I've been saving money for a while now, still don't have quite what I need, but I want a nice halfstack that is good for metal mixed between Atreyu and Killswitch sounds.

I also want a nice clean channel for jazz, blues etc.. But mainly for metal.

I was thinking of Marshalls, which at first I thought was the best period, or a Randall, or a Crate (which I heard have been really good the past few years. I don't want something over 1,500$ please help?
well

your 1500 USD might get off with a Mesa Boogie Single Recto (not sure though)
but if you're going Marshall then maybe a DSL or a TSL might do...
Randalls might be good to but Crates... I have no experience with them...

other amps:

Peavey - 5150/6505, JSX
Marshall - TSL50, DSL50
Mesa Boogie - Mark IV

^^

yes Peavey's are good for metal if we're talking about the 5150/6505 which EVH used...
which has a lot of gain on it...

if you're wondering what does a Mesa Boogie sounds like then listen to some Metallica
songs within the Black Album to Reload that'll give you an idea of what a Mesa Boogie
sounds like...
6505+ foo'

hands down.
Gear:::

Schecter C1 Classic - drop C - .11's
Ibanez rg321 (emg 81/85) - drop D - .10's
----------------------
Peavey 6505+
Peavey XXX 412 cab
Crate VTX212b Combo - practice amp.
----------------------
ibanez TS9

Quote by FretZippy21
Peavy's are good for metal? I always thought they were best for clean? And I've heard a lot about Mesa Boogie, but have no clue what it is or how it soudns

metal slaying beasts. i adore my dual rectifier when u turn it up the tube rectifier gives it sucha ncie sag and its just so fuking massive sounding. it would give you a really good KSE soudn i think(ive only heard a coupel songs by tehm) but i know they use krank. Listen to LOG to get a sense of what the mark IV does. the TSL is a nice amp as well. plety loud, but just not massive enough for me. The 6505 is a ncie fuker as well. the other guitarist in my band is gettign one. apparantly dual rects and 6505's sounds kilelr otgether. very dark gain oriented amp
Orange Rockerverb 50 or 100

They can do metal pretty easy. Maybe need an OD or Distortion pedal for over-the-top infinite gain death metal. But for everything else they should be fine.

And, with any Orange, AMAZING cleans for your jazz blues.

The Thunderverb is also great for both. (Of course I'm going to recommend it..)
I'd say look into them if you're after some decent diversity.

The peaveys/mesa are the standard metal amps but they have pretty bad cleans.
And you'll also have the same generic metal tone that everyone else has..

EDIT: Krank amps are shit. Don't even bother touching one. Especially the Krankenstein, I have no idea how they can put Dimebag's name on something so pathetic.
Last edited by TheDev01dOne at Mar 16, 2007,
Quote by FretZippy21
I've been saving money for a while now, still don't have quite what I need, but I want a nice halfstack that is good for metal mixed between Atreyu and Killswitch sounds.

I also want a nice clean channel for jazz, blues etc.. But mainly for metal.

I was thinking of Marshalls, which at first I thought was the best period, or a Randall, or a Crate (which I heard have been really good the past few years. I don't want something over 1,500$ please help?

Peavey JSX is probably the best sounded amp i've heard. Versatile too.

Mark IVs i believe were created as a slightly more "rock" version of the Mark I, but bands like Lamb of God have found that the amps internal distortion creates amazing heavy riffs. Sounds good clean.

Try an Orange Thunderverb. Massive watts, versatile sound and Guitar World rated them highly.
Quote by RG_FANMAN

Mark IVs i believe were created as a slightly more "rock" version of the Mark I, but bands like Lamb of God have found that the amps internal distortion creates amazing heavy riffs. Sounds good clean.

Try an Orange Thunderverb. Massive watts, versatile sound and Guitar World rated them highly.

but arent they lei ridicuklously expensive? how mucha re they in US or CAD?
If you're talking about the Thunderverb.. Head = $3099 Australian.. Compared to a Dual rectifier = $4500 at least.

I dunno what those prices are in US or CAD.

You can get good discount on Orange amps unlike Mesa that you can barely get anything off RRP.
Quote by FretZippy21
I'm thinking Peavy 5150 now, because I remember EVH using it, and he's my favorite guitarist. I love his tone, so I suppose that'd be best for me is a Peavy 5150, over a Marshal DSL, or TSL, and over a Mesa Boogie??

the 5150 and the 6505 is the same amp just a different name,the 5150 is not made anymore the 6506 is.
all these amps that people have listed bought new and with a cabinet will cost over yor price range.
I would save money and go for a rectifier. Marshall will not handle that tone nor will orange those are for good brit sound. I would choose a rectifier over a Krank or Randall any day.
Other stuff are
Peavey xxx = 1800 w cab
peavey 6505
these have crappy clean channels no comparison to mesa
peavey jsx is ok. its amazing for lead and is the best for lead. Not much competition to mesa in terms of rythm and clean. Peaveys generally have a very dry clean.
Id either save money and get a mesa rectifier or, buy a rectifier with a smaller cab to cut costs.
Why is everyone recommending LOG as the premier Mark Series band..
hell go listen to Metallica from AJFA and the Black album, thats a better sense IMO..

Or John Petrucci on Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Scenes From a Memory, or Train of Thought. Those will give you a good sense of the versatility the Mark Series has to offer, or listen to any of the older albums for a sense of the Dual Rectifier sounds.

Note: I personally prefer Marks to Rectifiers as the Marks have amazing cleans and mid gain tone (go listen to Santanna, or virtually any non-metal artist who endorses them, besides the root of the mark series spawns from modified Fender Princetons, so they all have the basic core of excellent cleans), and they also sport a more defined, tighter distortion than the typical loose, saggy feel of a rectifier (yes, even with SS rectification)

Also: I'd check out the Randall XL series, amazing amps, with a really really tight distortion, and they are also ridiculously reliable, since they have SS poweramps. Go check them out, trust me, you'll never think of Solid State in the same way as before.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Last edited by Striketalonx at Mar 16, 2007,
You can get a Mesa F-50 head on ebay for like $800 bucks. Ebay is the way to go. But if you dont want to do it the ebay way, try B-52. The at-100 head sounds are very close to Mesa, but also has a tone of their own. Also, try out the Tech 21 Trademark 300 head. Its not tube, but it will get you a great metal tone, and very much power.

As for a cab, cant go wrong with a Marshall 1960 cab. OR Try a B-52 also, great cabs for good prices.
Last edited by CarbonDeath at Mar 16, 2007,
Quote by FretZippy21
I'm thinking Peavy 5150 now, because I remember EVH using it, and he's my favorite guitarist. I love his tone, so I suppose that'd be best for me is a Peavy 5150, over a Marshal DSL, or TSL, and over a Mesa Boogie??

It depends on what songs, all his albums he recorded with David Lee Roth (all the good stuff ) were recorded with old Marshalls, the 5150 was used on all the later albums with Sammy and that one other guy...
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by RG_FANMAN

Mark IV>>>>>>>>>>JSX

And yes I agree with Strike, i prefer the mark series over teh recto series. IMO it has much warmth. and a tighter sound.

price wise. you can get them from 1100-1600 ish on ebay or through private sellers.new is 1800.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks