Well i was thinking, i rarely use my 1st string, so i was thinking, if i just tuned my strings like so:
5th, 4th,3rd,2nd.
would that work ok, or would it sound crappy?
Id just check n see, but i wanna make sure theres some chance of it sounding good, before trying n messing up my tuning and stuff.
it'll work. If you're making it permanant, I'd file the nut to accomodate the BEAD strings in the new positions. I used to do it with my standard EADG strings, and it sounded alright, after messing with the truss rod and bridge. Loads of people do it. However, I found that I missed the G string, so I bought a 5er.
i don't think bead is a good idea.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by Drmckool
i don't think bead is a good idea.

I don't think posting when you have nothing to contribute is a good idea.

If you're happy to have the strungs a bit slack there's no need to replace or file out the nut. Move up to a slightly thicker guage and try it out! I have used this tuning with various bass strings and never had a problem. If they feel too loose then try C F Bb Eb instead for a while and see how you like the lower tuning.
dude not cool, i was contributing i said it was not a good idea. if you wish more clarification i will oblige you and say i think that the g string is essential even if you do not use it now and i 5 string will save you grief in the long run
I shot JR

Quote by Drmckool
dude not cool, i was contributing i said it was not a good idea. if you wish more clarification i will oblige you and say i think that the g string is essential even if you do not use it now and i 5 string will save you grief in the long run

So do it in your original post, rather than post whoring.

Anyway, down-tuning to BEAD feels terrible in my opinion, even with a heavier guage the strings are too slack. It's much better to buy a 5-string set of strings and use the BEAD strings. Then you -would- have to adjust the truss rod and intonation, and file the nut slots, but it'd be worth it if you're serious about stringing your bass BEAD.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Well that's total rubbish because all you lose is the top five notes from the G anyway. I don't think anything is essential. I very rarely use tunings with an open G these days. I use 4 strings and 5 strings. If you don't need the range in one position then there's no need for five. I think it's pretty narrow minded to say that it's a bad idea with no explaination. After all, if he changes his mind he just has to tune back up.
I'd recommend BADG that way you can still use your G string should the need arise. Just use a heavier guage string instead on a E and you'll possibly need to sort out the bridge saddle and nut but it'll mean it won't be so slack as general drop B tuning would make the string.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
man y'all are hatefull. i just gave my opinion which was what was asked for and i get torn apart by self rightious people on an internet forum. dudes relax i think that an open g is necessary i don't know what style he plays but i was under the impression that he would string BEAD whihc means he'd have to do some adjustments to the neck, i thought it was a bad idea, that's my opinion. you think it's a good idea that's your's. but seriously just chill
I shot JR

I have more basses tuned B E A D than I do E A D G. It's fine. Get a set of 5 strings, and throw away the G. I swear by it and am glad I did it. I'll probably string all my fretted 4-string basses BEAD. You'll have to lower the action, play around with the intonation a bit, and PERHAPS adjust intonation, although I never had to.

Timmy C tunes that way, too. Some of Billy Sheehan's basses are tuned that way as well.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I thought Billy Sheehan swore by EADG and used neck bends and a Detuning on his E to get low B's
Quote by canadianpunk071
So do it in your original post, rather than post whoring.

Anyway, down-tuning to BEAD feels terrible in my opinion, even with a heavier guage the strings are too slack. It's much better to buy a 5-string set of strings and use the BEAD strings. Then you -would- have to adjust the truss rod and intonation, and file the nut slots, but it'd be worth it if you're serious about stringing your bass BEAD.

Yea, I've downtuned a set of 55-110's and even that was too slack for my liking, so you are better off with a proper B string.

And truss rod and intonation adjustments will be necessary even if you just downtune a normal set of strings.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
I bought a 5 string set and tuned my cort to AEAD. its ALOT easier than trying to find thicker guages around here, and alot tighter!
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by Drmckool
man y'all are hatefull. i just gave my opinion which was what was asked for and i get torn apart by self rightious people on an internet forum. dudes relax i think that an open g is necessary i don't know what style he plays but i was under the impression that he would string BEAD whihc means he'd have to do some adjustments to the neck, i thought it was a bad idea, that's my opinion. you think it's a good idea that's your's. but seriously just chill

No one was really attacking you besides the first post you made which was very vague. All your losing is 5 notes man.
well i tend to use thoe 5 notes, alot
I shot JR

Don't detune your strings you won't get as good of a sound as you would if you just bought the 4 low strings.
Quote by Drmckool
well i tend to use thoe 5 notes, alot

You use the frets 19-24 on the G string a lot?

And Billy Sheehan did swear by EADG, but check his website's gear page for some explainations.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
ya i do use those frets alot. i like sweeping solos where i play as high, as low and just every where possible
I shot JR

Interesting. I used the low D on the B string religiously, a thousand times more than I used those frets. I use those frets for farting around.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
i'd actually love a 6 string warwick for the extra 5 low frets and 5 high frets
I shot JR