Right now I have a good overdrive pedal (modified tubescreamer) and I'm considering buying a new amp. I have been looking at some of the non-master volume Marshalls (1974/1987/JTM reissue models etc), because I really like their tone. However, these only have one channel. Can I use the overdrive pedal as a second channel? I'm wondering if anyone does this and how it would sound. I play classic rock and some newer higher-gain rock as well. Price range up to $1500. I'm up to any suggestions (including other amps!)
ya you could, but imo pretty pointless. You could get a volume box, basically a stomp pedal that lowers level instead of having to do it by guitar volume. then you could use the Ts for a boost..

Also which would be more important to you, modern rock or classic?
Hmm.. I would nearly recommend the Jcm 900. But its crunch isnt as... well.. good as the Jtm etc. But I still think you should check it out. Its a nice amp like!
Vintage Marshalls have more than one channel, They are incredibly versatile. However instead of given a channel switcher you're given a guitar volume knob to use.
Gear: Yamaha AES 620 Equipped with SD JB+APH-1
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Equipped with BKP Mothers Milk
Fender Pro Jr., Traynor YCV 50, Diamond J-Drive MK3, Fulltone 70's Fuzz, Teese RMC Wizard Wah, Boss dd-3, Boss CE-5, Korg DT-10 pedal tuner.
Well, the OD wouldn't really be a second channel. However, you can use it to overdrive your amp, creating a more distorted tone. But yeah, it should work for you, just get a halfway decent OD.
Quote by Burtonjp
Vintage Marshalls have more than one channel, They are incredibly versatile. However instead of given a channel switcher you're given a guitar volume knob to use.

+1. If its good enough for Hendrix, its good enough for you.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by xifr
+1. If its good enough for Hendrix, its good enough for you.

you dont think that hendrix would have taken advantage of more options for sound given the choice? ignoring the obvious irony of copying innovators of the past, i just think the fanboy attitude doesnt really help answer the threadstarters question.

about using overdrives, i think there are a bunch of pedals meant just for that purpose (off the top of my head, all those radial tonebone pedals, the jekyll&hyde, the box of rock, the mesa v twin, etc) im sure if you looked around, youd find waht you need.

edit: ok now that i read this again it sounds like you were pretty toungue in cheek and i just jumped at you being an ass. im sorry, itres just there are some people who annoy me with their "back int he good ol days, hendrix did this or that and thats exactly how im gonna do it" or "ive only heard 3 songs off are you experienced?, but i heard hes a guitar god so im gonna worship him too"
Last edited by lightbulbs on?! at Mar 17, 2007,