Page 1 of 2
Okay, before I say anything here, I would like to say that I have heard that Fenders sound amazing and have only heard good things, and everyone has their individual tastes.

But... am I the only one who finds Fender guitars generally unattractive? The Strat shape really annoys me, as it is everywhere, and has gotten boring. I also despise white pickguards. Some telecasters look decent in my opinion, but I wouldn't say they're pretty guitars. Why don't they have V and Explorer shapes? Or just unique shapes in general? I'm sure they'd sell more.

I don't know. They look like grandpa guitars to me. Anyone else feel this way?

Again, I'm sure they're great guitars, and my taste in gear is probably just ****ed up.

Any opinions?
Last edited by northerfan666 at Mar 16, 2007,
It's not about how they look, it's the fact that the guitar sounds fantastic no matter what you're playing into it, unlike the aforementioned Flying V's and Explorers which are only good for two genres of music tops. Also, they're very comfortable to play, unlike your guitars of choice, which don't really have anyway to sit and play with a comfortable leg rest.
lol the title tricked me in

but i share your opinion, they dont have any nice shapes (and i dont really like the sound since im more of a hardcore guy)
Are you implying that fenders don't sell?

No dude, if they changed to shapes, they're sales would plummet. It's just the vibe that goes with them. Besides, many people (including me) view explorers and Vs as tacky.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
if they had a explorer style shape it would have more wood thus being heavier. i like my strat because its pretty light, but its a squier. also, not everyone wants a guitar like that, for instance if you play for church you would look stupid playing a v or something like that. just my opinions

80th best UGer
Why the hell did you title this thread "My suicide thread..." like dude, it's not about your attempts at suicide.
And yes i agree, i never really did like the way the fender guitars look. But, it's not how they look, its how they preform.
Ok there's nothing wrong with not liking a guitar shape.

And noselfesteem you are a moron if you honestly think a strat can pull of metal at all let alone better than a Flying V or explorer.

In fact strats are really only good for blues and cleans unless they have a humbucker.

god I hate biased idiots like you
There is always a wish that Fender would make a new design just for the hell of it. But they can't. Because they suck. The End.
"His clothes are dirty, but his hands are clean" - Lay Lady Lay
I also think explorer's and V's are tacky, far too many people buy them for looks (is there any other reason to buy a V???)

Fender's are sexy, and that's coming from a Gibson man. Besides, who cares if they don't look good, they're still the second best guitar company on the planet

Quote by Ihearthetfield

And noselfesteem you are a moron if you honestly think a strat can pull of metal at all let alone better than a Flying V or explorer.

In fact strats are really only good for blues and cleans unless they have a humbucker.

hmm... *thinks of metal bands that use strats and teles*

*thinks of several*
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
get a sg if you dont want any weight. Bend your thumb, then bend your other, put them next to eachother and then u have the width of the body of a sg! ( u like that similie thing right there)
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
I did not say anything about playability, tone, or Fenders not selling. I'm just saying don't you think if they had some different shapes and guitars w/ humbuckers and maybe even FLs, they would sell more? I'm not saying they scrap the beloved stat models for some over the top metal shape. I'm just saying that Fender has kind of turned me off by it's looks. THere I said it. What's wrong with a guitar looking nice?

And again, it's all taste. I really like V shapes. Some people hate 'em.
oh, and sorry to double post, but teh suicide thing was to draw attention to the thread as well as refer to the death by flaming I was expecting by posting what some may consider an "anti-fender" thread.
Quote by hamish5178
I also think explorer's and V's are tacky, far too many people buy them for looks (is there any other reason to buy a V???)

Fender's are sexy, and that's coming from a Gibson man. Besides, who cares if they don't look good, they're still the second best guitar company on the planet

hmm... *thinks of metal bands that use strats and teles*

*thinks of several*

name them please
thats because with a few exceptions, fender and gibson are the only orginal guitars. everything else is basically based off of these guitars, so they pretty much are the stereotypes. Like i said there are exceptions
Quote by cagnius
I'd rather be spooning than doing my essay...
Well, I agree...look doesn't really matter, but I'd much rather have a Fender...and that's coming from a guy who owns a V and an Explorer.

