I currently cannot gallop, very well at all. I have not yet got the speed. My two finger technique is good and I am fairly quick but I would like to extend my technique to the three finger Maiden style gallop so I can play some of their stuff.

Does anyone have any good exercises for me to do so I can develop a good, fast gallop.

Much love, Bullet
signature
learn to play with three fingers !!!!!!!!!!!

when you got it you will see it is much easier to play with three fingers then with two
Quote by bassFTW
learn to play with three fingers !!!!!!!!!!!

when you got it you will see it is much easier to play with three fingers then with two

Worst advice ever/10

Anyway, I'd suggest playing 1-2-3-2-1 for straight 3-finger playing, and 1-2-3-1-2-3 for gallops. The best way to do this is just practice the 1-2-3-2-1 whenever possible, even when not playing the bass. Do that instead of fidgeting, and you'll get it down in no time. As for an exercise, this should do fine.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by Confused4930
Worst advice ever/10

Anyway, I'd suggest playing 1-2-3-2-1 for straight 3-finger playing, and 1-2-3-1-2-3 for gallops. The best way to do this is just practice the 1-2-3-2-1 whenever possible, even when not playing the bass. Do that instead of fidgeting, and you'll get it down in no time. As for an exercise, this should do fine.

Thanks Confused, for some reason it seems more comfortable for me to gallop 3-2-1-3-2-1 for now. Obviously it's not fast galloping but it feels easier than 1-2-3-1-2-3.
signature
2-1-3-2-1-3 thats how i am but then again i can do stuff strange
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Quote by Bullet-Rule
Thanks Confused, for some reason it seems more comfortable for me to gallop 3-2-1-3-2-1 for now. Obviously it's not fast galloping but it feels easier than 1-2-3-1-2-3.

I do it that way too, dunno why, Its just smoother and faster. Also, when you're warming up with scales of w/e you do,use the galloping motion on each note instead of normal plucking. The more you use the technique the better you'll become at it. Simple as that.
I can use two and three fingers, but find two easier for galloping generally. It feels cool to use three, but I don't find it any easier
Quote by Bullet-Rule
I would like to extend my technique to the three finger Maiden style gallop so I can play some of their stuff.

STFU, Harris plays with 2.

Just look up Maiden songs. (Hallowed Be Thy Name is an amazing song to build endurance and speed on.)
if i do gallop its 3-2-1 3-2-1 it just feels more natural to me and if you want to practice it really helps to just gallop with your fingers on everything like on desks, tables, and eventually you'll get more familiar with it
honnestly i would just learn to play with 3 fingers if you've already got some speed once you pop that third finger in there you can go prety dang fast
just keep doing three finger gallps on a table when you're not doing anything with that hand. works for me, and i can PWN 3 finger gallops now.

also, i found playing unplugged and trying gallops helped. I tend to play harder when im unplugged so i can hear myself better, and then when i plugged in , i was a a lot ouder than i needed to be, so i could ease up on the attack and gallop even faster than the speed of light

- DC

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
dude once you get your skills ready play some hourglass by lamb of god or the tropper by iron maiden those songs will in crease your gallop basically anything by lamb of god will have a little gallop in it.
Fender 60's Strat
Peaveybackstageplus(vintage)
digitech whammy
boss ds-1
Quote by Counterpoise
Just look up Maiden songs. (Hallowed Be Thy Name is an amazing song to build endurance and speed on.)

I found The Trooper was slightly better because it has sections where you're not always galloping, enabling you to 'rest' your fingers for a little bit. I learnt how to do 3-fingered galloping with that song too.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Quote by Counterpoise
STFU, Harris plays with 2.

dude, youre crazy. Ive seen Maiden, he plays w/ 3.
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
Quote by christianbassis
dude, youre crazy. Ive seen Maiden, he plays w/ 3.

Uh, no, he doesn't. He's said in various interviews that he only plays with two fingers, and lately he's been playing chords with his thumb/index/middle clenched together (as if he was holding a pick). His ring finger moves with his middle, making it look like it's three.
Gear:
SX SJB62-5 5-String Fretless Jazz Copy (EADGC)
Ibanez GSR200 4-String Fretted (BEAD)
Ibanez IBZ10B 10 Watt Practice Combo Amp
DR Stainless Steel Lo-Riders
Yamaha Air Cell Straps
Quote by Bullet-Rule
I currently cannot gallop, very well at all. I have not yet got the speed. My two finger technique is good and I am fairly quick but I would like to extend my technique to the three finger Maiden style gallop so I can play some of their stuff.

Does anyone have any good exercises for me to do so I can develop a good, fast gallop.

Much love, Bullet

steve harris uses 2 fingers not 3
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by Vampire 255
steve harris uses 2 fingers not 3

Oh dear god, was that really necessary?

This is thread is over a year old.

Don't necropost.

*reported*
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.