You don't really need another one until then, especially if you're just starting out. Having three guitars when you've been playing for under two months is a waste of money.
About two years... :/
I went from a BC Rich bronze warlock to an Epiphone Les Paul Special II which didn't start working good until I decided to give it away... :'(
Quote by gallagher2006
I had mine after 7 months, but that's only because I had just gotten alot of money for Xmas

Ya, it helps if you start near an arriving christmas. Too bad for me I started on a new years day, and had to wait a whole year before i could even think about upgrading.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
About two years after I started, I bought a JEM as my second guitar.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
I'm having loads of fun, and immensely enjoying all three.

Am I gigging? (at 2 months? ummm.. right...) No.

I don't even really ever plan on gigging in the future. I'm just playing for me.

And I don't recall hiring anyone here to handle my finances.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
I've had my Ibanez GRX40 for a year now, and I haven't upgraded yet
but, I did upgrade from a Ibanez IBZ10G amp to a Roland Cube 60
Quote by Twist of fate
So it doesnt feel like scraping your penis on sidewalk

my gear
Ibanez GRX40 guitar
Roland Cube 60 Amp
Ibanez IBZ10G Amp

Member of
[bThe UG Asian Invasion!
Pm night_lights to join the hallowed Asian ranks (Over 2000members)
Well, I got my first electric after playing my acoustic for almost a year. However, in terms of getting a second electric or acoustic, I've yet to get a new one after almost three years...
My first was a Schecter C-1+. Never really cared for any other guitars because it had the sound I was looking for. 4 years later, I have expanded my tastes and felt the need for a clean single coil sound out of a tube amp. I acquired my brothers Fender Blues Jr. amp and bought a Fat Strat (MIM). I have now 2 different sounding guitars for my different tastes in music.
Gear

EB MusicMan JP6 - Pearl White
Gibson LP Studio - Silverburst
Schecter C-1 Classic - Quilted Blue
Schecter Banshee (x2) - Marine Blue
Taylor GS-Mini
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Half Stack
Line 6 HD500
Started off with my pacifica, n about 2 days later (my 16th birthday) i was bought my Les paul. played with that for a couple of months, got my Cruiser.. between getting that n my ibanez, i had a Swift RR5 copy (pink..ergh) a black Westwood RR5 Copy, and 3 acoustics. lmao
started with my acoustic (mirabella) then a year later i bought my electric(ibanez) then six months later i got my les paul and since then iv'e gotten a dean v-coustic and an Ibanez RG
Gear

Ibanez ax120
Behringer V-tone Gmx 212 120w
Boss ds-1
marshall blues breaker
boss v-wah
boss chorus
gibson les paul standard with gold hardware
!new! Dean V-coustic
!new! Ibanez rg 320 fmam

Lets see... about 2 and a half years of Squier before I upgraded to a Fender HSS Stratocaster. Well, you could also say about 3 months (I started on my dad's kickass Guild acoustic, which I still play, then got the Squier for Christmas), but whatever.
You lucky bastards. I've been stuck with a Kapok (with an action that will give me CTS soon enough) for 2 years. I was supposed to get an Ibanez, but NO!

Anyhoo, sorry for spamming. =D
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
I got my second guitar after just under 1 year
i wet from a cheap strat rip off to a deluxe stagemaster, and its lush
StueyALBB
The only two things visible from space with the naked eye are the Great Wall Of China and Herman Li's hair.
Pmpl that is so true!!
My second guitar was a squir strat, after an anterez acoustic guitar. (now I have six guitars including the first two, and yes I worked my ass off for them... yep got a job)
HaKeal:
3 months and 3 guitars, ever think about adopting a brother (me). Not for the money just for the gear. lmao
i started with a behringer (even worse than the squier strat!), so i got my second after like 6-8 months+ or something. Got a gibson SG, it was right after i got my confirmation money so i had a lot of cash
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
- Jimi Hendrix (R.I.P)

"Nobody dies a virgin... Life fucks us all."
- Kurt Donald Cobain (R.I.P)
1 year.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
1 year

I go my second guitar because i was getting better and i had a piece of crap guitar(Jay turser flying V).and my second guitar is great for me i have a Peavey rotor exp usual list price 1000$ but i got it for 680$ and then i customized it with e.m.g pick ups and a
floyd rose.

So basically i bought my new guitar because i need it.

if you have only been playing for a year and you have an Gibson Les-Paul
or an SG Don't buy a new guitar

Yeah, my friend (who's been self taught for a few months and just started taking lessons recently) was bought a Gibson SG (albeit a Special Faded) by his parents. He didn't pay a dime for it. Funny thing is, he doesn't even take it out of the house. Not to his lessons, not to jazz band, keeps it in his room. He takes his shit Squier everywhere else.

Oh yeah, and what really pisses me off is that he still has a Squier SP-10 for an amp. Grar.
Quote by PaulyVengeance
Pmpl that is so true!!

What's 'Pmpl' ?

Bah - that was my 1,000th post... You'd figure it would suck a little less
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Last edited by Bazilisck311 at Mar 16, 2007,
I had my second one after a year. I started with a Strat and bought an jackson King v (Jackson js30kv)
Guitar
Jackson JS30Kv

Amp
Vox AD15VT
MARSHALL MS-2C Micro-Amp
Quote by Bazilisck311
What's 'Pmpl' ?

Bah - that was my 1,000th post... You'd figure it would suck a little less

He's quoting my signature. *Points down*
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
I got my second guitar after 2 years of playing. I had learned on a crappy little Harmony Guitar that my mom bought for me. I ended up buying a Jackson Randy Rhoads model. I got it customized from Jackson, which I reccommend everyone doing if they still offer it.
getting my second in 4 weeks.. heheh
My gear:

Ibanez RGR320EX
BOSS DS1 MODDED
BEHRINGER DD100
CHORUS
EQ

LINE 6 SPIDER III 75 WATTS
I got my second and third before one year of playing. its not that im spoiled, because i paid for 2 of them myself and the third was a birthday present, i just know what i want and when i want it.
Page 1 of 2