Believe me, you can barely sit down with them, and there isn't as much versatality as say, a strat. Also, the look of them(both black w/ white pickguard)/shape, is all metally, whic I don't like metal...that's why I'm getting a Mustang or Fat Strat soon...

And also...Jaguar, Mustang, Tornado, Cyclone...all cool shapes.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Thread title fixed.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
All shapes other than a dinky/strat/tele/lp/etc. are gay. and whe your a real man you wont buy a guitar just because of the looks. sure it helps but until you play it its a peice of wood.
^lol

thanks for bumping my thread so I can get even more attention. :P

But yeah, I'm sure if I played a Fender I would like them, but they could have a little variety, right?
Fender doesn't make V's or Explorer's because those are already out there, and aren't really Fender's style. They have a market and a consumer base, they know what they are doing and who they cater to. They have more metaly things like the Showmaster and some special edition strats and teles but the Strat and Tele, and to a lesser extent the Jaguar and Mustang type guitars are their mainstay and they have been for a very long time. If you want a V, buy a gibson or something.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Wow, since when does your sexual orientation affect your "manliness"? Sure there are flamboyant homosexuals, but there are flamboyant straight guys, too. Stop being ignorant.

And just because a guitar looks nice doesn't make it "crap". Companies such as Jackson, BC Rich (yes, they ahve nice models), Ibanez, and ESP are pretty mainstream right? "Someone", must like their sound.
Quote by the5thhorseman
Doesn't Iron Maiden use Strats Ihearthetfield???

Christ.

mate
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by Ihearthetfield

wtf was that?

i play hard rock (no metal anymore :tear and i use a SSS strat...
Wow, there's a lot of very opinionated responses here making absolute statements about whether a guitar is good or no good based on it's shape.

I don't think any of that is as important as how well the guitar is made. Flying V's? I own two of them. They have phenomenal upper fret access and are lightweight.

Explorers? I have two of those as well, incredibly balanced and the shape distributes the weight better than my les paul, which is more centered.

There's a lot of generalization (not just here) that the "radical" body shapes like explorers and v's are only good for metal and the other ones aren't, but I've seen plenty of blues, rock, and country artists playing them as well.

I'll be honest, my first gutiar was a washburn g-10v (strat shape) and i counted the days until i could get something "cool" like a b.c. rich warlock. So I know what it's like to want a guitar that fits what you think a guitar should look like, but

As I've gotten older, I've gained an appreciation for things like tone, playability, etc. I think it's natural to want to look like a rockstar when you're oyung and starting out and everyone's tastes in guitars are, well, personal to them. I appreciate the "classic" models a lot more than I used to when I was trying to cast off years of classical music background.

It's pretty closed minded to say fenders suck or pointy guitars are for fags. fender did try to get into that market years ago, do a search on the Fender Katana. Now they have Jackson to get their radical shape fix through. Their bread and butter models will continue to enjoy many years of success because the classics never go out of style.

The classic shapes will always be classic shapes. Historically we see that when they were first introduced, the explorer and flying v were produced in EXTREMELY limited quantities due to lack of interest, mainly stemming from conservatism. When a historically correct run of them was produced in the early 80's along with the Moderne, we see that they never finished their planned run of Modernes because it was still too radical almost 30 years after the fact to generate sales interest. Fromw hat I've read, they seem to be very good sounding guitars, but most of the world will never know because of preconceptions people have on appearance translating to sound. Meanwhile, the original pointy gutiars, the flyign v and explorer are now something of classics in their own right. Remember that these shapes date back to 1957.

At the end of the day, get what makes you happy. Something that sounds good, is a joy to play and brings a smile to your face.
Last edited by Hydra26 at Mar 16, 2007,
Over the years, Fender has had some crazy guitars, with equally crazy designs. But the ones that keep selling are srats and teles, they're classics, hence why they're still around.

