I will start building a guitar very soon, this will be the first guitar I build but i will only build the body and buy the neck. All i want to know if it's easier to make a bolt-on or a neck-thru. Now, i know many (or all of you) will say that bolt-on is easier, but I don't know i mean neck-thru just seems easier because all I have to do is cut the wings of a body blank and glue them to the neck, then shape the heel sides where they connect. If it's bolt on wouldn't it be harder to make the neck pocket very precise to fit the neck?
I'm not trying to make this as a statement, i just need help deciding what to do, i'm not an expert.
The thing about neck thru's is you glue the neck in at an angle to the wings achieve proper neck angle so your action isn't too high.

It isn't hard to make a tight fitting neck pocket with the use of templates and template folloing router bits.
Quote by dave293
The thing about neck thru's is you glue the neck in at an angle to the wings achieve proper neck angle so your action isn't too high.

It isn't hard to make a tight fitting neck pocket with the use of templates and template folloing router bits.

how do you know how much angle is needed for that?
That's where i was thinking of getting the neck. I don't think the angle would be such a problem. Like you said, it depends on the bridge, well i want to get a low type of bridge so i don't think i would need to angle the neck.
Hmm, by my logic it'd be easier to recess the bridge if the angle is too low on a neck-through than to make a really great neck pocket/neck heel. Also, depending on the bridge, you might not need much of an angle at all. Strat-style bridges are about as tall as the fretboard.
Up to you, dude. People have chimed in with what advice they have. Your decision is yours and yours alone. If you think you're up for it, then go for it. If you don't think you can, then don't try. Besides, a bolt-on with a TOM bridge needs the same angle as a neck-through with a TOM.

Personally, I'd think neck-through is easier for a one-off. That's what I'm going for when I eventually start out.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Personally, I'd think neck-through is easier for a one-off. That's what I'm going for when I eventually start out.

Yeah i think so too, well then I will make it neck-thru. Thanks for your help and to everyone else's.