Hey Folks, i've got an Ibanez Sa120 (lovely guitar) and a Line6 Spider 3 30 W amp, I'm trying to get a Santana style sound, but so far my version sounds shit basically, you guys got any tips on cracking up to get that tone, asides from getting a PRS Santana 2, a Mesa Boogie wall and other expensive equipment
You won't get his tone without that high end gear, and sure as hell won't get close on a spider.

In tone you get what you pay for, and he payed out the ass before he got endorsed.
The only thing i ever came across that would help is turn your tone knobs down to 0 on your guitar.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
i didn't say like the exact i just wanted a decent santana style sound on my insane channel
Heh, he often goes live with a simple Custom 22 such is his love for PRS (I burn for those guitars). I guess little things like adjust your tone on your guitar to about 3/4 of max. On Smooth he plays with a wah using it as a filter i.e. fully extended, the whole way through. I'm a big fan of the SA (my first guitar) but it would just lack the thickness to match the tone of Santana's early Yamaha models and the pickups really aren't up to scratch when compared to a PRS. In short you can't but i suggest you look in the Guitar Gear and Accessories section and search for Santana tone. There's a sticky in there where people have written in with various tones they've found and there's a lot of good advice in there
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavnofingrprnt
well there are only three true people alive today who are actually possesed by satan

Dakota Fanning, the kfc general dude, and my neighbor and all of them dont have much musical ability
Quote by Joycey
Heh, he often goes live with a simple Custom 22 such is his love for PRS (I burn for those guitars). I guess little things like adjust your tone on your guitar to about 3/4 of max. On Smooth he plays with a wah using it as a filter i.e. fully extended, the whole way through. I'm a big fan of the SA (my first guitar) but it would just lack the thickness to match the tone of Santana's early Yamaha models and the pickups really aren't up to scratch when compared to a PRS. In short you can't but i suggest you look in the Guitar Gear and Accessories section and search for Santana tone. There's a sticky in there where people have written in with various tones they've found and there's a lot of good advice in there

Thanks man will do
Quote by unionx
i didn't say like the exact i just wanted a decent santana style sound on my insane channel

why would you try to get that tone on the "insane" channel
you will never get that sound on the insane channel, i would recommend using the metal channel with gain at about 1/10 and lots of mids
Gear:
Carvin Bolt-T -> Line 6 DL-4 -> Danelectro Fish and Chips -> Homemade Fuzz -> Epiphone Valve Junior Combo -> Amplitube and Guitar Rig.
What era sound are we talking? His tone changes tremendously.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by Keef-is-king
Best way to get a santana tone is to study under santana for 16 years.

His tone is all in his hands, he could play any guitar with a tone knob and sound like Santana through any settup.

+111111111111111

Listen to Black Magic Woman, and tell me that that tone isn't all in his fingers.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
For his most recognizable tone, try a PRS or a Les Paul w/ neck 'bucker, and a Mesa Mark series. Trust me, to get his sound, you NEED that gear.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
I've got PodXT Live, some Skullcandy headphones and a G&L ASAT custom, with a Dimarzio EJ in the neck. The way I pull the "Santana" tone with that, is just with any 4X12 in there really, and an "Insane" head model. Roll on just the neckpup, parrell wiring and with the tone rolled back a bit.

With my other guitar, Gibson X-Plorer studio (the one with humbuckers, not the minis.) I just go neckbucker, full blast same settings and I can mirror it about spot on.

I think it helps that the X-plorer is yellow.
it has been said, and i guess you know, but.....use the neck pu and roll the tone down some. he has played various guitars, and he always has a distinct tone. so a lot of it is him.....