(yes, i know i've been asking a lot of questions lately, don't flame me for that) okay, so. i am having a big problem visualizing the major scale on more than one string. i could just find the patterns somewhere and beat myself senseless memorizing them, but if someone could explain, or post a good website that explains how this works, i would really really appreciate it.
you got soul, or so you say. hey, i say you don't!

Quote by Sol9989
Think about the intervals between them

C D E F G A B C
whole whole half whole whole whole half

Of course it works for any key, but they'll be the same intervals of whole steps (2 frets) and half steps (1 fret).
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
Quote by Clandestine1
i could just find the patterns somewhere and beat myself senseless memorizing them, but if someone could explain, or post a good website that explains how this works, i would really really appreciate it.

Jeez. Beat yourself senseless?!

The scale formula is good to know, but that doesn't really help your improv much.
At some point you gotta memorize the basic finger positions. That's generally 5 - 7
different patterns which I think you can easily memorize in a couple of practice sessions
of a couple of hours, or spread out over a week. Tops. If you'd call that amount of nobrainer work beating yourself senseless, your future prospects aren't looking all
that great because that's just a small first step.
Quote by edg
Jeez. Beat yourself senseless?!

The scale formula is good to know, but that doesn't really help your improv much.
At some point you gotta memorize the basic finger positions. That's generally 5 - 7
different patterns which I think you can easily memorize in a couple of practice sessions
of a couple of hours, or spread out over a week. Tops. If you'd call that amount of nobrainer work beating yourself senseless, your future prospects aren't looking all
that great because that's just a small first step.

okay you're right, I'm overreacting a little. the point is I tried just memorizing those patterns before and they never stuck because I had no idea why they were the way they were. if I knew that, I think it would really help.
you got soul, or so you say. hey, i say you don't!

Quote by Sol9989
try instead of looking at the guitar as a a big scale of one string, Use all strings and focus withing 5-6 frets, This might give you a better thought process in order to remember progressions and chords, well it helped me when i was learning.
once you learn the 5 patterns you can tie them together into one big scale.
5 patterns? Unless you are doing 4 notes per string or something that doesn't make sense
1)-----------x-----x--x-------
2)-----------x-----x--x-------
3)--------x--x-----x----------
4)--------x--x-----x----------
5)-----x-----x-----x----------
6)-----x-----x-----x----------
(fret) (fret)

ya thats the main and basic shape for a major scale i forget the step and half step orders. btw i also try to see scales in a visual way but it's better if you try to learn it in theory and by ear so it'll be aesier in the long run thats what i did.
Last edited by sandmanshredder at Mar 17, 2007,
Just keep practing all the modes in C, starting with C ionian, of course, then moving to D dorian, etc.

just do them all, 30 minutes a day. after time youll be able to look down at your fretboard and pretty much see all the scales, its quite cool. then after a while practice in different keys.