I have heard that if you reinstall the windows XP disc in your computer, it deletes all files and gets rid of all viruses permanantly. Is this true? Will it also get rid of private things like phone numbers and credit card information that is in my computer? Thanks.
When you reinstall Windows you usually need to reformat your hard drive so yeah, EVERYTHING on it is gone. You start with a clean slate.
But it doesn't mean you'll have permanent protection against viruses.

(I think I may have misunderstood here).

Yes what you're saying is right, when you said about "viruses permanently" I thought you meant you wouldn't get viruses ever again on the PC.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last edited by JamieB at Mar 16, 2007,
Ok, cool. does windows reformat the drives automatically, or do I have to do that somehow? If I do, can you show me how. I may be getting a new computer, and Im thinking of giving this one to charity or to the Goodwill or something, but I dont want people to be able to see personal shit.
Quote by JamieB
But it doesn't mean you'll have permanent protection against viruses.

Yeah, it just gets rid of the viruses currently on your computer and any dirty downloads that make have ushered them in...
Quote by thetoastinator
it deletes all files and gets rid of all viruses permanantly..

not permanently
i just did that about an hour and a half ago. now its asking me for a activation code. i gave it the code and it says it isnt the right one, but if its the one off the computer then call them. looks like ill be talking to microsoft shortly.
Quote by fallenangel20

And thanks MotleyCrueSATD, that was pretty awesome.

Quote by hemi-san
the truth he speaks well, harken unto his word.
if you have a virus, when you reformat make sure you zero your hard drive, you can dload a disk to do it by going to the site of the company that makes your hard drive. and yes, it gets rid of everything.
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
Quote by happytimeharry
Yeah, it just gets rid of the viruses currently on your computer and any dirty downloads that make have ushered them in...

Yeah, I went back and edited, I wasn't sure whether I misunderstood or something
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Quote by Rapid_Fire
not permanently

yes permanently.

Quote by MotleyCrueSATD
i just did that about an hour and a half ago. now its asking me for a activation code. i gave it the code and it says it isnt the right one, but if its the one off the computer then call them. looks like ill be talking to microsoft shortly.

you can only use each code once, regradless of whether its the same computer or not.
Quote by Charlatan_001
Uh-oh. People might mistake you for a homosexual if you buy a purple pedal.

Quote by Shredlet
You own an Rg2570E and you live in Australia I to you sir!
Quote by rustic_metal
yes permanently.

No, NOT permanently. Permanent protection of viruses would insinuate that he would never get another virus, just because he reinstalled Windows. All reinstalling and reformatting does is start you over again. You can always get new viruses if you don't know what you are doing.
Quote by rustic_metal

you can only use each code once, regradless of whether its the same computer or not.

Damn, so this means I couldnt use my old windows disk on the computer because Ive used it before?
Quote by thetoastinator
Damn, so this means I couldnt use my old windows disk on the computer because Ive used it before?

no i dont think you'd be able to. but i grabbed a cd key off the bottom of my laptop (which i presume has been used before) and used it on my desktop and it worked fine. windows piracy protection is dodgy lol.
Quote by Charlatan_001
Uh-oh. People might mistake you for a homosexual if you buy a purple pedal.

Quote by Shredlet
You own an Rg2570E and you live in Australia I to you sir!
you should be able to use it again...... people are allowed to wipe their computers off..... plus if he is offline there is no way for it to know that the code has already been used....
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
when you reformat, its exactly like getting a new computer.
Quote by cagnius
I'd rather be spooning than doing my essay...