Page 1 of 2
Dave293 and I are putting together the new tutorial thread for GB&C, and we need YOU! If you've got any tutorials (replacing pickups/guitar hardware, setting up your guitar correctly, etc), I'd love to have them in the final thread. Lots of pictures are almost a must to help some of the less knowledgeable members of this forum.
The easiest way to get them to me is by emailing them (preferably in a word document) to me at the_random_hero_drew@hotmail.com.
I'll be incorporating all the existing tutorials, so if you can post links to them (in case I miss a few), that'd be awesome

"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Does anyone have a link to AlGee's stenciling tutorial? the one where he put a clover on a guitar? I need that one for the refinishing thread.

I think we should make a list with wich tutorials we absolutely need and start searching for them instead of adding all tutorials we know of. (Does anyone understand what I mean??? lol)

Also, the most important thread we need is a wich wood thread, and not a thread with links to warmoth's and BC Rich's wood specs, but a serious thread wich puts the personal expirience of builders here at UG with the wood's they have used for their guitars and the tone they end up giving. That would be my idea of a perfect wood thread.

Quote by givemeaname
http://desopolis.com/midwest/index.htm put that in somewhere, might want to go to ProjectGuitar and ask the member by the name of guitarfrenzy first just to make sure its OK.

Man I had lost that website, its great, its a great resource to have, it shows the whole process of making the guitar with lots of pictures! THANKS!

Quote by dave293

Btw, who's Cordi?

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Last edited by UniverseZero at Mar 16, 2007,
Quote by UniverseZero
Does anyone have a link to AlGee's stenciling tutorial? the one where he put a clover on a guitar? I need that one for the refinishing thread.

I think we should make a list with wich tutorials we absolutely need and start searching for them instead of adding all tutorials we know of. (Does anyone understand what I mean??? lol)

Also, the most important thread we need is a wich wood thread, and not a thread with links to warmoth's and BC Rich's wood specs, but a serious thread wich puts the personal expirience of builders here at UG with the wood's they have used for their guitars and the tone they end up giving. That would be my idea of a perfect wood thread.

Btw, who's Cordi?

Chris deleted pretty much all of his threads, why i don't know.

If people suggest what tutorials need doing people will be able to make them, the point of this thread is to get some more tutorials for a thread.

The problem with a which wood thread with opinions of uger's is that only cord and ormsby guitars are pretty much the only people with the experience of building multiple guitars using the same woods to get an accurate idea of the woods influence.
Quote by dave293
The problem with a which wood thread with opinions of uger's is that only cord and ormsby guitars are pretty much the only people with the experience of building multiple guitars using the same woods to get an accurate idea of the woods influence.

Yes I know, but I find that the info on warmoth is very poor and vague... I mean, it can be used but if Cord or Ormsby make a thread themselves it would be great.

Quote by robbo_0013

Quote by spazzymagee417
I doubt either would have the time or want to.

The warmoth one is about the best your going to get, yes they may be bit vague but that's the nature of wood, it's not going to be black and white.
Quote by UniverseZero
Yes I know, but I find that the info on warmoth is very poor and vague... I mean, it can be used but if Cord or Ormsby make a thread themselves it would be great.

The whole point of this tutorial thread is to have tutorials made by UGers only, none from other websites. The wood bit is going to be included in a reference thread, which will be separate to the tutorial thread. I found quite a few sites with tonal properties of different woods, which will all be included to give a better overview
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by dave293
The warmoth one is about the best your going to get, yes they may be bit vague but that's the nature of wood, it's not going to be black and white.

Yeah, that's the thing with sound and tone, its very subjective.

Quote by robbo_0013

Quote by spazzymagee417
i would be quite happy to do a tutorial on the basics of reading schematics and what electrical components do. it seems like a lot of people starting out with pedal building and the like dont know anything about which components are which and what they do. if anyone thinks this is a good idea, i could probably write something up over the next week or so.
Quote by jof1029
i would be quite happy to do a tutorial on the basics of reading schematics and what electrical components do. it seems like a lot of people starting out with pedal building and the like dont know anything about which components are which and what they do. if anyone thinks this is a good idea, i could probably write something up over the next week or so.

I'm going to extract the best bits from lespaulmarshall's bass restoration to make a defretting guide. I'll start on that tomorrow or later tonight
^ If you do that imo your should change/add some of the directions such as using pine for the markers (i think he'd agree with me there)
Someone sent me an email asking to check this thread. Re: timber tones etc

Sorry, i cant assist. Any opinion given here will just open the usual internerd pissing contest, and i cant be bothered going down that path. There are more than enough details on the web to get a tutorial compliled by searching around, but then if its already available, whats the point?

Im happy to proof read a document for mistakes, but thats all. Sorry.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Quote by ormsby guitars
Someone sent me an email asking to check this thread. Re: timber tones etc

Sorry, i cant assist. Any opinion given here will just open the usual internerd pissing contest, and i cant be bothered going down that path. There are more than enough details on the web to get a tutorial compliled by searching around, but then if its already available, whats the point?

Im happy to proof read a document for mistakes, but thats all. Sorry.

Thanks for taking the time to post. We've already said that the wood types will go into a reference thread with offsite links, so we don't need pages of arguments.
Having said that, I do notice your post is fairly cynical. I don't think proofreading is necessary, tonal characteristics are merely opinions, and as much as you may not agree with them, it's not your place to say whether they are right or wrong.

