Page 1 of 2
2 years. but now ive got it i can dial it into any amp in a matter of seconds
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I've got one I like but it's too generic (a bit of a mid scoop) so I plan to spend just one day to find one I really like. My bass has several pup options so I can easily get different tones out of that.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
it took me 3 years of playing bass to get what i wanted, that entitled getting a warwick and a g-k 1/2 stack

i also play my own style
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Last edited by Drmckool at Mar 16, 2007,
still not quite got it.
Member of the Morley PWB Owners Club. PM mountaindew88 to join.
Mines Uber gain tubetasticness.

And i found it in a year
Quote by andyd93
You sir, are correct.
It changes all the time, depending on how I feel, so I guess you could say never? But the tone I use most often I figured out soon after I got my Fender MIM J.
3 months, 13 days, 2 hours, and 43 seconds.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
^to bassistgal youre just guessing the hours and seconds arent you?
Last edited by Rockman4 at Mar 16, 2007,
I don't have a tone. I switch it up because my band never plays any consistent style that one setting would do good in. Although with that said I really like playing Mids all the way His Lows all gone and tone knob rolled off.
I'm atonal. :P

No, seriously its a ongoing zen like process towards ultimate perfection that is about 1/2 there. Its a work in progress, and progress is slow. Right now I hate my bass playing, so its going verrrrrrry slowwwwwwly.
Whenever I reach my "ideal tone", my ideal tone changes, and the tone I'm using becomes strange and frightening to me.

In short, I think I'm screwed unless I miraculously stumble across Tim C.'s tone from Evil Empire.

...Nuts.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
It's taken me four years to realise I haven't foung the tone I want... and it's gonna take many more years. I'm constantly changing my tone... I'll even run up to my amp during a song and change my amp settings on it during a gig, lol... I really should invest in an EQ pedal.
I just turn the Bass and Hi on my amp to full, and the Mids on 0.

Then I use the 4-band EQ on my bass to get the tone i want.
Quote by Rockman4
^to bassistgal youre just guessing the hours and seconds arent you?

And the days

But yeah, it took me around 3 and a half months, i were lucky to stumble upon it soon enough.

By the way, I got 6 different tones, and i found all of them around the same time, i switch between all of them depending on my moom and the song im playing.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
I switch my tone depending on what we are playing, but I'm using a behringer so no chance of me finding my ideal tone just yet
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I use a Yorkville amp with a 210*115 cab and an Ibanez PD7 to get my siganture tone. Its got a distorted growl *drools*. The settings are drive 10 o clock, Bass 2 o clock, treble full, level full, on the amp Bass and Treble on Max, and a little bit of low mids, Parametric mids, and hog mids; Around 9 o clock. I use a RUssian Big Muff for fuzz too.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
4.5 yrs on Bass
5 on Electric - light flanging and heavy mid boost distortion
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
Not sure, I don't know that much about my equalizer on my amp to get an accurate tone. I can get a good idea of what I want to change to for a certain sound though.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
to long.Stil dont hav it i hav a shitty ass amp
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
i may be a guitarist...

but.

ive been playing for a year and im still using angus' settings, trying to tweak it till its my own.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It's taken me four years to realise I haven't foung the tone I want... and it's gonna take many more years. I'm constantly changing my tone... I'll even run up to my amp during a song and change my amp settings on it during a gig, lol... I really should invest in an EQ pedal.

Ya, im in the same boat as you, ive been playing for 4 years and im always changing my tone, although not midsong.
Quote by Pink_Floyd89
Hey baby, is that a mirror in your pocket or am I stabbing you repeatedly in the face?

The Slick Fingers of the Bass Malitia, PM IndieMetalHead to join

You don't own shit.
I'm still not done futzing around with knobs. I can hear the tone in my head, but not coming from my amp. My bass itself sounds like I want it to, but it just doesn't come thru the amp like I want it to. And as far as distortion, I heard the tone I wanted as soon as I plugged in a Fulltone Bass Drive (and cranked everything).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
After...I don't know, a few years, I still haven't found it.

I'm pretty close for my distorted tone and clean, but I'm trying to make it so my speakers don't crap out on me on the low notes, hopefully switching out the 2x10 to a 1x15 will help with that. I have a bit of speaker fart I need to elminate and the compressor just can't do it alone.

Looking for a 4x10 with a little more low end too, thinking about switching from my Mag 4x10 to a Carvin BR 4x10, 800w handling, it's basically the same dimensions as my Ashdown except it is physically deeper. I found that my GK 2x10 has more bass then my 4x10, I'm assuming because it's a deeper cabinet.

And I'm deciding on whether I should get a 1x15 or 1x18. Most likely the 15" though. I don't want the low end to drown out the 4x10's punch. That will probably wait until I get a larger vehicle anyway. It's tough fitting on a full stack, bass, head, box of goodies and more inside a 1991 Honda Prelude Si.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
I'm perfectly happy with just my Ibanez through my Ashdown with the EQ bypassed. If I have a tone that's it.

That's not to say I don't like a good fuzz, OD or using my 5er. However if I had to just pick one sound that would be it.
I can't get mine till I purchase a Rickenbacker and Ampeg SVT.
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
When you have a Bongo 4 HHp with an 18V preamp its easier said than done...

Personally I don't think a bass player can stick to a single tone to be fully proficient or original for that matter. I am always tweeking my Bongo's EQ and rarely mess around with my amp (keep all settings flat) but to find the perfect tone for a piece or a genre is a quest... a long quest.
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Last edited by RIC4003 at Mar 18, 2007,
well my band has been messing with 1 style of music lately, so my tone for these songs are pretty consistant.

it took me about a year into playing bass to find it.

the funny thing is without the pedals in my effects chain WITHOUT true bypass my tone wouldnt exist.

true bypass is over rated.
*sigh* silly bassit, a mono tone is for guitarist!

The closest thing I have to a "signature sound" is a dualamp setup, one blasting gainy highs, and the other blasting soft lows. Besides that, I **** with the setting on my Bass all the time, I take atleast two Basses with me to every gig, and I switch em out constantly. I use chorus, wah as a tone box, distortion, different volume levels, and hell, when I feel I really need it, I just turn off one amp or the other!

My philosophy is like this. Most musicans in general (not just bassist) have a set idea of "WHAT MUSIC SHOULD SOUND LIKE", and that in itself is wrong. There is no right or wrong way with music. GOOD Music is 100% feeling, where the very way the instrument is played changes constantly depending on the song.
Well, I personally want to have a signature tone. Whenever I hear a bridge pickup fretless growl, I immediately think Jaco. That's what I want to have happen to me when I eventually take over the world.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Mine changes based on what I'm playing, but mostly I use either standard slap settings (lots of hi and low, few mids) or my semi-RATM distortion (DS-1 with batteries dead enough not to light the LED but still provide distortion, few his, lots of lows and mids).
-PLAIDOCASTER
-Ibanez Iceman Bass (Sunburst)
-Nonack Special Mk. II (Blood Red Mahogany/ Natural Binding)
-Fretless Soundgear (Color Shift Purple/Blue/Red/Orange)
-Pearl Export 5 pc. Drumset (Black)
It took me about a year and a half to get the basic idea of my tone. I'm really picky so i'm always tweaking it a bit.
a year and a half. can't do it with out my compressor
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Page 1 of 2