Anyone have one? any opinions welcome. I was reading a ltlle about Vai using one, but it said it was "altered".
I have one, it's ok. A bit weak maybe. I use it for very very light distortion. Turn the drive up too far and it sounds harsh and awful, but you can get a nice sound if you keep it way way down (below 12 o'clock).

There's deffinately better available. Before you buy this, think about what you need it for.

Robert Keeley does a mod that sounds far better if you've got the money. That may or may not be what Vai uses, I don't know anything about him
i agree. it's very weak sounding. i changed to a MD-2, and i like that a lot better. the range of distortion you can get on the DS-1 is very limited, and, in my opinion, none of it sounds that good. works fine on a practice amp, but anything larger and it sounds like hell.
Schecter C-1+
Fender FM212R
Boss MD-2
A shitload of other pedals I never use.

Quote by Nelsean
I swallowed a marble when I was 8. I pooped it out in the same day too.

Quote by stringmagician
Only funny thing in this whole thread.
Quote by vanq
Anyone have one? any opinions welcome. I was reading a ltlle about Vai using one, but it said it was "altered".

My only distortion pedal at the time being. Pretty sweet. Can get a good metal tone with some adjustments on the knobs, and not bad for the 30 bucks i paid for it.

And yes, these can be altered apparently. On a review at guitarcenter.com a guy said there's a website that lists mods and stuff for the pedal. I think it's like 20 bucks or work and it can handle anything.

I haven't modded mine yet, but may eventually.
I've had mine a long time, and although it doesn't have the fullest of sounds, for the price you can get a shit load of versatility out of it. There are a lot of mods you can buy/modded versions you can get that are fairly popular and apparently make it a pretty decent pedal. It's a good starter-intermediate pedal, and if you get the mod, even pros use it sometimes.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
DS-1 metal tones? you sure man? cus i'd say no way no how. its far to light for metal, hasn't got anywhwere near the bottom end for metal
Get a Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion, I got it this past weekend, awesome pedal.
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
Quote by freedoms_stain
DS-1 metal tones? you sure man? cus i'd say no way no how. its far to light for metal, hasn't got anywhwere near the bottom end for metal

My amp's clean channel is half distorted with a shitload of bottom end for some reason (Thanks you crappy Marshall MG series!!!).

The distortion knob at like 3 o'clock, width at the same or at max, level anywhere from 9-12 o'clock makes a pretty good metal tone....not for like grindcore or death metal, but enough of a metal tone for starters.

EDIT: Just spent some time looking for a review of the pedal, and the site that has the modifications for it is: www.indyguitarist.com . They also have amp mods and such. Hope this helps!
Last edited by RG_FANMAN at Mar 16, 2007,
i tried out both the ds-1 and the md-2, and the md-2 won by a soundslide. if i was you, i would buy the md-2, even if i had to save up for it. try both at guitar center and see.
I use a ds-1 in my rig. My twelve year old son has a Digitech deathmetal in his rig.
If it's really hard distortion your after don't put the ds-1 in your setup. They both do their particular jobs well. But trying to get a ds-1 to sound metal is not realistic. Try as many as you can and get what works for you. It all depends on what you want to hear.
Last edited by ztarz at Mar 16, 2007,
It sucks, along with most Boss pedals.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
i use my DS1 for hard rock... with a strat... a sss strat.

although whoever said think about it is right.

the md-2 has far more tonal abilities, but the DS1 hit right in the sweet spot i was looking for.

^youll see a lot of that btw. dont take peoples online advice. the only one i took was the blues junior advice, and that worked out. everyone says the DS1 sucks.

they dont.
I agree, you can't get too heavy with it, but for 40 bucks, it is a good pedal...it can get gritty. But an EH Big Muff is the bestest in my opinion...MD-2 is good too.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by Arlabester
i use my DS1 for hard rock... with a strat... a sss strat.

although whoever said think about it is right.

the md-2 has far more tonal abilities, but the DS1 hit right in the sweet spot i was looking for.

^youll see a lot of that btw. dont take peoples online advice. the only one i took was the blues junior advice, and that worked out. everyone says the DS1 sucks.

they dont.

and ive played death metal on a sss strat, it doesn't mean its a good idea.

The DS one can be modified to be good, but out of the box its not really all that great..
DS-1 was my first pedal (had it for around a year I guess) for the price I think it's a nice little pedal. I can get one or two nice sounds from it and also like to use it as a boost. However I don't use the pedal as much as I used to, it's good for the price and does the job. But i'm looking to mod it or get something better soon.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by Arlabester
its not super hard rock.

any high gain pedal on an sss strat just blows.

Protip: I don't use pedals, let alone pedals for high gain.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Protip: I don't use pedals, let alone pedals for high gain.

high gain in general blows on an SSS strat.
Quote by Dr. No
It sucks

+1

I bought mine when I was a n00b. It's long gone now.
i got one cheap like, doesn't suit me, dont like it myself
=---Can't stop addicted to the shindig!!
Boss makes pretty crap OD/Distortion pedals. If you want a heavy sound get a OD pedal or a tubescream and add that onto your amps natural distortion, if you want amid gain sort of sound, a big muff is a good choice. It's more voiced like a Distortion nowadays anyway.
ive played one, never owned one though, but i found the DS-2 to be much better than the DS-1
Quote by Charlatan_001
Uh-oh. People might mistake you for a homosexual if you buy a purple pedal.

Quote by Shredlet
You own an Rg2570E and you live in Australia I to you sir!
Quote by mr_hankey
Well, the fact that 'Death Cab For Cutie' uses one should tell you enough, really.

the ds1 is good for modding...
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Quote by mothership
the ds1 is good for modding...

Not really; the pcb is very crowded, and there's no good way of making it true-bypass.
actually, vai and satriani both use analogman, not keeley.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
actually, vai and satriani both use analogman, not keeley.

Really? I've always heard that Vai used a Keeley.
yeah, I always thought that too, he advertises it on the Keeley site iirc.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
no i heard he'll be using a different pedal now. forgot what it is and i dont know exactly if its true. but i still think he used a keeley. at the g3 dvd concert. there is a bonus material there that showing the rehearsal. steve talk to satch about hes keeley..

edit: g3 with petrucci
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Last edited by mothership at Mar 18, 2007,