I have a Les Paul standard and a standard strat.

Both necks work perfectly for me.
Quote by Shib

The internet: Men are men, women are men and little girls are FBI agents.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
Yes, but it's also wider, so it gives you the feeling that its thinner.

Les Paul is wider correct
Well I need a wide neck les paul, otherwise my fingers bump into the neighboring strings, so I was wondering about strats.
Depends on what Les Paul and Strat Model you're comparing. I know guys who have strat necks that are fatter and wider than my paul.
And your fingers are gonna bump into the neighboring strings anyway - work on your technique. A new guitar isn't going to fix that problem.
Quote by ohmerrymayhem
And your fingers are gonna bump into the neighboring strings anyway - work on your technique. A new guitar isn't going to fix that problem.

My fingers had no problem with a wide neck. I have large hands dude. If my finger is thicker then the space inbetween the strings, no amount of practice is gonna let me morph my shape.
Quote by ohmerrymayhem
Depends on what Les Paul and Strat Model you're comparing. I know guys who have strat necks that are fatter and wider than my paul.

^^Exactly, but in general srats do tend to be thinner. I agree with the post about wider necks though, after always playing guitars with 43mm nuts, it takes me while to get the feel of a 42mm nut guitar.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

I'd suggest threadstarter that you check out a strat with a soft V neck.
Gear: Yamaha AES 620 Equipped with SD JB+APH-1
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Equipped with BKP Mothers Milk
Fender Pro Jr., Traynor YCV 50, Diamond J-Drive MK3, Fulltone 70's Fuzz, Teese RMC Wizard Wah, Boss dd-3, Boss CE-5, Korg DT-10 pedal tuner.
Quote by sashki
Does 1mm really make THAT much of a difference?

It may not look like much but you can definately feel it. My cheap strat copy is probably around 41-42mm at the nut, and when I played a Fender at a store it felt much wider.
Yes, i find playing either neck is fine apart from open chords. Then my fingers don't seem to land on the strings correctly like they do on a 43mm guitar. When trying new guitars you should be able to feel straight away which width the neck is. Personally i like ibanez and prs necks, both are wide, but ibanez's are also very thin as well.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22

Quote by Immortal_Hero
Les Paul is wider correct

from my experiences with my squier and epiphones, no, LP necks are shorter.
Dickless.
Quote by Pete Griffin
Yes, i find playing either neck is fine apart from open chords. Then my fingers don't seem to land on the strings correctly like they do on a 43mm guitar. When trying new guitars you should be able to feel straight away which width the neck is. Personally i like ibanez and prs necks, both are wide, but ibanez's are also very thin as well.

The thing is, I'm looking into getting a Les Paul right now. But when I tried the one at the store, I kept bumping my fingers, and I could never imagine doing that string bending thing, there's just not enough room. so I tried an acoustic which I was told has the same neck width as a electric wide neck, and it felt much more comfortable.

But the thing is, I'm not sure if it's the fact that I've only held like, 3 guitars for a total of 4 mins, so my technique is non-existent, or if I actually do need a wide neck.
SG's that I've tried had very wide necks.
Gear: Yamaha AES 620 Equipped with SD JB+APH-1
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Equipped with BKP Mothers Milk
Fender Pro Jr., Traynor YCV 50, Diamond J-Drive MK3, Fulltone 70's Fuzz, Teese RMC Wizard Wah, Boss dd-3, Boss CE-5, Korg DT-10 pedal tuner.
*sigh* I'm gonna try and deal with the normal LP neck. That's what this thread was really created for and all.

Hopefully with some practice, I won't keep bumping strings. Hopefully.
I had an Agile AL2000 at one point. It had a fairly thick rounded C-Shaped neck. Thicker than standard strat neck or a gibson "60's slim taper" for sure, somewhat similar to a "50's neck."

As far as bending, chords, etc, fenders typically have a smaller neck radius in general (feels rounder) which makes chords easier. That isn't to say chords are hard to play on a gibson style guitar as things like fretwire also come into play.
he's just barreing across a few notes with 1 finger in some of the chords.
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22

Quote by Symphonic Waves
My fingers had no problem with a wide neck. I have large hands dude. If my finger is thicker then the space inbetween the strings, no amount of practice is gonna let me morph my shape.

You said later on that you have to start playing yet - so let me tell you this. After playing your first few months a cool amount of corrosion (or whatever the english word is for 'eelt' =P) will have stacked up on your fingertips which will allow you perfect playing.

If you want to know, low action on your guitar could help as well (meaning the strings will be closer to the fretboard, and since your finger is smaller at the very top than below, this is benefitial).
I find fender necks quite fat tbh. My jag is 41mm at the nut.
The standard fender strats are 42 mm. It makes an absoloute world of difference, MIM strat necks feel like bricks to me. Also the fingerboard edges aren't rolled.
So if I get a strat it'll have to be a G&L. Much comfier.
Quote by Symphonic Waves

Morph your shape? Man, that's not the point - the point is learning to better use your big ass hands. And the 1mm difference in neck widths does not erase your big ass fingers. Stop looking for shortcuts and put in the work.
Depends on the year of the strat, but generally speaking, yeah
ZZZOMG!!!
FUZION

Quote by jimmy, the one
I haven't played anything except Master of puppets by Metallica
They're death metal arent they?

{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-
O RLY?
Quote by ohmerrymayhem

Unless you buy a classical guitar. Those have some wide necks.\
My friend's dad has a real nice classical but also has a Squier strat, and he wonders why he bought the strat becuase he only can play the classical due to its wider neck and huge fingers. Well, he can play both but I'd reckon it's much esier with the wider neck, and the fact that he's not playing blues but classical or whatever... on the classical acoustic guitar.,............. rambling..
Last edited by RPGoof at Mar 18, 2007,
Quote by ohmerrymayhem
Morph your shape? Man, that's not the point - the point is learning to better use your big ass hands. And the 1mm difference in neck widths does not erase your big ass fingers. Stop looking for shortcuts and put in the work.

^definitely, and check out this guys big fingers fly- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9imuLRcCEI
If his fingers can do that so can yours, just practice
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...