in your opinion, which band(s) or solo artist(s) do think are the greatest songwriters of all time? It could be either musically or lyrically, so state which. For me, i think the beatles are up there with led zep.
This really should be in the band & artists section, not a sub-forum. Because IMO, Maynard James Keenan of Tool is the best song-writer of all time, and he isn't exactly 'Classic Rock'.

Another great one that wouldn't fit is Kurt Cobain. His songs were very simple, but there is a beauty in his simplicity.
I find the Irony in you putting this thread in the Classic Rock forum. I can imagine you being a kid in his parent's musical fantasy. But I'd have to say that Bob Dylan is one of the best, with Tim Armstrong, Fat Mike, and especially Brett/Greg from Bad religion
Jim Morrison or Bob Dylan have written the best songs, lyric wise. For guitar I'd have to either go with Jerry Garcia who is a great guitarist and improvisor and has written many songs, Keith Richards whose written a crazy amount of unforgettable licks and riffs, or Jimi Hendrix who redefined guitar and modern music
Dave Gilmore and Roger Waters are some pretty good lyricists. Not to mention George Harrison, when john and paul actually let him write.
i guess i thought you'd realize that im asking for who you think is the greatest CLASSIC ROCK songwriter. sorry, i should've said, but i thought that everyone would realize!
Lyrically, Bob Dylan.

Musically, I suppose Led Zeppelin, or actually Muse's Matt Bellamy may be the best band songwriter around, musically.
John Lennon.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
^ Not Classic Rock! You're in the Classic Rock Forum for a reason!
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
I like Neil Young and Bowie.

There are others that I'm forgetting, but whatever lol. No point in a huge list anyway.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
How about John Fogerty? He's classic rock.
"Isn't it amazing anything's accomplished
When the little sensation gets in your way
Not one ambition whisperin' over your shoulder
Isn't it amazing you can do anything " - Gord Downie

From the song " Fireworks"
gilmour waters, jagger richards
Bishop of Zeppelinism - PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Quote by AdayTripper
If the teletubby has a vagina, I'll stick my dick in there.
Quote by metallicaPOOS
i guess i thought you'd realize that im asking for who you think is the greatest CLASSIC ROCK songwriter. sorry, i should've said, but i thought that everyone would realize!

Dude... Noone gets that... They just find a thread and post their favorite bands. You really should move this thread because it should cover all genres, not just CR.

Anyway, for lyrics I'd say Neil Peart. But it's all in who you like. It all depends on what style you like. The realistic style that dwells on reall matters, good and bad, or the style that is more like a fantasy, painting a picture in your mind with the music to create beautiful images. It's all in what you like the best.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
For lyrics, Dylan. You can't underestimate all those poetic tracks he wrote.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.