It now seems that shred is pushing aside Nu Metal. FINALY!!!!!!!!!!!!
It took a while for people to realize that shred kicks Nu Metal's ass!!!!!!!!!!!

Also exchange names and links of new shred bands and older ones coming back!
"I worked hard. Anyone who works as hard as I did can achieve the same results.” ~ Johann Sebastian Bach
wow welcome to 6 years ago
Quote by bluesychris
Now You Sir have one hell of a guitar and look more alive and look to have more stage presence than anyone else I've seen on this forum
I know that! I'm just saying that it is getting more obvious every day, and that shred clearly has the upper hand against other musical styles competing for the limelight.
"I worked hard. Anyone who works as hard as I did can achieve the same results.” ~ Johann Sebastian Bach
And why would you give a shit? I'd like to keep it as it is, thank you... Don't need any more Dragonforce/Trivium kind of BS.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by JL_Shredder
and that shred clearly has the upper hand against other musical styles competing for the limelight.

Since when was it a "competition for the limelight"? Did I miss something? Last time I checked, this was music, not a competition.
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Quote by TheUltimateSin
Since when was it a "competition for the limelight"? Did I miss something? Last time I checked, this was music, not a competition.

There are different kinds of music, and all music (Though it is a sad statistic) are all helped along by popularity.

Now, I know that there will be some comment about this!^ So, I'll explain what I'm talking about. Though I hate it when people do this, people get into music for girls, parties,etc. So when a style of music becomes the most popular, some people get into it to be popular. It starts showing up on MTV and stuff, and all of a sudden, BOOM! Hundreds of bands are starting to shred, and it is on top!

^To support this, think about when Nu Metal and Grunge took hold. You barely heard shred on the radio, people were wearing Nirvana shirts, and bands like Ratt (I don't care who you are Warren DeMartini was a shredder), Dio, and Savatage were forgotten by a lot of people, and it's sad! Even Metallica had some trouble.

Only the best kept going.

Then people got tired of Nu Metal, because it was getting boring, a few bands decide that they want to shred, and the shred revolution started up again, and it's still rolling.

If I left anything out, PLEASE tell me!
Again, no thanks. Who cares if you hear "shred" on the radio?

Furthermore... What did that reply actually say? I don't really see the relevance to the post you quoted. Competition for limelight? I'd say that's an insult to a genre/style of music.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
JL_Shredder, I'm thinking you have a warped view on this. I agree with Resi; that's rather insulting to the music.
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
I think he is saying that after the initail boom of popularity, which creates some greats and many copycats, the trend dies off and only the greats continue.

Basically, popularity creates many artists, and the decline separates the best from the rest.
Quote by Righteous
Is that Chuck Norris in your avator? I never thought of him as a shredder really... a shredder of bodies maybe.

Member: "I died a little inside when Steve Irwin died...RIP" club. Put in your sig to join

Self Proclaimed Master of Typos
Competition kills music. When bands "compete for the limelight" they lose all sense of originality and instead play what they think people want to hear. The same can be said about these bands that "shred" on the radio. Truth be told, some of the greatest musicians in the world will never be famous. But do they give a shit? No. They are into music for expression and not money.
Quote by DeathDealer
you people are daft

"You rise as high as your dominant aspiration, you descend to the level of your lowest concept of yourself. Free your mind and your ass will follow." Funkadelic

Member #7 of the Peavey is Amazing Club
Personally, I can't stand 2000 gazillion nps shred. It's senseless to me. I'd like to be able to play really fast as well, and am getting there, but all this kind of power metal shred really grinds my nerves (see dragonforce). I wish there was more tastefull shredding ala Dimebag going on, instead of these guitar showoff licks. not that I don't like listening to them sometimes, I just really hate non-melodic shredding, or just scales up and down super fast.
I grew up listening to "Nu Metal", like Disturbed, Slipknot, SOAD, Korn and whatnot, and I still like it. Just because I'm more into Prog now doesn't mean I won't listen to the more "simple" kind of music, there's a time, place and mood for everything, and just because something is harder to play doesn't mean it's better. I'd rather listen to the Beatles over Dragonforce any day.
Hmmm Dragonforce aren't really representative of 'power metal shred'. Even though I used to like them.....
RE: Al DiMeola
Quote by Bill69

he sucks, why woudlnt u play guitar with a pick? oh ya, thats cuz you suck. kerry king owns whoever this guy is

Member 03 of the Yngwie Malmsteen fanclub PM Yngwie Malmstien to join.
I know, Angra are sweet
RE: Al DiMeola
Quote by Bill69

he sucks, why woudlnt u play guitar with a pick? oh ya, thats cuz you suck. kerry king owns whoever this guy is

Member 03 of the Yngwie Malmsteen fanclub PM Yngwie Malmstien to join.
Quote by zebrahead234
I think he is saying that after the initail boom of popularity, which creates some greats and many copycats, the trend dies off and only the greats continue.

Basically, popularity creates many artists, and the decline separates the best from the rest.

Yes, thank you.
Hammerforce, that quote in your sig is horrible

Anyway... it'd be nice to hear some tasteful shred on the radio (not that I don't listen to, for instance, Dragonforce), rather than music which is "coming into the limelight" for other reasons.
Last edited by TheNthDimension at Mar 19, 2007,
Quote by flamencogod
If you want to hear power shred metal, listen to the new Angra album.

I agree. I love Angra.