Page 1 of 2
well, as the title says

how would you describe your playing style? simplistic? complex? unorthodox?
personally i prefer to not stick to one scale, i prefer to use maybe 4/5 different scales
Quote by Jaffaps2
It's meant to reflect Clapton's career, starts off good but then turns into a piece of shit.

The Lord has done mighty things with his right hand
Psalms chapter 118, verse 12
unorthodox, definitely. I like to use very exotic skills with a weird sweeping technique, think Marty Friedman.
Dickless.
Inconsistant and erratic.*

Read: Bad.
Zeppelinism Extremist, PM TheHeartbreaker to join

...and the victim screameth, saying "Hast thou not heard of elastoplast?!"
i built mine off of dimes
some techniques are the same, but im trying to get into alternate picking more
and also sweep picking, not sure if dime could sweep
also i use triplets a lot like slayer
Crappy and no technique whatsoever
OAKLAND A's - 9 TIME CHAMPS!!

DUKE BLUE DEVILS - 4 TIME CHAMPS & 19 TIME ACC CHAMPS!!

OAKLAND RAIDERS - 4 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS - 3 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

SAN JOSE SHARKS - NONE LOL!!
Groovy
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
I play alot of funk now, in my new band. Im getting a really good feel for it too. Also im heavily influenced by Jonny Greenwood so you'll see alot of tremolo picking and dissonance in my playing! Also i think I get alot of feel out of the instrument - which I can't say alot of my friends do (damn metalhead or just plain rubbish!) Bad things would be that I cant change between note awfully quickly, so I hammer on and pull off alot. And I need to learn more theory.
Gonna jump on the crappy bandwagon.
Praise be unto You,
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Creator of all

Stripper factories
And beer volcanoes await
In the afterlife
RAmen
i like chunky rifs mixed with melodic chords (usually octave chords)

and i like fast riffs usually based around Dm or Am
loud rock n roll music at a funky fast paced beat.

if you wanted to be a blues/rock/jam guitarist, i'd be your hero. and i'm not bragging. it's not bragging if you're really that good. haha.
Quote by AdayTripper
I don't want to ****ing be known as the guy who **** himself while his whole family came over. It just happened.

Quote by SonOfOsiris
how far would you go with a boy/girl to be able to say to someone "Im am not a virgin!"

????
erm..I use a lot of blues licks with chromatics thrown in...kind of chaotic I guess, think a less talented and less shreddy and technical kind of Chris Poland.
Brad Delp - June 12, 1951 to March 9, 2007 R.I.P
and the dude that was talking about "needing to get into alternate picking more", if you can't alternate pick, you're definently not very far in the game. keep going. learn to alternate pick. makes your playing sound much smoother. and you can play faster.
Quote by AdayTripper
I don't want to ****ing be known as the guy who **** himself while his whole family came over. It just happened.

Quote by SonOfOsiris
how far would you go with a boy/girl to be able to say to someone "Im am not a virgin!"

????
Kind of mix between Neil Young and SRV. The blues influence with the um..."unique" (don't want to say bad or sloppy) Young style.
Somewhat simplistic, with occasional spikes in the difficulty. For some reason it just works. I also like the occasional odd note pattern, in the likes of Modest Mouse type stuff.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
fast, but with emphasis on note choice and melody. Alex skolnick/not quite as good as marty friedman style
Not being harsh here, but how the hell does alternate picking make your playing 'smoother' ? If anything it makes it much more percussive and gives you less scope for accents, than playing the same pattern with legato.
i pretend i'm having sex with my instrument. oh, wait, forget pretend
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
The Special Ed kid of the bass militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join

Quote by fourstringpunk
She looks like an STD vending machine.
Minimalistic, pseudo-blues. I'm a rhythm guitarist, so my technique is more on strum patterns and creative use of empty space. I like to believe i ephasize my lead guitarist very well.

