So i've been doing some research into building a driver for an infinite sustain system on my strat and I have a question. I found a really helpful link that shows how to build the driver from simple stuff you can find around the house. But I was wondering, since the driver is very similar to a pickup anyways, can you just use a single coil pickup and convert that to a driver?

I have a "CMOY" audio amplifier I built, and I was wondering if I could just take the output from one pickup in the guitar, route that through the amplifier and send the beefed up signal to my neck pup. Would that act as a driver, or could I mess up my pup? I don't know alot about electronics so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. the CMOY amp is really simple to make and works great, if you hadn't heard of it.
Quote by Will_Minus

I'd seen that picture, but it doesn't mean a whole lot to me. What is the piezo speaker? Does it cause sustain because it actually applies sound waves to the string that make it vibrate, or does it use a magnetic field to vibrate the strings?

Basically, I need to know if I could hurt a single coil pickup by sending a large current through it. The current would be the output signal from the bridge pickup sent through the cmoy op-amp. Also, would converting a single coil to a driver be as good as building a driver from scratch? And how would I send part of the signal from the bridge pup to the amp, and part of it to the sustainer?
Honestly, I have no idea. I've jsut seen that picture before, and thought it may help you.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by flashbandit
I'd seen that picture, but it doesn't mean a whole lot to me. What is the piezo speaker? Does it cause sustain because it actually applies sound waves to the string that make it vibrate, or does it use a magnetic field to vibrate the strings?

Basically, I need to know if I could hurt a single coil pickup by sending a large current through it. The current would be the output signal from the bridge pickup sent through the cmoy op-amp. Also, would converting a single coil to a driver be as good as building a driver from scratch? And how would I send part of the signal from the bridge pup to the amp, and part of it to the sustainer?

have you looked into the Sustainer thread on the PG forums? That's probably your best bet.

As far as looking electricity through your pickup... Wouldn't that destroy its' worth as a pickup? Consider that a pickup works by generating small amounts of electricity. I don't think anything so dramatic as an exploding pickup would happen... But it would probably get really hot and maybe start smoking, kind of thing.

This is the thread, by the way: http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=16984