I was jus wondering is there any good modern popish songs that use or can be done fingerpickin.Songs like Mr. Brightside and other songs many people know.
Damien Rice === Legend
Last edited by guitarguy182 at Mar 16, 2007,
Fingerpicking seems to have died out now. Now acoustic players just bash out some chords on a D-18.

If you want something that's fingerpickin' good, look into some older stuff. Maybe:
Ralph McTell
John Renbourn
Pentangle
Bert Jansch
Simon & Garfunkel

etc.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
R u kidding me. The only reason i play acoustic guitar is for fingerpicking and i bet many others feel the same way. It's all about the feelingman. Humm and for the songs. Try some Doyle Dykes, Tommy Emmanuel, etc.....
^ *hits head*

Why didn't I think of Tommy Emmanuel; he's amazing. I knew there was someone good I missed off my list... (not that it's a long list anyway)
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Quote by Matic
R u kidding me. The only reason i play acoustic guitar is for fingerpicking and i bet many others feel the same way. It's all about the feelingman. Humm and for the songs. Try some Doyle Dykes, Tommy Emmanuel, etc.....

I 100% Agree.

Butler Trio stuff is awesome too.
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
If you are looking for modern poppy stuff then maybe try

Why Georgia - John Mayer
Time of your Life - Green Day
Curbside Prophet - Jason Mraz

Hope this helps.
Quote by Calum_Barrow
Fingerpicking seems to have died out now. Now acoustic players just bash out some chords on a D-18.

Yeah, i agree. Jose Gonzalez graced us with a fine fingerpicking album but he's just a gem among a whole load of generic poo. Modern GOOD fingerpicking stuff is rare, very rare. Anyone can string C G and F together in a few strums and make a song, which is all you Blunts and Morrisons out there - you have to look into older music if you want true fingerpicking glory.

I live for fingerpicking, or 'fingerstyle' to be anal :p

Here's the most influential fingerpicking songs i've come across:

Classical gas - Mason Williams
Anji - Davy Graham (or S&G)
Road - Nick Drake
Bluefinger - Don Ross

You're gonna get people suggesting all the usual like 'Blackbird', 'Dust in the wind' etc, they're good, but there's so much more out there..

Oh and to the guy above... 'time of your life' is most DEFINITELY NOT a fingerpicking song. I find that an insult tbh...

htpp://www.olivergoldingmusic.com
Last edited by ask_withnail at Mar 18, 2007,
^ Yeah, there's not much fingerpicking around now. BTW, it's Davey Graham. Also, Bert Jansch did a very good version of Anji.

Also, if you like stuff like that, then I suggest some songs like The Hermit, and Judy, both by John Renbourn. I've got tones of good fingerstyle songs, and loads of tabs and stuff if you're interested, just add me on MSN or something. Pretty much all I play on my acoustic is fingerstyle, and pretty much all I play is acoustic too (I play it a lot more than my electrics anyway, and it's getting more and more acoustic too).

Landslide by Fleetwood Mac was one the very first fingerpicking songs I learned. It uses the same picking pattern throughout the song, so it's fairly simple.
Not much fingerstyle and all? What about Don Ross, Antoine Dufour, Andy Mckee, Erik Mongrain, etc..... all new in the fingerstyle genre.(Well not necessarily Don Ross)
^ I've heard of Don Ross out of those, and that is it. I only know Don Ross because he randomly added me on myspace. That is all. And I mean there are no mainstream people playing fingerstyle, which is true - there aren't. Back in the 60s and 70s and stuff when the folk scene was big (god, how I wish folk was popular today since that is pretty much all I play!) pretty much all the big names were fingerpickers. Even rock bands fingerpicked on the few acoustic songs they did (Take Pink Floyd's Hey You for example)

Any Mark Knopfler acoustic stuff. I can't think of anythig off the top of my head though.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
For modern poppish stuff, alot of John Mayer's acoustic songs are fingerpicked. To get you started, "comfortable", "neon", "why georgia", "the heart of life" and "stop this train" are all fingerpicked.

Like DJaye said, the John Butler Trio is virtually all fingerpicking. A popular JBT song in this forum is "ocean" but it's not really poppish like you were looking for.
Guitars
"Dakota" - Fender Splatter Strat
"Jacqueline" - Maton CW80
Anything by John Butler Trio

Mexico and Paper Shoes by Incubus
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Although not poppy, Andy McKee (sp?), Drifting is an awesome song (although not finger-picked, more like tapping) his other songs are finger picked and are great.
claptons tears in heaven is good, try to play songs that are normally played with a pick by fingerpicking, i'm not good with picks so i play all the riffs by fingerpicking and only when it's comes to power chords and solo's i use the picks..
also try spanish romance, extreme- more than words, behind blue eyes, stairway to heaven, over the hills and far away, ...