~Dan
I have some cool little riffs and then just a nice little chord progression,

I like to give my songs a lot of different parts. like my current song i'm working on has

Intro
Verse
Intro
Verse
GuitarBridge
BassBridge
Intro
Intro
Verse
ending

And I want to put a bass solo/drum thing in right after the bass bridge. There's also going to be a trumpet part. It's a swing song.

If you're talking about just jamming, I don't know, I've never just jammed on guitar. Only on drums.
Save a drum, Bang a drummer!

Quote by Dragatear
You guys are REALLY strict. Worse than neopets.

Quote by Tyler Wright
cokesodanotdrug, your a bitch.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
unorthodox, definitely. I like to use very exotic skills with a weird sweeping technique, think Marty Friedman.

I idolise him
off the top of his head he knew about 25 different scales and was able to play them smoothly
the man is a god
Quote by Jaffaps2
It's meant to reflect Clapton's career, starts off good but then turns into a piece of shit.

The Lord has done mighty things with his right hand
Psalms chapter 118, verse 12
Lots and lots of improv. I'm seriously ADD with my playing, I like the music to be coming from my soul and not my memory, so when I write a song or learn a song I only bother to remember/write the concept of the peice, and not neccisarily note for note.

And I try to be unique, what's been done has been done, to do it again would be redundant, I wan't what works for me, not what worked for Satriani or Claypool.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Id say complex, probably. I play metal, but strict and structured metal, so more like classical music than like early metal. I allways concentrate on getting my chords exactly on the semiquaver or semidemiquaver, and I do a lot of rapid fire power chords, kind of like scar symmetry.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
unorthodox i find myself playing a bunch of crap in mixolydian and lydian a lot with a lot of octave chords with open strings in them with a lot of really really fast runs and stuff
but its not what ud expect
Quote by MightyAl
The best way to approach a group of girls is wearing a dirty old trenchcoat with nothing underneath. Open it in slow motion, while making your 'orgasm face', and then run like hell.

]
Last edited by guitar guy 6006 at Mar 17, 2007,
I dunno. Weird I guess. Well, people tell me they've never seen anyone play like me....and that's in no way me bragging.

When I play heavy, the tone I go for is always as twangy, high and shrill as I can get and I always ALWAYS play single notes. I hate playing chords when I'm playing heavy. As long as I'm just playing the root note of a chord, I get what I want.

But I don't like playing heavy normally. In that case, just whatever sounds good.

Also, I hate solos.
Poor advice.
My rythm sounds similar to Metallicas rythm work, with loads of palm muting and power chords, and my solos are a mix of Dimebag, Zakk Wylde and Jimi Hendrix.
My current rig:
Samick Strat
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox DA-5
Samick 80 watts amp (Doesn't sound good though)
Zoom 505
Boss DS-2
:stickpoke
Well, I'm at a stage where I play a good amount of Pentatonic to get used to it, and I bend alot with my index finger. I hammer-on, and pull-of as often as I bend, and try to slide into some notes sometimes, to make it seem less repetitive. Other than that... I don't play too fast, I'm working on my alternate picking right now, so I kinda try to play slower bluesy rock.

So, simplistic.
Fluent like Jozé Gonzales, licks like John Frusciante and creative (but not in a bad way).
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by magnus_maximus
Like sex; Fast, hard, but disappointing when I finally come off from playing with tons of blisters and a broken G-string.

i play really heavy but melodic stuff, like Killswitch Engage, And i love my Pinch harmonics/squealies ;p
We're Composing our funeral songs, note by note

Let the carcass of the martyr burn
Quote by magnus_maximus
Like sex; Fast, hard, but disappointing when I finally come off from playing with tons of blisters and a broken G-string.

that almost made me lol, which is damn impressive for text on a forum congratz.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Like a chihuahua raping a chicken, this also a good description for my tone.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
If brian may had sex with jimmy page. Then made it somewhat slower

PSN ID: ArranP
Page 1 of 2