Quote by dave293
^ If you do that imo your should change/add some of the directions such as using pine for the markers (i think he'd agree with me there)

That's a good point. I tried paddlepop sticks, wood filler and thin laminate, and I'd have to say the paddlepop sticks worked best. The wood filler tended to get clogged up and disappear as soon as I started sanding.
Last edited by the_random_hero at Mar 17, 2007,
^ I don't think thats how he meant it, just an offer to help. While there may be opinions certain woods will react in certain ways and it is possible to be wrong.

I'd think that maple veneer would be the best option for fret markers,i've heard of afew builders on the net use it with success. If I where to do a fertless that's the route i'd take. I'd imagine the paddle pop sticks would have the same problems lespaulmarshall had wil the pine. I guess i'll have to try it.
I built a ghetto talkbox that worked amazing. seems lately a lot of people have had questions about them and aren't entirely sure how to do it, especially the actual hooking of it up to the amp. I could probably do a tutorial on that pretty easily.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
I made a sticker removal tutorial that died a while back. I could kind of finish it and typ it up if you guys want.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
I think jof's idea about making a schem reading and component tutorial would be a great idea, and very useful to first time pedal makers. I look forward to seeing it when it's done
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
The schematic tutorial would be appreciated. I still have yet to finish my pedalboard tutorial, but a while back I was thinking about putting up a strat tremolo setup tutorial. I'd be happy to contribute if anyone wants it.
i could type up a 'can i add a FR to my guitar' questionnaire. lots of threads about it, could add some useful info as well. and you already have my killswitch thing.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by shredmeiser101
I built a ghetto talkbox that worked amazing. seems lately a lot of people have had questions about them and aren't entirely sure how to do it, especially the actual hooking of it up to the amp. I could probably do a tutorial on that pretty easily.

Go nuts, a talkbox tutroial would be great. I think someone else was making a talkbox tutorial sorta thing in a thread. Maybe you could put something together with him.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=539485

Quote by loonyguitarist
I think jof's idea about making a schem reading and component tutorial would be a great idea, and very useful to first time pedal makers. I look forward to seeing it when it's done

Yeah, it would be awesome if someone cooould do a sort of beginner project (like the one on DIYstompboxes) maybe something like a bazz fuss, cheap and easy to make. If no-one more experienced with pedals want to, I might do it as i've built afew pedals and i'm pretty sure i've got all the parts.

Quote by tubab0y
i could type up a 'can i add a FR to my guitar' questionnaire. lots of threads about it, could add some useful info as well. and you already have my killswitch thing.

The questionnaire sounds more like something that would go in the reference thread we are planning, since it's not really a tutorial, but it would still be useful.
Would you like me to temporarily sticky this Hero?
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by xifr
Would you like me to temporarily sticky this Hero?

I don't think it's really necessary till we get some stuff together, I'll definitely get started on it tomorrow. Kerry mentioned something about having a video on pedal building on MSN, I'll see if I could get that off him. It would help a LOT of people
to the guy who wanted talk box tutorial i can provied a new thread i have been typing up for you and also if you could post pics for me that would be good because my pc wont let me do it
Some nice tuts you have there, i'd like to see a tutorial for respraying and finishing an electric guitar.
Quote by Darren5591
Some nice tuts you have there, i'd like to see a tutorial for respraying and finishing an electric guitar.

i think a non-pro's refinishing mods like Ippon's should be included. see his awesome Petrucci/Crash paintjob here.

because he's a non-pro he calls out all the mistakes, lessons learned and other discoveries in his mod threads like the undocumented stuff about spraycan paints and how to ensure your paper stencils stick or how to avoid paint spitting etc.

imo most pros already know the stuff so they don't go into important stuff most noobs don't know and most websites don't detail the possible errors and those are exactly what beginners need to know. in short, what pros think are so obvious are not so obvious to new modders.
I want to respray my strat Daphine blue but I have no idea how, so anything with a tutorial would be appeciated.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Join the only "REAL" Stratocaster Group here

Free Fender Strat here!
Quote by Darren5591
I want to respray my strat Daphine blue but I have no idea how, so anything with a tutorial would be appeciated.

if you checked out the link i provided, you would have seen the Daphne Blue Strat in his 1st post. there's a link in his sig or go here for the Daphne Blue strat.
Saw the blue strat, i'd like to see a tutorial of just a normal respray in a single colour *preferably Daphine blue or Surf green* then the finishing.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
Quote by Darren5591
Saw the blue strat, i'd like to see a tutorial of just a normal respray in a single colour *preferably Daphine blue or Surf green* then the finishing.

holy mother of hesukristo pordios - can't you read? wtf? check the link i already provided and read the sticky!!!!!! zomg!111||!!!
yea i can try to post pics
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
While i think the idea is gr8 im affraid it all has been done before (with the best intentions ) & as Ormsby said they always end up in a pissing contest.
Having said that Im in. what do we need.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by dave293
Chris deleted pretty much all of his threads, why i don't know.

Well, he said UG was going downhill. It's a shame he deleted them, though. I had his buffing tut bookmarked. It was pretty damn informative.

EDIT: Any tutorials you guys might want me to do?
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Mar 18, 2007,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, he said UG was going downhill. It's a shame he deleted them, though. I had his buffing tut bookmarked. It was pretty damn informative.

EDIT: Any tutorials you guys might want me to do?

If there's some you reckon you could do. Dave was going to do a tutorial on replacing pickups, but that's open to you if you want. I'm still thinking of tutorials I can do with next to no tools and no soldering iron...
How about general cleaning of guitars? sounds simple but I was baffled when it came to "properly" cleaning it. Mention strings, paint, woods , hardware etc.

Sounds like a good one for the newer players.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
Page 1 of 2