Page 1 of 2
Hey . Ive been playin guitar for a while and taught myself. Im considering takin up bass but im wonderin is possible to get really good on my own and how hard is it compared to acoustic guitar.
Damien Rice === Legend
No bassist will ever tell you bass is easier than guitar.

Hell, most bassists like to think that bass is harder than guitar.

...and I shall keep silent.
It's hard for different reasons than guitar. I play guitar and it's basically rhythm guitar or lead, but either way it's always really prominent.

Bass I think is more accenting what a guitarist is doing, and occasionally the rare bass solo. Anyone can pick up a bass and plunk a few notes down, but just like guitar you have to practice to ever sound good.

The original bassist for the Beatles, Stuart Sutcliffe, never got it together. He sucked even after playing with the Beatles for a bunch of their early gigs, and was always off. Basically, it isn't just pick up and play, it's probably about as hard as guitar to really get good at.
Quote by Ellron
Masterbate to her image then tell her about it...Then you will have to forget about her.

Quote by unplugtheradio
im gonna go tell my friends that if i die i want a myspace bulletin about me.
bass is pretty much simplified guitar with bigger frets. if you can play guitar you can ultimately figure out bass rather easily. But if you play bass its harder to learn the guitar but still easier than never having played one.
Quote by DispsablePuppet
bass is pretty much simplified guitar with bigger frets. if you can play guitar you can ultimately figure out bass rather easily. But if you play bass its harder to learn the guitar but still easier than never having played one.

You my friend have no idea what your talking about.
It may look the same but they are totally different instruments.
To begin with they are pretty easy, but when you get to the crazy techniques eg double/triple thumping and tapping it gets idiotically hard.
Bass and Guitar share some similar theory and playing skills eg freting and scales

so knowing one will help the other

yet both are hard in different ways

but both easy if all you want to do is root bash a 3 chord song or power chord it !!!
are most of you from the guitar forum? jesus.... bass is NOT easy to learn, it is NOT a simplified guitar with bigger frets. I know many guitarists who have no idea how to play the bass. It isn't about accenting the guitar, it's about keeping the whole band together.. and rare bass solos? Most of my lines I play in my band, rip away the guitars and vocals, could well be bass solos...

And I started playing bass first, and found NO problem with learning how to play guitar... hell, I'm just as good a guitarist in 2 years than I am a bassist in 4.
First off, most of the people here who have said things like bass being easier are not from this board so WTF do you know about bass? Bass is a whole different intrument. different styles, and different roles. If your just going to play bass like you would guitar then I would think it would be equally hard in different ways. If you want to play bass like a bass then you have a long road ahead of you.

Also, I don't know why you want to play bass but no matter what, play it because you want to.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Easy to learn the basics.

Hard to master.
VERY HARD!

But very rewarding. It's so much fun, I get bowed over by it at times
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Its easier to pick a bass with limited knowledge and be marginally competent, yes. However, good bassists are in much higher demand than a good guitarist. There are so many subtle things you have to worry about as a bass player to keep the band together. Summary: Bass is easier to learn at first, but harder to master in the end.

EDIT: Why are there so many people who don't play bass answering this thread?
Contrary to what people may tell you, bass is just as hard, if not harder than guitar. Having experience on the guitar will help you when playing bass, but don't think it's going to be much easier than learning to play your guitar.
Quote by Nutter_101
Easy to learn the basics.

Hard to master.
VERY HARD!

But very rewarding. It's so much fun, I get bowed over by it at times

x2, it is easier to pick up a bass and just play a root note bass line, but to get to a high standard it takes A LOT more practice than it would with guitar
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
lol am I the only one that read the question right? He asked if bass is easier to LEARN :P

The BASIC concepts are fairly easy, but it gets harder from there on out.
yeah sure, playing whole root notes is technically playing bass, and it's better than nothing. So it can be easy to learn. But it will be hollow and boring.

Playing bass is easy, playing bass good is hard, playing bass great is damn near impossible for most people. If you want easy play the radio.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Quote by fsb_ben
Bass is much easier to learn relative to guitar. [/thread]

*Sigh*

I'll take a wil guess that you're not a bassist?
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
t obe a crappy player it's easy to be good it's much more dificult then a guitar
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
That's the kinda come back that should be accompanied by a unimpressed sigh.

If you're a bass player deep down, you'll find bass easier than guitar. If you are a guitar player deep down, you'll find guitar easier.

If you can play banjo well, then you pwn...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
You'll have better left hand finger dexterity and strength as opposed to someone who has never played a string instrument before but knowing guitar won't make you a great bassist.
Schecter C-1 Classic
Seagull S6
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Epiphone Valve Junior Combo
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Just had to throw that in there didn't you?

no one had yet, but you know i've actually found the bass fairly easy to play and the difficulty i face in it is inevitably accompanied by pride when i overcome it
I shot JR

Quote by BassistGal
*Sigh*

I'll take a wil guess that you're not a bassist?