As suggested, maybe try looking at a jag etc. Or maybe try a strat, but one with different than standard colours, nice black pickguard, different knobs etc.

I think I have natural talent for guitar because I'm left handed and I use that hand to pleasure myself. Seeing as I started playing after most of intense masturbating-teen years, the dexterity was already there.
Looking at some more Fenders, some actually look pretty nice. I take back my prejudiced statement.

Now that I think about it, what I really dislike are cheap looking black stratlike models with a white pickguard.

Sorry for the Fender bashing. :P

But it really IS a matter of personal taste.
Anything can play anything, tone is all preference

I happen to like playing a telecaster with single coils for metal becasue it stays bright and defined even in low tunings like drop B(I don't use that often, but I have once or twice)

If you are only getting attention from your guitar's shape you need help. Your playing and tone should be most important.
Quote by Ihearthetfield

you know like yngwie... or iron miaden...or stratosphere... god so biased

a telecaster is good for: funk, ska, rock,alternative,country, hardcore, surf, metal (with humbucker), and prog rock...and yes blues... you can die now

a strat can do anything dealing with cleans... i wont argue with you on a strat's distorted sound but never say a tele is only good for blues and cleans
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
I'd agree with what keef says about anyone being able to play anything. Hence, why I think the quality of the instrument is probably the most important thing. As far as any factor of appearance, now you're getting into aesthetics, which is almost PURELY for show. So it's important to the performer as much as how they dress and want to present themselves and be comfortable but having a Rhoads model doens't make you better at playing metal although the shape may lend itself to certain techniques (especialyl in the upper reaches) than a les paul (which is clearly superior for other techniques). People have different personal tastes in guitars, cars, women, beer, all manner of things. I'd no sooner tell someone the guitar they like is crap than that they have horrible taste in women.
Stats are very good for metal, the single coils give them an amazing sound with lots of distortion, and to name some bands that use them, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Deep Purple, Yngwie Malmsteen, and Tom Morello just to name a few. And as far as saying that strats are not good for anything other that clean mork is just dumb. Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Pete Townshend, and lots of others have used the strat for non clean stuff.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
^

maiden used rails, morello used a humbucker, and yngwi used stacked hb's.

scs (unless emgs) suck for metal.

and plz, deep purple isnt metal, and if im correct, neither is morello.

and metallica didnt use sc's nor did they use strats.
Last edited by Arlabester at Mar 16, 2007,
Well I think hydra26 pretty much ended the arguement, as hes 100% correct.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Quote by Ihearthetfield

yea, that band iron maiden didnt play metal at all, they just play smooth jazz*sarcasm*
i believe that it is you that are in fact biased my friend
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Quote by Ihearthetfield
name them please

I don't listen to metal, but I can still name Tom Morello and John 5 as players who use Telecasters. Gary Hoey, who's kind of shred-ish, uses a strat, Richie Blackmore used a strat, Alice Cooper's guitarist (i'm blanking on the name), used a strat.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by northerfan666
The Strat shape really annoys me, as it is everywhere, and has gotten boring. .

and then

Why don't they have V and Explorer shapes? Or just unique shapes in general? I'm sure they'd sell more.

therefore those guitars will become overrated too

i find the strat really cool, and the teles too (even if everybody think they're ugly), but most people focus in the tone instead of the looks
ROFL XIFR.

I thought it said "attenuator seeker"...YOU TRICKED ME.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Hydra26
Explorers? I have two of those as well, incredibly balanced and the shape distributes the weight better than my les paul, which is more centered.

Balance on an explorer is a lil fiddly. If you have the strap button on the heel, its nice n balanced. But if its on the side/top, it'll neck dive
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
I left mine in the stock location, the heel. no issues. no reason to fix what ain't broke In any event nothing I do to it could ever make the neck dive like the old warlock I used to play, and really, that didn't stop me from learning how to play.

I think they're only in the other spot on the custom shop korina model, the epiphone model or when the user moves it. Hell I don't even need straplocks the way it is.
Last edited by Hydra26 at Mar 17, 2007,
Page 1 of 2