How fast can you play the pentatonic scale in BPM? I am just learning to play, what should be a good speed to shoot for if I want to play metal. I am playing with a metranome trying to build speed and I was wondering where I sould stop driving my self insane trying to get faster. Where is fast enoough? So I can focus on something else.

I know the faster the better but I am looking on imporving my speed but I want to focus on other skills too.
not sure about how fast, but you should also practice the chromatic scale because it uses all 4 fingers and builds strength and muscle memory in your hand.
Quote by Immortal_Hero
That was helpful how?

it wasnt
just funny
You're better off learning to play relaxed and slowly. The speed will come if you practice
right. In general, if you just keep pushing speed practice your playing will suffer.

Also, the usual way people play the pentatonic scale, using the 2 notes per string
fingering, is actually harder to do than say the major scale. You really have to be
good at picking across string changes to play fast. There's other ways of playing
pentatonic that's super fast, but that's more advanced stuff.

You often hear pros say "Play from the string". That's really a big clue to playing fast.
When you realize what that means, you'll be on to something.
Well, with eighth notes and using just downpicking for every note, I can cleanly play 6 2/3 nps, or at 200 bpm.

Using legato, I can cleanly play 7.7 nps, or at 230 bpm.

You should be able to beat that.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Not that I am pushing my speed to much I just need to work on keeping time. That and build up finger strength. I don't know how much metal I will be playing but speed never hurts right!?! I only try to go faster when I can play it clean if I am not playing it clean I slow down.
I'm still trying to recover from "The faster the better, right?" Ah Grasshopper, one day you shall learn......
Me, personally I can play it at sixteenth notes at 150 bpm, maybe with an odd mistake.

Speed is useless (without creativity).
R E G G A E
Wel i can play it legato in 16th notes at around mmm 170 bpm.

Its all about practice, and there is no over the top speed you play as fast as you want.
Just like blues players play as slow as they want (J/K )
It doesn't matter - you're never going to simply shred through the pentatonic minor pattern in a solo, unless you want to play an incredibly lame solo. Concentrate on learning how you can use the notes contained in the scale, rather than the scale itself.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
It doesn't matter - you're never going to simply shred through the pentatonic minor pattern in a solo, unless you want to play an incredibly lame solo. Concentrate on learning how you can use the notes contained in the scale, rather than the scale itself.

I know that but I am learning technique first. I am not applying creativity yet, learning the basics so I have a bed of skills to build off of. I am just practicing scales to build finger strength and picking ability.
You're doing it back to front mate! The speed develops naturally over time, you can still play a good metal solo slowly, but before learning how to play "metal" solos you need to simply learn how to solo. Not only that, you need to know how to identify what you're soloing over, so that means knowing about chords and rhythm stuff. Attempting to shred through the pentatonic minor is a pretty pointless exercise at this stage in your playing, just concentrate on the basics and let your skills develop naturally.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well that is not what my instructor is suggesting...

Can play it pretty well (100% cortrect 85% of the time) at 150 BPM alt picking it after playing guitar for 2 weeks.

My instructor wants me to do the following to practice: chords, penationic scale, major scale, minor scale, natural harmonics, power chords, bends (1/4, 1/2 and full), verbrato, and trills. This is after 2 one hour lessons.
Last edited by Immortal_Hero at Mar 17, 2007,