Look at the bass tabs and then look at the guitar tabs. Honestly, how hard is it to learn to play something like:

1-1-1-1-1-4-4-4-4-4-6-6-6-6-6-1-1-1-1-1

Easy as shit.

May I remind you, the question is pertaining to LEARNING and not MASTERING.
touche, but to me learnign means attempting to master.sure bass is easy to pick up but it becomes quite comple when you move beyond root notes
I shot JR

yes you are absolutely right it is alot easier to hold down one fret at a time. however i attempt to master as much as possible so i aquate learn to master. my mistake

however, moving beyond roots is a part of learnign bass
I shot JR

learning an instrument involves learning all techniques and styles open to you. If I was to relearn guitar from the beginning, me just learning how to play powerchords isn't learning how to play the guiter.

I really wish guitarists wouldn't post in these threads.

Bass isn't just a rhythm instrument. It plays also plays melodies and leads. It is also a strength instrument. It takes more strength to play the bass. You see a lot more muscly bassists than guitarists for that reason. Tapping, for example. Tapping on the bass is ten times harder than tapping on the guitar. As is string bending. You can get away with single finger bending on a guitar. To get a decent bend on the bass, I need to use 2 or 3 fingers.

Again, I wish guitarists wouldn't post in these threads.

There's a totally different approach to bass than guitar, and if you don't have that approach, it'll be damn near impossible to learn, and possibly master. Guitars can get away with playing whatever whenever. Bassists need an ear for NOT playing. Bassists also need to be able to lock into their drummer. That's part of learning. It also requires skill, patience and experience. It's something you have or you don't have, really, but you do need to work on that intial talent for playing bass.

There's no way in hell anyone can justify saying that bass is easier to learn than guitar. No way at all.
I agree with those of you that play both guitar and bass. Guitar can be harder to play than bass. Bass can be harder to play than guitar. It's ultimately up to the style that you are playing and the techniques that you are using. Sure, bass is easy as hell when you're playing simple root notes, but that's not bass as a whole. That's a bass technique. Try playing slap bass extremely quickly while it still sounds good (not saying that it's hard for everybody). I play both guitar and bass, but guitar more often, and though I'm not good at either, I definitely know how hard each can be. I'm sorry if I just rephrased a lot of the things that some of you said; I didn't read all of the posts in this thread, but I read most of them.
Last edited by ByTheWay413 at Mar 16, 2007,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
learning an instrument involves learning all techniques and styles open to you. If I was to relearn guitar from the beginning, me just learning how to play powerchords isn't learning how to play the guiter.

I really wish guitarists wouldn't post in these threads.

Bass isn't just a rhythm instrument. It plays also plays melodies and leads. It is also a strength instrument. It takes more strength to play the bass. You see a lot more muscly bassists than guitarists for that reason. Tapping, for example. Tapping on the bass is ten times harder than tapping on the guitar. As is string bending. You can get away with single finger bending on a guitar. To get a decent bend on the bass, I need to use 2 or 3 fingers.

Again, I wish guitarists wouldn't post in these threads.

There's a totally different approach to bass than guitar, and if you don't have that approach, it'll be damn near impossible to learn, and possibly master. Guitars can get away with playing whatever whenever. Bassists need an ear for NOT playing. Bassists also need to be able to lock into their drummer. That's part of learning. It also requires skill, patience and experience. It's something you have or you don't have, really, but you do need to work on that intial talent for playing bass.

There's no way in hell anyone can justify saying that bass is easier to learn than guitar. No way at all.

This might as well be paraphrased as: "It's harder to master bass than it is to start learning guitar.. and I would not like anyone who disagrees with me to post in this thread"

Sheesh.
Quote by fsb_ben
Look at the bass tabs and then look at the guitar tabs. Honestly, how hard is it to learn to play something like:

1-1-1-1-1-4-4-4-4-4-6-6-6-6-6-1-1-1-1-1

Easy as shit.

May I remind you, the question is pertaining to LEARNING and not MASTERING.

Im sry to say but wat r u learning wen u play that?Ur take something out of the blue and putting that as an example.Wy do u think bass is easier,jus cuz in some root notes r played?I find guitar eaiser cuz stamina and technique is not as important.Like say ur rythme guitarist might play some power chords every 4 5 beats while ur bass is playing some funky ass shit.Do u get the point? it comes down to bass being harder.Bass should get as much respect as guitar does along with the rest of the instruments in the group.The instrument is only as hard as u make it.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Last edited by The1bassist06 at Mar 16, 2007,
Quote by fsb_ben
This might as well be paraphrased as: "It's harder to master bass than it is to start learning guitar.. and I would not like anyone who disagrees with me to post in this thread"

Sheesh.

U jus earned urself an award for being a dumbass.Congratz on ur achievement.Hope ur happy

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
You sir are an IDIOT!

U sir jus got 496834906845685903456903478039567836 points. Congratz
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Quote by fsb_ben
Rest my point, you boys should go get a room. I find it hilarious how you people are saying "The instrument is only as hard as u make it." ... "but bass is harder"

pfff give me a break.

I dont think u get it?do u?
Quote by Damaged Roses

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Page 1 of 2