Ill try to explain my question the best i can, please do your best to answer.

Heres the thing:

I want to learn to solo (improvising) on my own. I can play solos from some songs, but i cant learn theory for myself. Please, if you answer, dont direct me to a theory lesson, its to hard for me to learn. If i write a guitar riff, i know what sounds good, and i can wistle it out, but i cant convert the notes to the fretboard, does that make sense? Id like to think i have a pretty fast picking hand, and fret hand, so dont tell me to get those faster either. I am aware of economy picking and i am familiar with how to do it. Like i said, its just a matter of converting the notes from my head to the fretboard without a big time-consuming process. If any of you can help, please do.

Thanks
Some people like to put witty messages in here. This is not one.

Player of: Original Fender Stratocaster

Xbox live gamertag: FATTYCANTJUMP (add me!)
Whistle the first note while trying to play the same on your guitar. Then whistle the next note. It's probably in common scale with the first note. After a bit of practice, it's not really that hard!
when i do improvising(like 85 percent of the time) all i do is look at where i want to go and go there. if im at fret 6 low e string and i wanna get to B-15th fret i make my own route. like a bus stop route if you will.
Quote by FATTYCANTJUMP
Please, if you answer, dont direct me to a theory lesson, its to hard for me to learn.

What, WWHWWWH is too hard for you to remember? Nothing is too hard if you just do a little bit at a time.

Deadset, learning theory is the greatest tool you can have as a musician - you just need to give it a go.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Improvising, I used to have the same problem. You dont need a path. Learn an study some blues, it did me a world of good. Its all i play now. Just chuck on a CD figure out what keys the songs are in and play over it
Please, if you answer, dont direct me to a theory lesson, its to hard for me to learn

that's kind of like saying "I want to have a conversation in French, I know loads of words but don't direct me to a French lesson, that's too hard". If you want to speak something you have to learn the language....the basic theory you need for beginning improvisation isn't hard at all, just a bit about the major scale, the minor pentatonic and some chord basics.And you have to know what the notes are on the fretboard, or at least be able to work them out fairly quickly....but that's essential for playing full stop.

Improvising, I used to have the same problem. You dont need a path. Learn an study some blues, it did me a world of good. Its all i play now. Just chuck on a CD figure out what keys the songs are in and play over it

Even the simple task of figuring out what key something's in classes as theory. Learning something like the minor pentatonic helps immensely, you can work stuff out on your own but it takes an age unless you happen to be a musiocal prodigy. Everything's there written out for you, it's a bit pointless to reinvent the wheel. Having a bit of theory knowledge doesn't restrict or disadvantage you in any way, it just puts your playing in context and also how things connect. Without it everything you learn, you learn in isolation, and your overall playing knowledge never improves.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I have the same problem. Just learn and memorize what sounds good and put it together, and eventually it will sound good
SPREAD THE WORD OF PEACE
Quote by fattycantjump
Please, if you answer, dont direct me to a theory lesson, its to hard for me to learn.

Well, you have taken away my ability to answer as best I can. Leaving me with the answer of "You're being lazy."

What makes you think you are so high and mighty that you are the first to struggle with new information!? Bah, youth today.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
^bah humbug.

Learn theory, its not hard, learn the basics, move up, move up and before you know it, you're good at it.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
well when i improvise.. i see what chords are what notes i basd my riff o.. then i find those two notes on two different strings... and start at one and end at the other...

ok so lets say i make a riff in D... and then i hit a powerd chord in E to end the riif...

so i would start on the E string, 10th fret.. and work my way up to the 21, which is an e, on the g-string.... and whola.. i used some scales to get there..
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
Last edited by Guitarplaya27 at Mar 17, 2007,
Oh don't badger the kid Nightwind, he just needs a little direction. Even though you don't want to learn theory right now, I promise it will do a world of good. But it only helps if you make it work for you in the way that you want it to. I know that sounds wierd, but if you aren't making the sounds you want with a certain part of theory then a) You're either approaching it wrong or b) It just doesn't fit with the sounds you want.

I would suggest atleast look at some basic theory, we've got some great lessons on here, and if even that is too much just atleast learn the pentatonic scale so you can atleast sound okay without knowing shit about what you're doing.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
Quote by VR2005
Oh don't badger the kid Nightwind

Haha. I will admit that I am a bit of a jerk sometimes, but you try being here for four years and seeing these threads almost daily and not getting a little cynical. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE.

Even worse -

It's like, the cure to the disease is in plain sight, but the patient doesn't want to buy it. The patient also doesn't want to be sick. Sir, you can have your cake and eat it too, but it's not free.

Even worse!!! -

The search button. The cure to 100 overdone threads, lies but a swift mouse movement away. But no! NO YOU SAY, YOU DON'T NNNNNEEEEEEEED IT. IN FACT, YOU WOULD MUCH PREFER TO NEGLECT WHAT IS GOOD FOR YOU TENFOLD!

Sigh.

Plus, JohnlJones just beat me at checkers and I'm pissed.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
If it's not worth it to you to learn theory, you should really examine how important it is for you to play guitar.
I understand Nightwind, I imagine it does get very annoying. But hey we all know you do your job well and we're greatful for it. So thank you Nightwind for all you've done.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
Last edited by VR2005 at Mar 17, 2007,